Contribute
Register

Success: Catalina on Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a complete, fresh install ...

1) Did you use UniBeast or some other method?

2) Do you have any peripheral USB devices plugged-in besides keyboard and mouse?

3) Wireless or Ethernet?

:)
1. To do the install I ran the OS X installer from Catalina to install a fresh version of OS X on a fresh (different) drive. The EFI had already been created on my boot drive with configs that have been working since Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, etc. .and all the kexts updated (see screen shot)

2. I have keyboard plugged in, mouse has a dongle (its a Logitech G900), then there is also a USB camera attached. Have included a screen shot of the USB page of Hackintool.

3. Wireless. Connected to the network using wireless only.

Screenshot 2019-12-05 at 22.54.33.pngScreenshot 2019-12-05 at 22.55.03.pngScreenshot 2019-12-05 at 22.56.12.pngScreenshot 2019-12-05 at 22.56.35.pngScreenshot 2019-12-05 at 22.56.43.pngScreenshot 2019-12-05 at 22.56.56.pngScreenshot 2019-12-05 at 23.02.36.png

Sorry to read you are continuing to have crashes. I wish I could help as you have me. My system was up for 4 hours this morning without a crash. I would think it's something small that's causing your problem.
Thanks. It feels like that too. With a fresh Catalina install. Completely standard Kexts, with the only program installed, is Hackingtool and nothing, after about 45 minutes just crashes. I am completely stumped. I've unplugged the Camera from the USB. The only other device worth mentioning is a bluetooth card. That's it. And this physical hardware was fine under Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave. Would appreciate any guidance on how to diagnose a system crash. Looking at the system log (above): am not sure how to hone down on this issue beyond that.. Thanks, Carl

Thanks. It feels like that too. With a fresh Catalina install. Completely standard Kexts, with the only program installed, is Hackingtool and nothing, after about 45 minutes just crashes. I am completely stumped. I've unplugged the Camera from the USB. The only other device worth mentioning is a bluetooth card. That's it. And this physical hardware was fine under Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave. Would appreciate any guidance on how to diagnose a system crash. Looking at the system log (above): am not sure how to hone down on this issue beyond that.. Thanks, Carl
Just to circle back on this. I tried removing every USB device so that there was only a keyboard and mouse. I also removed the Fenvi 919 bluetooth card (even though that works). Basically stripped this down to a minimal system. Even then the rebooting problem persists. This is very strange! ;-)

Just to circle back on this. I tried removing every USB device so that there was only a keyboard and mouse. I also removed the Fenvi 919 bluetooth card (even though that works). Basically stripped this down to a minimal system. Even then the rebooting problem persists. This is very strange! ;-)
Just one small note - I tested for overheating, thinking that could have caused my crashes. That was not the case. I also wondered if my EVO 970 Plus was in wrong slot. Also not the problem. There are a lot of talented people on this forum - I hope they can help you. Hang in there. This was the toughest upgrade I experienced in over 10 years of Hackintoshing.

Just one small note - I tested for overheating, thinking that could have caused my crashes. That was not the case. I also wondered if my EVO 970 Plus was in wrong slot. Also not the problem. There are a lot of talented people on this forum - I hope they can help you. Hang in there. This was the toughest upgrade I experienced in over 10 years of Hackintoshing.
Thanks. I have tried so many things -- stripping it down; removing every device; a clean install of Catalina, etc. Unfortunately since I had thought that it had successfully installed I wiped my Mojave backup (big mistake) so now Apple has tried very hard to remove the downgrade path it's very frustrating.

Anyway, am currently trying using the VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC. Am wondering if that will give greater stability. Running this the machine has been alive now with Catalina for about 30minutes... The average time to a crash/reboot on the previous setup was 1h30m, so we will see.

On the placement of the Evo 970, etc. I agree this is not the problem. Also agree this is the most unstable upgrade for as long as I can remember (about a decade).

Out of interest what BIOS version are you running on your motherboard? I am wondering about that too.. Thanks, Carl

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.18.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 12.18.13 PM.png
    145.2 KB · Views: 57
Thanks. I have tried so many things -- stripping it down; removing every device; a clean install of Catalina, etc. Unfortunately since I had thought that it had successfully installed I wiped my Mojave backup (big mistake) so now Apple has tried very hard to remove the downgrade path it's very frustrating.

Anyway, am currently trying using the VirtualSMC instead of FakeSMC. Am wondering if that will give greater stability. Running this the machine has been alive now with Catalina for about 30minutes... The average time to a crash/reboot on the previous setup was 1h30m, so we will see.

On the placement of the Evo 970, etc. I agree this is not the problem. Also agree this is the most unstable upgrade for as long as I can remember (about a decade).

Out of interest what BIOS version are you running on your motherboard? I am wondering about that too.. Thanks, Carl

Sadly; doesn't make any difference. The system still randomly reboots with no warning after 45 minutes or so. I have no idea how to diagnose this. A search of the system.log in console for 'reboot' again reveals:

Dec 8 12:37:20 mac-desktop suhelperd[679]: objc[679]: Class KeychainMasterHandler is implemented in both /usr/lib/libIASAuthReboot.dylib and /System/Library/CoreServices/Software Update.app/Contents/Resources/suhelperd. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

I'm actually pretty suspicious of the overall stability of Catalina. Am thinking about trying out the developer beta (currently version 10.15.2 beta 4..) as this system is so unstable one may as well try a Beta!

Last edited:

I'll check and get back to you after I next boot up. On my MacBook Pro at the minute.

Your EFI was very helpful, thank you! I reached 18 minutes without a crash, so I decided to install the 10.15.1 update from the .dmg I had downloaded. To be clear, I also have the 10.15.1 installer to do a clean install, but did not use it this morning - just the update .dmg.

I was able to install 10.15.1 and have seen stability for about 45 minutes. I haven't tested it longer than that. I was also able to make a bootable backup on an external SSD with CCC.

I deleted Chrome but could not find the other Google application on my system.

I have been rebuilding kext caches using terminal and your command, but frankly that's all over my head - so I don't know if I'm improving stabliity, etc., or when I should stop repeating that process.

I will continue to test for stability. Again, thanks for your help.
Dear Rheneas: sorry to bother you. It just occurred to me that I included my serial number in that clover config/ EFI. If you used the file would you mind please generating a new one for your machine (open RFI, then the clover.plist file and regenerate the Serial number: otherwise it’s going to create some confusion on iMessage etc with Apple,.. thanks!) -Carl

Dear Rheneas: sorry to bother you. It just occurred to me that I included my serial number in that clover config/ EFI. If you used the file would you mind please generating a new one for your machine (open RFI, then the clover.plist file and regenerate the Serial number: otherwise it’s going to create some confusion on iMessage etc with Apple,.. thanks!) -Carl
Not to worry. I created a new serial number after testing with your EFI folder.

Currently using F22 BIOS. Will get back to you with my settings, but my guess is yours are correct.

Sorry to be slow to get to this. Here are my important BIOS settings. Please let me know if you want to know more of them:

Advanced Memory Settings (X.M.P): Profile1

BIOS
Fast Boot: Disabled
Windows 8/10 Features: Other OS
Other PCI devices: UEFI

PERIPHERALS
Initial Display Output: PCIe 1 Slot
Super IO Configuration - Serial Port: Disabled
USB Configuration - Legacy USB Support: Enabled
- XHCI Hand-off: Enabled

CHIPSET
VT-d: Disabled