Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys,

first of all. Thanks to everyone involved with this project. It is just amazing to being able to use my gaming PC which is dead silent to boot OS X and have something to work with on the same machine. I just finished my first Hackintosh and wanted to provide some information for others and have a few questions as well.

My Build: Gigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H with Core i5 3450 and Nvidia GTX 660

Information regarding BIOS setup can be found here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/99-quick-guide-configuring-uefi-gigabyte-s-7-series-lga-1155-boards.html

Remark: I still have the seemingly older F1 BIOS and I di

For installation: UniBeast with 10.8.3 from AppStore installed without any additional boot flags just following the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/61-unibeast-install-os-x-mountain-lion-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html

Question: Why is that? Isn't GraphicsEnabler=Yes a default option during the first boot into the installer? Shouldn't that fail, because booting the main system this option causes a failing boot.

Remark: I already had Windows 7 installed on another separate hard drive which still boots fine after the installation of Mountain Lion.

Post installation: For reference, these other threads cover this particular board:

- http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...am-dual-boot-mountain-lion-10-8-1-win7-7.html
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...ntain-lion-10-8-1-win7-working-fantastic.html
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...k-ga-q77m-d2h-16gb-ram-nvidia-gt-640-4gb.html
- http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-lion-desktop-support/64673-multibeast-options-ga-q77m-d2h.html

Following the examples above, I figured I'd install:

MultiBeast Install Options:
- UserDSDT or DSDT-Free Installation
- Audio > Realtek ALC8xx > Without DSDT > ALC887/888b > vXXXX Current
- Network > Kext hnak’s AppleIntelE1000e Ethernet
- BootOptions: GraphicsEnabler=No

As of the short testing of mine everything seems to work. But still, some questions remain.

- Power Management: There seems to be a thread around here stating that you need to do some additional things to get PowerManagement working. However, the options for Chimera set from DSDT-Free Installation already include options for C- and P-States. I'm a bit lost here. Is my CPU throttling (and boosting!) as in a native system or is there anyhting else I need to do? Some threads suggest to install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but this seems to disable power management, or doesn't it. Some insight would be appreciated. Also interesting regarding the gpu which has a power saving feature as well, I think.

- PCIRoot: The default for the installer seems to be PCIRootUID=1 but I did not choose this option in MultiBeast. I am just wondering why the installer and the system work with (seemingly) different settings here.

- HDMI Audio: This is not working currently or better. There is no option allowing me to choose the HDMI audio for my gpu. I've read a bit along the thread but it seems to be too much tinkering for me to patch some kexts myself. I am happy with optical from the board but my question is: Wouldn't it be possible to offer HDMI Audio functionality via a MultiBeast option? This would be much easier for newcomers like me.

- Testing system stability: How to do that? I am quite happy with the result but before I migrate from my old MacBook I'd like to be sure that everything will work fine. Any ideas what to test? Anything I should worry about?

- Kexts: As I am a registered App developer I also wanted go give 10.9 a try (I know, no discussion here!) - but with regard to this endeavour I'd like to know if there was a way to identify the kexts installed by MultiBeast for Audio and Network to manually copy them over to the new system. Can anybody identify which kexts I should carry over?

Thanks for your insight and keep up the good work!

No one? Some help regarding my questions would be very appreciated!

Hi guys,

As of the short testing of mine everything seems to work. But still, some questions remain.

- Power Management: There seems to be a thread around here stating that you need to do some additional things to get PowerManagement working. However, the options for Chimera set from DSDT-Free Installation already include options for C- and P-States. I'm a bit lost here. Is my CPU throttling (and boosting!) as in a native system or is there anyhting else I need to do? Some threads suggest to install NullCPUPowerManagement.kext but this seems to disable power management, or doesn't it. Some insight would be appreciated. Also interesting regarding the gpu which has a power saving feature as well, I think.

In standard unmodified form your CPU will work at a low idle speed, when your CPU needs more power it goes straight to the next step - full speed. If Side Stepping is enabled, then your CPU has an incremental number of steps in increased speed to use enabled.

- PCIRoot: The default for the installer seems to be PCIRootUID=1 but I did not choose this option in MultiBeast. I am just wondering why the installer and the system work with (seemingly) different settings here.

Sometimes that is how it goes.

- HDMI Audio: This is not working currently or better. There is no option allowing me to choose the HDMI audio for my gpu. I've read a bit along the thread but it seems to be too much tinkering for me to patch some kexts myself. I am happy with optical from the board but my question is: Wouldn't it be possible to offer HDMI Audio functionality via a MultiBeast option? This would be much easier for newcomers like me.

There are too many variable required. Every setup is different. Motherboard, CPU and Graphics options and identifier codes. This website is run by people who also have full time jobs. It is better that those who wish to have working HDMI audio follow the guidelines.

- Testing system stability: How to do that? I am quite happy with the result but before I migrate from my old MacBook I'd like to be sure that everything will work fine. Any ideas what to test? Anything I should worry about?

Blackmagic speed test, Unigine Valley Benchmark, Prime 95 (64bit)

- Kexts: As I am a registered App developer I also wanted go give 10.9 a try (I know, no discussion here!) - but with regard to this endeavour I'd like to know if there was a way to identify the kexts installed by MultiBeast for Audio and Network to manually copy them over to the new system. Can anybody identify which kexts I should carry over?

If you update from 10.8.4 to any other option (10.8.5 when available or Mavericks) then use MultiBeast to reinstall the audio again. If you are running a Hackintosh, then you will always have to do this. Set automatic updates OFF and copy your existing installation across to a second hard drive in case of problems. Note if you use an SSD and have Trim enabled, disable if cloning over to a HDD. Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper are two good software options.

Adrian B

Thanks for your reply. So I'm going to try to get Power Mangement working as soon as possible. Is that even possible with my i5 as it has a Intel 2000 GPU and no 4000 which seems to be required as stated in the sticky. Maybe I'll ask again in the other thread.

One follow-up though:

Note if you use an SSD and have Trim enabled, disable if cloning over to a HDD. Carbon Copy Cloner and Super Duper are two good software options.

I set up cloning using Super Duper (thanks for the suggestion and it was bootable from my backup HDD. But why do I need to disable TRIM? Hearing this for the first time, can you hint to some explanation. Googl'ing didn't help much. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back