Contribute
Register

Success Build!!!: macOS Sierra on gigabyte z97x ud5h+ i7 4770k+ 16gb ram+ gtx 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ReynardFox cool idea using GitHub. I've never used iPhoto but I just booted it up and waited a few minutes, I even threw some pictures in there. I didn't get any crashes or reboots. I'll see if I play around with it more until I encounter a problem.

Update: Something else that came up that I haven't mentioned is loss of audio when the computer goes to sleep. Bluetooth works fine when waking back up, but audio through my audio interface or through my audio out from the computer stop working when the computer wakes back up. So not sure what's going on there.

Last edited:
@adrianstone I don't know how close your config is to mine, but I've had zero crashes since the iPhoto snaffu. And I haven't touched my config since I put it on Github.

So here's a few questions that might help debug this issue:
  1. Are there any differences between your config and mine?
  2. Are the crashes consistent and does it always crash about 5 minutes after booting?
  3. Are you using the Nvidia web drivers? Our builds shouldn't need them. And you shouldn't see any lag when you disable them either. I've tried to use as few hacks as possible to get rid of conflicts.
  4. Was this an upgrade or a clean install? Mine was originally an upgrade, so I had to remove some old, non-working kexts at one point. Main annoying side-effect of upgrading is Spotlight doesn't work.

Update: Did some research on this issue tonight. It looks like this is a known issue with the facial recognition feature in iPhoto on the z97x-ud5h. After opening iPhoto for the first time, the computer reboots within a minute of logging in.

Here's the steps I took to break out of that reboot cycle:
  • Booted into Recovery HD from Clover
  • Opened up Terminal and added an underscore to all iPhoto Libraries
  • Removed the iPhoto Photo Analysis Launch Agent from /System/Library/LaunchAgents:
    Code:
    rm -rf com.apple.photoanaysisd.plist
  • Rebooted and ran successfully for 90 minutes until I shut it down. It was previously auto-rebooting within a minute.
I'll repost here if anything changes.

Hello,
I realize I might be late to the party on this thread, but I think I may be of help for your "auto- rebooting" issue:

I had the same issue when I started using the Photos app in Sierra. It seems as though the app uses a substantial amount of processing power when analyzing photos that it imports from iCloud, and Gigabyte boards do a terrible job at managing default voltages for this generation of processor. As a result, the processor overheats which causes the computer to shut down and endlessly reboot.

My suggestion is to use the Intel Power Gadget to monitor your processor temps when doing any "processor hungry tasks" if your temps peak above 70C, then your motherboard is over volting your processor, and you need to turn down your VCore voltage in the BIOS (it's set to "Auto" by default). In my experience, it works best when it's set around 1.140v - 1.145v.

Manually setting your VCore voltage will prevent your processor from overheating, and hopefully fix your rebooting problem. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hello,
I realize I might be late to the party on this thread, but I think I may be of help for your "auto- rebooting" issue:

I had the same issue when I started using the Photos app in Sierra. It seems as though the app uses a substantial amount of processing power when analyzing photos that it imports from iCloud, and Gigabyte boards do a terrible job at managing default voltages for this generation of processor. As a result, the processor overheats which causes the computer to shut down and endlessly reboot.

My suggestion is to use the Intel Power Gadget to monitor your processor temps when doing any "processor hungry tasks" if your temps peak above 70C, then your motherboard is over volting your processor, and you need to turn down your VCore voltage in the BIOS (it's set to "Auto" by default). In my experience, it works best when it's set around 1.140v - 1.145v.

Manually setting your VCore voltage will prevent your processor from overheating, and hopefully fix your rebooting problem. Hope this helps!

I haven't had any auto-reboots since I worked around this issue 3 months ago. Never cared much for iPhoto anyways...and Lightroom's facial recognition doesn't have this "auto-rebooting" issue. That being said, your solution sounds interesting. I'll have to try that if I run into any future problems.

Update: I switched back to using google chrome, less crashes and I uninstalled any plugins, also note I have adblock on safari which may be contributing to all the crashes. So I'll take off that plugin and see whats going on. Not sure what my next step will be, probably play around in safe mode and see if the crashes are occurring, perhaps going to try and fresh install.

Something else that came up that I haven't mentioned is loss of audio when the computer goes to sleep. Bluetooth works fine when waking back up, but audio through my audio interface or through my audio out from the computer stop working when the computer wakes back up. So not sure what's going on there.

Forgot to mention, but the loss of audio is a common issue that a bunch of hackintoshes have. The z97x-ud5h uses the alc1150 audio codec, which isn't officially supported by OS X. Your best bet would be to install VoodooHDA with the half volume fix. I did not do that with my computer, though, since I'm using an awesome pair of USB speakers : )

Overall I'm happy with the build. One thing that is bugging me and I wonder if it's an issue with the audio driver; when I installed the audio driver and restarted my computer, I had a pixelated YouTube screen and heard hissing from my headphones. This is gone now but it's something that would occur often in Mavericks using google chrome, and my computer would crash at times with that. I had not seen it on this build till I used that driver.

First time responding, hopefully, I've quoted this correctly!

I've found that if videos were turning to colored noise online and often in software also that it was a conflict between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics (even though you are outputting through the dedicated card). It may be worth double checking your BIOS settings and completely disabling integrated graphics through there. This fixed what sounds like the same/a similar issue.

Hello,

This is really interesting - I have been having the random restarting for ages now and I tracked it down to tasks that require the processor to multi-thread. My less-than-ideal fix to date has been to use the "cpus=1" boot flag. This completely eliminated random restarts during Photos, Handbrake, and other intensive operations - unfortunately it also limits theutility of the machine. I am going to try the manual voltage settings and remove the cpus=1 boot flag and see if the system is stable. Will report back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back