Contribute
Register

Success Build!!!: macOS Sierra on gigabyte z97x ud5h+ i7 4770k+ 16gb ram+ gtx 760

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is really interesting - I have been having the random restarting for ages now and I tracked it down to tasks that require the processor to multi-thread. My less-than-ideal fix to date has been to use the "cpus=1" boot flag. This completely eliminated random restarts during Photos, Handbrake, and other intensive operations - unfortunately it also limits theutility of the machine. I am going to try the manual voltage settings and remove the cpus=1 boot flag and see if the system is stable. Will report back.

Update: I was not able to get a stable CPU with any voltage under 1.415. I have been running at that voltage for an hour or so and ran geekbench which is usually enough to crash the system and its still up. Temps were bouncing of 99C during the tests though. Running at 38.3C now during a large file transfer. Will keep you posted.

Update 2: So it turned out that the system was not stable for much longer than an hour. I made the following changes and have managed to keep the system stable for 24 hours and have successfully imported 64,000 photos into a new Lightroom catalog with all cpu's running:
  • Reduced RAM frequency from 1600 to 1333
  • Set VCore to 1.375 (still reducing this until I lose stability)
  • Removed "cpus=1" boot flag
  • Disabled hyperthreading
  • Removed most of the kext patches and the SSDT file
Idle temps have remained at ~38C but toward the end of a big job I've noticed frequency throttling as temps exceed 90C (per feedback from Intel Power Gadget).

Geekbench3 scores now 4005 and 13978 which I can live with as long as Photos / Lightroom are stable now.

Hi there,

I have Mac OS X 10.11.6 on the GA-Z97X-UD5H motherboard. Similar setup.

Ever since my first install on the board, starting around 10.9.x, I've always had to add "-no-zp" (no quotes) to my boot flags, else I'd suffer the same kernel panic at similar intervals as you.

Thank you - will give it a try.

Last edited:
First time responding, hopefully, I've quoted this correctly!

I've found that if videos were turning to colored noise online and often in software also that it was a conflict between integrated graphics and dedicated graphics (even though you are outputting through the dedicated card). It may be worth double checking your BIOS settings and completely disabling integrated graphics through there. This fixed what sounds like the same/a similar issue.
Thank you so much!!! I did have it enabled once I disabled it all the crashes stopped. I'm now on 10.12.6 with no issue. My mavericks install is also running smoothly. I can't believe I forgot that. All these months of frustration haha. Oh well I hope you guys can learn from my mistake. Also I'll see once I have more down time about updating to High Sierra with this build and creating a new guide.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back