Contribute
Register

(Success Build) GIGABYTE Z170X Designare x i7 6700k x macOS Sierra x Dual Boot x USB C Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Designare
Kuke's Build: Z170X Designare - i7-6700K - GTX 950

Components

Intel Core i7 6700K CPU
Corsair H105 CPU Cooler
GIGABYTE Designare Z170x Motherboard
Ballistix Sport LT 16GB RAM
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 950 Xtreme Graphics Card
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (x2)
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB HDD
Corsair AX760 Power Supply
NZXT H440 Mid Tower Case
Fenvi Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/Handoff/Continuity Card

Comments

Introduction
After my MacBook Pro gave out on me in the middle of a recording session with a client, I figured a CustoMac was worth the research. It took a lot of work to get my machine up and running with no hiccups but it was worth it. The only issues I see with this machine are slight problems with my audio interface as well as an occasional kernel panic at start up that requires a restart to fix. These same issues with my interface occurred with my MacBook Pro and a cold reboot is all that is necessary.

The Build
The primary focus of this build was to create a well equipped Pro Tools rig that can handle large sessions with no errors as well as video editing and post production with Adobe software such as Premiere and After Effects. On the more casual side, I wanted to use Windows for occasional music production and gaming. As of today my machine is stable as ever with working Graphics, Audio, Wi-Fi, BT, Handoff, USB-C, Sleep, and even iMessage.

My studio is dependent on Avid's Mbox 3 Pro audio interface which, as some of you may know, uses a legacy FireWire connection. Previously, this FireWire cable worked on Sierra via an adapter for the TB2 port on my old MacBook Pro. My only chance for success was to throw another TB3 adapter on the TB2 adapter that connected to my Mbox's FireWire port. (I know, I know.)

If anyone has read up on successful USB-C/TB3 builds, they require a driver to be installed on a Windows partition that activates the port on your Z170 board. Once this is worked out, you may use USB-C devices on your CustoMac.

Installation
Refer to the typical OS install instructions here. I installed Windows on one SSD and got my rig working 100% on that OS first before I installed Sierra.

If you are using a similar build and would like to get USB-C working, check out this guide.

When using NVIDIA graphic acceleration, check out this guide here to start.

Conclusion

My machine has been working with no issues after trouble shooting and browsing the forum. As far as audio, once I installed the Mbox 3 Pro drivers for my audio interface I had no issues. Occasionally I get a kernel panic on start up but upon restart there is no issue. Should anyone have any idea how this is fixed please let me know. Every system is different and requires different methods to get up and running. If anyone has any questions about my build please ask me. I would love to help however I can.

Nice, out of curiosity, what System Definition are you using?

Great post and system, also running a similar system for a studio computer. Using firewire into an apogee.. Just wondering if you have had success with shutdown... or does it restart.
In order for me to get shutdown, sleep and restart working, I used the app Clover Configurator v2 to edit system files without messing around with any text documents. I highly recommend reading up on the forum and searching YouTube thoroughly in order to learn the many upsides to the app, especially for those uncomfortable with code.

Nice, out of curiosity, what System Definition are you using?
I am running iMac 14,2 with no true issues. Currently all I need to do is boot up in a certain order. Audio Interface > Computer > Mac.

Hello All!

do you have any idea of that boot options always added? Boot Option# http://prntscr.com/e0ifmw (sorry for that bad image)
and after some days even the bios del or f12 button isnt working..

i have the F2 bios version, maybe it happens because of that? or is somethine else?

Thanks!

Hello All!

do you have any idea of that boot options always added? Boot Option# http://prntscr.com/e0ifmw (sorry for that bad image)
and after some days even the bios del or f12 button isnt working..

i have the F2 bios version, maybe it happens because of that? or is somethine else?

Thanks!
Do a CMOS reset on your motherboard. Manual will show you how too. You can either update your BIOS which will get rid of those boot entries or use this guide here [GUIDE] Remove extra Clover BIOS boot entries & prevent further ...

You don't have any issue with the memory? I have the same memory (2 * 16 for me) and motherboard, and I have an error 55. I can't go in the BIOS to change the speed to 2133... Is it OOT for you ?

Hello,

I've got the same Motherboard as you and I'm having some issues with my USB-C Ports, they don't seem to work both ways. USB-C is meant to be reversible and when I plug in a USB3 Flash Drive via an Apple USB-C to USB Type-A Adaptor, I plug into Port 01 which is closest to my DP In and USB-C Works, I flip the plug and plug it in upside down and it works. I move over to Port 02 which is closest to HDMI, I plug it in and it doesn't work, I plug it in upside down and it works. I have replicated Port 02 not working when plugged in right way up on both Windows 10 64 Bit and macOS 10.12.3. Can you verify if you have similar problems when reversing the cable?

Also, when you say:
'If anyone has read up on successful USB-C/TB3 builds, they require a driver to be installed on a Windows partition that activates the port on your Z170 board. Once this is worked out, you may use USB-C devices on your CustoMac.'

Are you referencing the TB Firmware Update? I've done that but I wasn't too sure if it was for TB only or TB/USB-C.

Hey @Kuke Would you say that video card is good for gaming (FPS) and light video editing in something like Premiere? I'm looking to build a similar setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back