Contribute
Register

[Success] Bortoni's GA-Z270-HD3 | i7-7700k | Radeon RX560 | NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
My MSI Aero ITX 560 4GB from About This Mac showing Radeon Pro 560 4GB.
Your X4250.kext.zip saved my day about getting YES on HW Encoding Supported on Mac Video Converter Pro.

But FCPX Bruce X is still around 30s, which is sad.

Sorry I don't mean to start another topic within this thread but I am struggling to get this same video card you have to work on my system. How did you mange to get it to work? If you don't mind, could you please post in this thread I started?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/video-playback-with-radeon-rx-560.245842/

Hello,

just got an XFX Radeon RX 560 4GB. It is a RX 560D (capped gpu). Replaced the firmware with the Sapphire RX 560D 4GB and everything works just perfect.

The only issue is that on 'About This Mac', the board is described as a Radeon Pro 450/550 4GB. Is it possible to change it to RX 560? Is it only cosmetic or I have an issue there?

Also, my Geekbench OpenCL score is about 65.500. Maybe because I have less cores (896) while the RX560 has 1024.

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 23.08.47.png

Last edited:
Hello,

just got an XFX Radeon RX 560 4GB. It is a RX 560D (capped gpu). Replaced the firmware with the Sapphire RX 560D 4GB and everything works just perfect.

The only issue is that on 'About This Mac', the board is described as a Radeon Pro 450/550 4GB. Is it possible to change it to RX 560? Is it only cosmetic or I have an issue there?

Also, my Geekbench OpenCL score is about 65.500. Maybe because I have less cores (896) while the RX560 has 1024.

View attachment 319566

Everything looks good to me. Are you using the 10.13.4 beta or something? Whatever Green?

Everything looks good to me. Are you using the 10.13.4 beta or something? Whatever Green?

I'm still on 10.13.3

I have the following kexts on my clover:
AppleACL.kext
CoreDisplayFixup.kext
FakePCIID.kext
FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelGraphicsFixup.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
realtekALC.kext
Shiki.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
WhateverGreen.kext
X4250.kext
XHCI-200-series-injector.kext

On the Boot screen of clover configurator, I've got:
darkwake=8
-disablegfxfirmware
igfxfw=1

On the Graphics screen:
Selected: Inject Intel and RadeonDeInit

SMBios: iMac 18,3

ACPI:
HDAS to HDEF, HECI to IMEI, GFX0 to IGPU and PEGP to GFX0
Selected FixShutdown

Devices:
Fake ID: IntelGFX - 0x59128086
Add properties: Device- IntelGFX, Key- AAPL, GfxYTile, Value- 01000000, type- STRING

Kernel & Kext Patches:
Selected: Apple RTC, AppleIntelCPUPM & KernelPM
FakeCPUID: 0x0506E3
KextsToPatch:
AppleHDA: find 8A19D411, replace 00000000
AppleHDA: find 8B19D411, replace 2012EC10
AppleHDA: find 786D2CE 7A6C, replace 7A6DC2E 7A6C
AppleAHCIPort: find 45787465 726E616C, replace 496E7465 726E616C
AppleUSBXHCPIPCI: find 837D8C10, replace 837D8C1B
com.apple.driver.usb: 83BD74FF FFFF10, replace 83BD7RFF FFFF1B

Update 6: Update BIOS

Gigabyte finally released a BIOS update that included the latest microcode update for Specter & Meltdown security issues.

Got Version F9d (2018/3/19) from: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270-HD3-rev-10#support-dl

Update went fine. Just make sure that following settings are still set (they changed on me):

1. Chipset → Integrated Graphics : Enabled
2. Chipset → DVMT Pre-Allocated : 256M (if this setting isn’t showing then: 1. Set Integrated Graphics: Enabled. 2. Save and Exit BIOS by pressing F10. 3. Reenter BIOS upon computer restart and it should be there.

Code:
Before:
$ sysctl -a | grep microcode
machdep.cpu.microcode_version: 94

After:
$ sysctl -a | grep microcode
machdep.cpu.microcode_version: 132

Last edited:
Update 7: Update MacOS to 10.13.4

Before updating I did the following:

1) Even though I don't use APFS I updated my EFI partition to apfs.efi version 748.57.19 (download).

Because of significant changes to graphics in this update, I did the following:

2) Removed: SSDT-AMD.aml from CLOVER->ACPI->patched
3) Removed: X4250.kext, AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext from CLOVER->Kexts->Other
4) Added: Acre.kext and RX560.kext to CLOVER->Kexts->Other
5) Change config.plist:
a) Set Inject ATI to false
b) Disable / remove the connector patch for RX560​

Now, Update from Mac App Store.

Rationale:

With this update Apple did major work with graphics and previous hacks and workarounds are not needed. Previously I used the SSDT-AMD.aml to reinit the RX560 as well as select the Acre FrameBuffer. This was then combined with a connector patch in the config.plist. The X4250 kext patched theAMDRadeonX4250.kext to enable HEVC decoding in the RX560 and the AMD9xxxControllerPatcher.kext patched some items such as CFG_FB_LIMIT.

With 10.13.4 the X4250Controller was removed. So the approach now is to use the generic framebuffer the OS constructs and tweak it to give it the properties from the Acre buffer.

The RX560.kext injects properties to 9500C + X4000 and should work with RX460 as well.
Acre.kext: inject Acre FB properties to common ATY framebuffer in 9500 FB controller.

Attachments

• Acre.kext.zip
    2.7 KB · Views: 193
  • RX560.kext.zip
    3.3 KB · Views: 188
interesting - thanks for this. i need to read your whole thread; i switched to a RX560 after having problems with my old nvidia card on my new z370 machine, and it's never worked right. have been using generic framebuffer + lilu/whatevergreen. i was wondering if the update brought new drivers/functionality for the RX560 and it seems so.

so with these 2 kexts no WhateverGreen or RadeonDeInit is necessary? sounds those were not necessary in your setup even before 10.13.4 ?

edit - i see that your kext was doing the RadeonDeinit, i assume this is still true for the one you just posted above? also someone upthread mentioned flashing their RX560 with a different firmware, is this actually necessary? i am using an MSI card currently.

Last edited:
interesting - thanks for this. i need to read your whole thread; i switched to a RX560 after having problems with my old nvidia card on my new z370 machine, and it's never worked right. have been using generic framebuffer + lilu/whatevergreen. i was wondering if the update brought new drivers/functionality for the RX560 and it seems so.

so with these 2 kexts no WhateverGreen or RadeonDeInit is necessary? sounds those were not necessary in your setup even before 10.13.4 ?

edit - i see that your kext was doing the RadeonDeinit, i assume this is still true for the one you just posted above? also someone upthread mentioned flashing their RX560 with a different firmware, is this actually necessary? i am using an MSI card currently.

In my case SSDT-AMD.aml was doing the DeInit in the past and for this reason I did not use WhateverGreen or DeInit in clover. With this update, 10.13.4 correctly does the DeInit so there is no longer a need to have anything do it.

Regarding flashing vBIOS it normally done on some XFX cards. You should not need to with your MSI card.

OK thank you very much. i can only assume that my problems are due to using the generic framebuffer... from reading other threads here here it was not clear to me if i had to switch to another FB name - the chip identifies itself as Baffin in some places and by another name which i can't remember now in others (i think the PCI ID decodes to a different name in one of the .h files in WhateverGreen), so i was not sure what to do.

i'm hoping that between 10.13.4 and your kexts that this card will be working properly - i have 2 30" apple displays with DVI and so my setup is a little old. my assumption has been that part of the problem is because i am using an eyefinity DP->DVI adapter.

Thanks for this Bortoni. I removed the "workaround" kexts such as WhateverGreen after successfully installing 10.13.4, but got a black screen after a (fast) boot up. You say that your RX560.kext should work for a 460 as well - is that as is, or does it need renaming? I assume I need the Acre kext as well, and last question - where did you get/how did you generate those kexts? Thanks for even reading this far if you did :)

edit: actually, last last question: I'm assuming the reason the general advice is to remove the workaround kexts because it's cleaner etc, but do we have any concrete benefits from going back to Apple's built in stuff? Was that fast boot in my imagination? Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back