Register

[SUCCESS] Booting 950 Pro NVMe on GA‑Z77X‑UP5 TH

Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
RX 580
It has a native m.2 slot, but only at 10gb/s. The question is will I benefit in puting the nvme drive into adapter and then into x16 (x8) slot or not

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
It has a native m.2 slot, but only at 10gb/s. The question is will I benefit in puting the nvme drive into adapter and then into x16 (x8) slot or not
Gotcha! My bad. Your motherboard is designed for a graphics card in the PCIe x16 slot. But, yes, the M.2 adapter should probably go into the x16 slot. What slot will you put your GT 740 in?

Motherboard
Z97X-UD3H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
RX 580
Gotcha! My bad. Your motherboard is designed for a graphics card in the PCIe x16 slot. But, yes, the M.2 adapter should probably go into the x16 slot. What slot will you put your GT 740 in?
I have 2 x16 slots, operating at x8 if both used.

I just got an answer on some other forum and to put it short: best way is to use an adapter and second x16 slot. Better performance and I don't loose 2 sata ports (if using m.2 slot). It also doesn't affect the graphics performance ... so win-win

case closed :)

Last edited:
Motherboard
Intel DQ77KB
CPU
Xeon E3-1230 V2
Graphics
GeForce GTX 770
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
LC, Power Mac
Mobile Phone
Android
There are two ways of booting macOS from a NVMe drive on an older motherboard without upgrading the BIOS.

1) Install Clover on some bootable media. Include the NVMe EFI diver NvmExpressDXe-64.efi in the Clover installation.

2) Create a a fusion drive. Install Clover on the EFI partition of the HDD. MacOS will start even if Clover cannot see the NVMe drive. Se my post at the end of this guide tread. [Guide] How to install High Sierra on a Fusion Drive

Motherboard
GA Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
iMac, MacBook Pro
danmcq, your modified BIOS worked like a charm. BTW, I asked if you would please modify the F12J BIOS is because I don't have Windoze installed on any of my systems, and, thus, can't make the change myself. TIA.
My friend Stork. What version of BIOS do you recommend to use on this MOBO? I use F12j at moment. Is it good or the damnmcq is bether?

Thanks
I use only SSD at moment

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO Z370
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
My friend Stork. What version of BIOS do you recommend to use on this MOBO? I use F12j at moment. Is it good or the damnmcq is bether?

Thanks
I use only SSD at moment
F12j will work fine unless you want to use a M.2 NVMe SSD.