Contribute
Register

[Success] BoomR's 360/VR Production Build > GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE - i7 6700K - NVIDIA GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting with High Sierra, macOS recognizes NVMe drives. As you do the install, you'll come to the menu window to do several things, one of which is to launch Disk Utility. Do so; in the Disk Utilities' window, upper left corner, drop down menu "View", choose Show All. You should now be able to format your NVMe SSD.

Cool!

Since I booted from a non-NVME drive, I was hoping it would recognize my existing drive -- which currently has my existing Sierra installation. Is there a trick to making it "see" the NVME drive? (It's formatted as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)")

Thanks.

I created a test drive and was able to get both High Sierra and Mojave running.
But, that is without the following:
Thank you.

Quick update:

• Using the "Nvidia High-Sierra driver workaround" that has been discussed in several threads, I did get the Nvidia Web driver working. I used this method to install the Nvidia web driver: https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update
  • Unfortunately, Mojave does not recognize my NVMe/M.2 drive (Intel 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive). Not sure what I'll need to do to get that going. It works great under Sierra using RehabMan's HackrNVMeFamily kext.

Last edited:
Another update ... in case this helps someone else. :):
  • Mojave now recognizes my NVMe drive. I simply had to remove the "EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml" from the EFI partition and reboot.
Now my Sierra (NVMe) drive shows up on the desktop. :)

This build is still working great ... for the most part.

Running High Sierra (10.13.6) but would like to upgrade the machine to run Mojave.
Currently, there are no Nvidia web drivers for Mojave, so I'm looking to get an AMD video card.

Has anyone here, with a similar build, found any particular AMD card that works well?

Thanks!

One fairly intermittent issue I'm running into.

Every-so-often, the mouse gets "laggy/stuttery". Once that happens, here are some symptoms:
  • "sysmond" and/or "kernel_task" are running at a "high percentage", sometimes way over 100% (Activity Monitor)
  • Activity Monitor's "CPU Window" show one or two of the 8 CPUs running at close to 100%, but the other CPUs bounce anywhere from 0% to 15% (ish)
  • If I "shutdown" the computer at that point, it goes through the shutdown motions, but then ends up restarting instead
  • Restarting temporarily fixes the problem
When this initially happened, I thought it might be related to USB Ports. I then noticed that I was running with all 26 ports enabled! So, I re-followed @RehabMan's guide to create a custom SSDT (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/) (It turns out that when I had initially done this, I had missed a step which resulted in all the ports being injected)

Once I rectified this and limited the port number to 14, it seemed to address the issue.

Unfortunately, over the weekend, this is acting up again.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.
I have attached the resulting debug files from "gen_debug".

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• debug_13235_blerticus.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 196
Last edited:
One fairly intermittent issue I'm running into.

Every-so-often, the mouse gets "laggy/stuttery". Once that happens, here are some symptoms:
  • "sysmond" and/or "kernel_task" are running at a "high percentage", sometimes way over 100% (Activity Monitor)
  • Activity Monitor's "CPU Window" show one or two of the 8 CPUs running at close to 100%, but the other CPUs bounce anywhere from 0% to 15% (ish)
  • If I "shutdown" the computer at that point, it goes through the shutdown motions, but then ends up restarting instead
  • Restarting temporarily fixes the problem
When this initially happened, I thought it might be related to USB Ports. I then noticed that I was running with all 26 ports enabled! So, I re-followed @RehabMan's guide to create a custom SSDT (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-creating-a-custom-ssdt-for-usbinjectall-kext.211311/) (It turns out that when I had initially done this, I had missed a step which resulted in all the ports being injected)

Once I rectified this and limited the port number to 14, it seemed to address the issue.

Unfortunately, over the weekend, this is acting up again.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be much appreciated.
I have attached the resulting debug files from "gen_debug".

Thanks for all your help!
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but have you tried a different mouse to eliminate a hardware issue as cause?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but have you tried a different mouse to eliminate a hardware issue as cause?

Heh! No problem. Great question.

The problem seems to be more one of the "kernel_task" and/or "sysmond" running at high CPU usages.

I've tried several different mice (Razer, HP, "no-name" brand) as well as USB direct and Bluetooth (like Apple trackpad), and the issue persists.

I'm guessing the laggy/stuttering mouse is really a symptom of something else going.

I'm just not sure how to even begin troubleshooting the issue.
On top of that, usually just rebooting the machine solves the problem ... until the next startup.

Thanks for your suggestion.

-- Mark

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back