Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] blouse's "Hack Pro" :: i9-9900K + Z390 Aorus Pro + Vega 64 + TB3 + USB3 :: 100% working

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if it will help or not, but I put my current BIOS screenshots in my thread if you want to mull those over.

Link Here
Cool. I'll pour through those tomorrow. THANKS!

I don't know if it will help or not, but I put my current BIOS screenshots in my thread if you want to mull those over.

Link Here
Thanks for all the info. The gremlin's in my switch.Even though I reset it several times, and it's showing no problems, something's not right with it, and I'm gonna have to dig deeper into it... But I'm thankful it's not the Hack.

thanks!

This looks like a really nice setup - One question
Has anybody tried this with a Radeon VII?

I am looking at this for video work - DaVinci/Adobe/C4D

This looks like a really nice setup - One question
Has anybody tried this with a Radeon VII?

I am looking at this for video work - DaVinci/Adobe/C4D

I'll be trying trying to do it this weekend. All the parts are partially assembled in my basement right now but I'm waiting on the cooler.

I'm going to be doing a similar install with two NVMe SSD drives in the two M.2 slots (M2A, the top longer one, and M2M). I have a 1TB for Mojave and a 500G for Windows and Linux.

I'm going to be using the enormous Noctua air cooler, so I won't be able to pop the M2A drive in and out after the system is built. I should be able to get M2M in and out.

I'm seeing conflicting advice about install order of Windows versus Mojave. The Designare thread (also a Gigabyte board) says Windows first, but this thread says Mojave first. Also, some advice says removal of the drives you aren't installing on isn't necessary (as has to be the case if I were installing all on one drive).

So what issues will I run into if I install Mojave first versus Windows first?

Which drive is more important to be able to remove later on, in terms of interference with upgrades on the other operating system?

When you install Windows or Mojave, what is the disk assignment order for the M2A and M2M slots?

And any other advice I should have about this setup?

I'm going to be doing a similar install with two NVMe SSD drives in the two M.2 slots (M2A, the top longer one, and M2M). I have a 1TB for Mojave and a 500G for Windows and Linux.

I'm going to be using the enormous Noctua air cooler, so I won't be able to pop the M2A drive in and out after the system is built. I should be able to get M2M in and out.

Coolerwise, I also decided to go for the Noctua NH D15 - with the RAM it could be better though to use the D15S which takes that into account (inside a Fractal Define R6 which hopefully should be large enough)

I'm seeing conflicting advice about install order of Windows versus Mojave. The Designare thread (also a Gigabyte board) says Windows first, but this thread says Mojave first. Also, some advice says removal of the drives you aren't installing on isn't necessary (as has to be the case if I were installing all on one drive).

So what issues will I run into if I install Mojave first versus Windows first?

Which drive is more important to be able to remove later on, in terms of interference with upgrades on the other operating system?

When you install Windows or Mojave, what is the disk assignment order for the M2A and M2M slots?

And any other advice I should have about this setup?
Personally, I installed Mojave first. I have both systems on completely different NVMe's. I have Mojave as my default and on boot I hit F12 on boot when I want to switch to Windows. I honestly don't think it'll make a difference which one you install first if you go the same method I did. If you are going to switch between OS's in Clover, then I would think that you would definitely start with Mojave.

Personally, I installed Mojave first. I have both systems on completely different NVMe's. I have Mojave as my default and on boot I hit F12 on boot when I want to switch to Windows. I honestly don't think it'll make a difference which one you install first if you go the same method I did. If you are going to switch between OS's in Clover, then I would think that you would definitely start with Mojave.

I see in your thread you say you only used a single NVMe card. I can't find where you switched to using two NVMes.

In the Designare thread by @CaseySJ he says that if Windows is on the SSD that maps to disk0, updates won't screw up the EFI partition on disk1, but otherwise they will:

It’s been suggested by some users that Windows should be installed in the M2M slot (closest to CPU) so that it updates/modifies its own EFI partition. Just as Linux enumerates all disks as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, etc. based on an internal hardware order, Windows does a similar thing. It enumerates disks as disk1, disk2, disk3, etc. and will update/modify the EFI partition on the first disk that contains an EFI partition. M2M is disk1. M2P is disk2, and the SATA ports take it from there. Therefore, moving the Windows NVMe SSD to the M2M slot will attach it to disk1 and Windows should no longer interfere with any other EFI partitions on other disks. Note that I have not tested this myself. Update 17 May 2019: This has been confirmed to work. More details located here.

The Desigare has M2M as disk0, but it has M2P instead of M2A. So I want to install Windows onto whichever slot is going to be disk1 but I don't know if that is the slot closest to the CPU (M2M on Designare, M2A on the Aorus Pro), or the same slot identifier as the Designare (M2M) or just the lowest slot alphabetically (M2A). I was hoping someone could tell me what they're seeing on their system.

And, yes, I know if I get it wrong it's not a huge deal, because I can fix the EFI partition that Windows screws up with a simple thumb drive boot and then remove one file from EFI, but I'd rather do more work now and less work later.

Found an image of the DESIGNARE...

IMG2407.jpg

Looks like the one closest to the CPU is M2M. They do share bandwidth with the SATA ports so depending on the type of NVME installed, you will loose those physical SATA ports. And I assume the ports they share with SATA are how they are viewed by your OS.

See below from manual:
Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.37.03.png

So, it appears that M2P (the slot closest to the bottom) would be used as SATA0 (using a PCIe NVME).

Actually, I just noticed the manual shows which is which (DESIGNARE)

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 11.44.45.png

Found an image of the DESIGNARE...

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm doing the build with the Aorus Pro, for which I don't know the disk assignments. I know how they're assigned on the Designare (or at least how disk0 is assigned), which is what led me to ask this question.

Unless you are suggesting that the disk assignments start with SATA5 and work down? On the Pro, M2M is farther from the CPU but it has the same SATA4 and 5 conflicts as on the Designare. If so, this would imply that M2M on the Pro would be disk0 and M2A would be a higher number. But it doesn't seem conclusive, as the M2A doesn't have any conflicts when used as a PCIe interface, so that's no real clue as to how it's lanes might be arranged relative to the SATA lanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back