Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] blouse's "Hack Pro" :: i9-9900K + Z390 Aorus Pro + Vega 64 + TB3 + USB3 :: 100% working

Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i5-9600KF
Graphics
ASUS RX 560 4GB
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes I have just completed my change from Clover to OpenCore just now. All ok and running nicely.

I followed this guide carefully and installed OC to a USB stick and eventually booted from it. When all was running well I replaced the Clover EFI folder on my startup SSD with the OC EFI from the USB. Only then when Catalina was booting internally with OC did I do the Big Sur update which went fine.

Choose the guide section and components for installing OC on Coffee Lake and Z390

I have the same MB as you have and I also plan to go to OC. Could you share your EFI folder?

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 470
The USB-C port on the back of the AORUS PRO is not a Thunderbolt 3 port. It's strictly a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port. And he's using a Titan Ridge, not Alpine Ridge... I don't believe Alpine Ridge is supported on the Z390 MB (at least, not according to Gigabyte's compatibility chart for Alpine Ridge.
I have the Alpine Ridge detected and working in Windows, yet it's not happening for Mojave. Just thought I'd mention the Z390 working at least on Windows with Alpine Ridge.

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 470
How did you get Thunderbolt working? I'm having a nightmare with my Alpine Ridge card and BIOS setting.

Thanks.

At the same spot here. Alpine Ridge driver installed on Windows. Anything I plugin on the Windows side works flawlessly.

Mojave will not pickup the Alpine Ridge card, and I've been looking everywhere for support to get this work on macOS with my Z390. Considering rolling back to High Sierra to see if I have better success with TB3.

by the way, Huge Shout Out for the existence of this thread! Thank you all for being supportive and helping us get our systems dialed in!!!

Motherboard
Gigabyte AORUS Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 470
How did you get Thunderbolt working? I'm having a nightmare with my Alpine Ridge card and BIOS setting.

Thanks.
You probably already figured this out, but I found the fix!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go into the BIOS and locate the GPIO3 Force Pwr option in the Thunderbolt Settings. (I think it was the deepest Thunderbolt menu I could find on the Z390.)

Enable GPIO3 Force Power

Boom!

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
INTEL Core i9 9900K Coffee Lake
Graphics
Radeon VII 16GB
So, I know this post has been inactive for over a year, but...

Anyone that was successful with this built (like I was, thanks to @blouse and others!) has tried to upgrade to Big Sur while keeping the same hardware?

I would be very interested in your responses since this is exactly what I am planning to do.

Thanks!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I don't have the TB card, but I've had no issues running Big Sur with OpenCore.