Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] blouse's "Hack Pro" :: i9-9900K + Z390 Aorus Pro + Vega 64 + TB3 + USB3 :: 100% working

Motherboard
Asus B460M-A (r2)
CPU
i5 10400
Graphics
UHD 630
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i9-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
I can't speak for blouse, but I, personally, have my pump plugged into CPU_FAN, and the rad fans into the pump splitter in the back. The additional case fans on other fan headers. My Krakenx52's base profile is quite good, so the default curves serve me well in macOS, even overclocked to 5.1GHz on all 8 cores. If you want more control, the RAD fans can be plugged into additional headers on the Mobo, giving you better curves set in BIOS. My Kraken ignores BIOS fan curves completely, so I am grateful the default curves work well in macOS. I suspect this has something to do with macOS utilizing the PStates of the 9900k much better than Windows does.

So you have the rad fans in sys_fan5_pump and 6, and the pump into cpu_fan?

Also, does your machine have any issues waking from sleep or where the second monitor of you run one runs at 30hz instead of 60?

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So you have the rad fans in sys_fan5_pump and 6, and the pump into cpu_fan?

Also, does your machine have any issues waking from sleep or where the second monitor of you run one runs at 30hz instead of 60?
Pump into CPU Fan. Rad fans into the fan splitter that comes off of the pump. No issues from sleep whatsoever, and I constantly get 60Hz @ 4k. I do not use 2 monitors.

Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i9-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
Pump into CPU Fan. Rad fans into the fan splitter that comes off of the pump. No issues from sleep whatsoever, and I constantly get 60Hz @ 4k. I do not use 2 monitors.

hmm, I didn't notice a splitter that comes off the pump. Do you have a Thermaltake Water 3.0 280 Riing CPU Cooler?

For sleep not working I am using the EFI posted by @blouse here:

Would you mind much posting your EFI folder? I really would like to get sleep working!

Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i9-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64

D'oh, I just saw your thread where you post it. Your EFI folder works wonders for me, it got all my USB ports working (THANK YOU for doing the USB map, you saved me a lot of time!) The only things I had to do to it were enable the headless iGPU and add the vegas 64 fix.

For some reason though, it still sleeps like the dead. When I put the machine to sleep the monitors go black and the rig keeps running for ~45 seconds, then reboots.

Sg0

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey @blouse, what BIOS version are you running? I have nearly the exact same setup (and everything works great, even got Thunderbolt working) but I can’t get the headless IGPU to work. Whenever I enable IGPU in the BIOS, it hangs during boot.

I’ve tried about everything I can figure to do, so wondering if it is a BIOS issue.

How did you get Thunderbolt working? I'm having a nightmare with my Alpine Ridge card and BIOS setting.

Thanks.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
jaymonkey, I disagree with you. iMac14,2 is best SMBIOS for Haswell+GPU

@prashantloveguru143,

For Haswell hackingtosh systems with i7 4770K or 4790K CPU + AMD GPU iMac15,1 is the best match as real iMac15,1 uses i7 4790K + AMD GPU.

iMac 14,2 is a good choice for Haswell systems with Nvidia GPU as Real iMac 14,2 has Nvidia 7XX GPU.

@Tom012 has i7 4790K + AMD Vega 64 so iMac15,1 is the nearest and recommended matching SMBIOS. My White Knight hack (see specs in my sig) has the same CPU + GPU and iMac15,1 works perfectly and benchmarks a bit quicker than using 14,2 which i used previously when i had GTX 980 Ti installed.

You should always try and match SMBIOS 1st on nearest matching CPU and 2nd on GPU.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
D'oh, I just saw your thread where you post it. Your EFI folder works wonders for me, it got all my USB ports working (THANK YOU for doing the USB map, you saved me a lot of time!) The only things I had to do to it were enable the headless iGPU and add the vegas 64 fix.

For some reason though, it still sleeps like the dead. When I put the machine to sleep the monitors go black and the rig keeps running for ~45 seconds, then reboots.

My AIO is the NZXT Kraken x52. Try adding FixWAK in Clover Config. I don't necessarily remember what I did to get my sleep working 100%, but since that folder, i've made some pretty hefty changes in the way my EFI is set up. I will likely end up amending my build post to reflect this.

Motherboard
Z390 AORUS PRO
CPU
i9-9700K
Graphics
Vega 64
My AIO is the NZXT Kraken x52. Try adding FixWAK in Clover Config. I don't necessarily remember what I did to get my sleep working 100%, but since that folder, i've made some pretty hefty changes in the way my EFI is set up. I will likely end up amending my build post to reflect this.

For whatever reason sleep started working. I don't know what I did besides switch to your USB map file. I thought it was busted because my USB 2.0 keyboard and mouse stopped working, but I realized they had to be plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

The only problem I have left is that after around an hour of using the machine I have to reboot it because the fans run at 100%, even though CPU usage is at around 4% and temps are 33C. The only strange thing I notice in HWMonitor is that my vegas reports as 127C. Not sure if this is related. I already have VegaTab_64.kext loaded as well.

Motherboard
Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P
CPU
Ryzen 9 3950X
Graphics
RX 6800
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
For whatever reason sleep started working. I don't know what I did besides switch to your USB map file. I thought it was busted because my USB 2.0 keyboard and mouse stopped working, but I realized they had to be plugged into USB 2.0 ports.

The only problem I have left is that after around an hour of using the machine I have to reboot it because the fans run at 100%, even though CPU usage is at around 4% and temps are 33C. The only strange thing I notice in HWMonitor is that my vegas reports as 127C. Not sure if this is related. I already have VegaTab_64.kext loaded as well.

Whoa. You could cook an egg on that Vega. I'm guessing it is directly related to your fans trying to lift off. That is something that I, unfortunately, can't help with. I know nothing about either Vega on Hackintosh, as I only have an RX 580. Hopefully someone here will have some insight.

Edit: You can refer to this post for a potential solution.