Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] blouse's "Hack Pro" :: i9-9900K + Z390 Aorus Pro + Vega 64 + TB3 + USB3 :: 100% working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

If your overlocking then you need to add more C states to the X86PlatformPlugin.
Use Pike Alpha's Frequency Vectors script to inject the extra high (and low) c states ...

https://github.com/Piker-Alpha/freqVectorsEdit.sh

Cheers
Jay
If my computer is clocking to 5GHZ when pushed, what would this Freq Vector do? I want all the performance I can get, but don't want to risk making it unstable.

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 12.24.24 AM.png

If my computer is clocking to 5GHZ when pushed, what would this Freq Vector do? I want all the performance I can get, but don't want to risk making it unstable.

@psedog,

If MacOS is hitting your target max turbo c state then you don't need to use it, however for those guys who are setting an overclock in the BOIS and MacOS is not throttling the CPU to the Max Turbo C state then running the Frequency Vectors script will inject the additional C states needed to reach the Max C state ... it can also inject one or two lower C states but thats only really useful for Laptops users who want to lower the minimum CPU c state to help with battery life.

Cheers
Jay

@psedog,

If MacOS is hitting your target max turbo c state then you don't need to use it, however for those guys who are setting an overclock in the BOIS and MacOS is not throttling the CPU to the Max Turbo C state then running the Frequency Vectors script will inject the additional C states needed to reach the Max C state ... it can also inject one or two lower C states but thats only really useful for Laptops users who want to lower the minimum CPU c state to help with battery life.

Cheers
Jay
Basically I overclock to the 5.1 I can find a few voltage settings where I get into osx and after a few seconds it reboots. Will c states fix this? I can run fine OC to 5.0 But anything over that it reboots after a few seconds at the desktop.

Basically I overclock to the 5.1 I can find a few voltage settings where I get into osx and after a few seconds it reboots. Will c states fix this? I can run fine OC to 5.0 But anything over that it reboots after a few seconds at the desktop.

@boogieman77,

No .... all the Frequency Vectors script does is patch the X86PlatformPlugin with any turbo frequencies that are missing, so for instance I overclock my i7 4790K CPU to 4.7GHz, the stock turbo frequency for the 4790K is 4.4GHz so without the patch MacOS will only turbo the the CPU to 4.4GHz but after patching the X86PlatformPlugin with Pike Alphas Frequency Vectors script MacOS will Turbo the CPU up to 4.7 GHz.

It does not perform any 'magic' it just ensure that all C states are available. You have to manually apply the overclock in the BIOS as normal and of course ensure that it is stable.

If your system is stable with a 5GHz turbo overclock then an additional 0.1GHz will not have any real benefit, best to not push it too far... stick with the 5GHz unless you have a water cooling solution and can keep the CPU temps under control.

Cheers
Jay

I'm stable at 5.2Ghz. Temperatures are too high for my liking. I'm going to keep it at 5Ghz until I delid it (8700k). I have my voltage set to normal and Dynamic VCore to -0.040V. I also have CPU Load Line Calibration set to High. Turbo is the optimal setting, but again, temps had me backoff. Turbo was High 90's. High is low 90's (starts around 87 and slowly climbs to 91ish).

If you want to learn more about overclocking with this board, Gigabyte has a tutorial for you :)
https://www.gigabyte.com/FileUpload/Global/multimedia/2/file/525/946.pdf

Screen Shot 2018-12-24 at 8.12.00 PM.png

What I would like to know is how did the dual Vegas perform. I’m a heavy fcpx user and why I built this new one. I already have one Vega. Just would like to know the real world fcpx usage when adding a second Vega.

Last edited:
Someone with Gigabyte Z390 having audio problems?

Using latest AppleALC and inject 16 audio is working well for me.

Using latest AppleALC and inject 16 audio is working well for me.

Do you use FCPX with the dual Vegas? This was the reason I built this system. Wanted to see what your real world results where using both versus one. I can order another one day after tomorrow and wanted to see your thoughts on running dual.

@boogieman77 sorry, I don't use FCPX. However Cinema 4D is taking full advantage of the dual Vega's with prorender. I would imagine that FCPX would see two cards, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back