Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Big Sur on GA-Z270X Gaming 5 + i7-7700K + RX580

Hi,
it looks like CFG Lock issue. If your BIOS is the latest one (F10b like me) you have two options:
1. The CFG Lock BIOS option is not visible, so you have to switch it OFF using this thread. The offset is 0x502 with value 0x00 - off or 0x01 - on (BIOS v. F10b).
2. Open the config.plist and set the Quirks AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock to YES.

If your BIOS is not the latest one, please take the 2nd option or use the guide in option 1 to find the offset for this BIOS version.

If you take the 1st (like me), there is no need to set the quirks to YES and the system will be more reliable and stable. But keep in mind, if you reset your BIOS settings, you have to switch this option again.
At the first post of this guide (EDIT 2) there is an information regards this issue.

Try and report back. I hope this helps.
Late to the party here, I have (very nearly) the same system (Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 5 | i7-7700K | Sapphire RX 580). I've used your edit 3 EFI, then enabled the Quirks as suggested here, and then tried Edit 1 EFI as well just in case. Only difference I can see is that I'm on F9d BIOS as the GA website doesnt seem to have any F10 currently. All bios settings as you listed (tried both Win8/10 options).

I'm booting from USB in the hope I can migrate my Clover Mojave install to OC, and then update to Big Sur (at least..)

Am I missing something? I'd love to avoid doing a fresh install if possible. Thanks mate!

EDIT!!!!!!

The world of hackintosh has changed - I'm very happily on Big Sur after doing the update from the usb installer that I'd assmumed would wipe the drive.

Thanks for the EFI @tsanko.dimitrov - much obliged pal!

Last edited:
A further problem now - I've found that external drives formatted to HFS+ don't show up in disk util, and internal drives that already existed on the system (one extra HDD, one extra SSD) show up but any new internal drives don't. I've tried formatting the drive on another machine, still nothing. I've disabled SASMegaRaid kext in case that's it, I've idiot checked the bios is set to AHCI. I've seen on another forum that someone else with a Z270 had the same issue and deleted Intel Rapid Storage app in windows and that fixed it - but I don't have a windows partition.

Any ideas?

Back