Contribute
Register

[Success] Big Sur: Asus ROG Strix Z490-E i7-10700K RX-580 *Everything Works*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how you would expect anyone to form a meaningful diagnosis from such scant information as "After the install happened I got caught in a boot loop".
I downloaded an EFI from this thread from someone who said it worked for them with the same motherboard, cpu, and graphics card. How am I supposed to know where to start?

I downloaded an EFI from this thread from someone who said it worked for them with the same motherboard, cpu, and graphics card. How am I supposed to know where to start?
Hi Steven, noticed that you're brand new to the forums. I think your problems stem from the fact that this is not a complete guide. The shortcut approach of posting an EFI folder is within the site rules but usually doesn't work well for those with little to no previous hackintosh experience. The author of this thread says nothing about the proper BIOS setup or even which BIOS revision is being used. It's not surprising that it doesn't work for you. What you can do is start learning about OpenCore and read some complete Z490 build guides that you can learn from. Stork has posted an Asus Z490 User Builds that uses OpenCore. That would be a good thing to study.

Hi Steven, noticed that you're brand new to the forums. I think your problems stem from the fact that this is not a complete guide. The shortcut approach of posting an EFI folder is within the site rules but usually doesn't work well for those with little to no previous hackintosh experience. The author of this thread says nothing about the proper BIOS setup or even which BIOS revision is being used. It's not surprising that it doesn't work for you. What you can do is start learning about OpenCore and read some complete Z490 build guides that you can learn from. Stork has posted an Asus Z490 User Builds that uses OpenCore. That would be a good thing to study.

Now THAT is helpful. Thank you very much. I've spent about 15+ hours on this build so far so I appreciate the direction. I've spent some time reading the opencore setups and gone through some of the BIOS setups like turning off fast boost and such but I'll go through those resources.

I've spent some time reading the opencore setups and gone through some of the BIOS setups like turning off fast boost and such but I'll go through those resources.
There are so many things that can cause a boot failure. It's mostly trial and error to root out the problem. Some brands of graphics cards work better than others with macOS. Same goes for NVMe SSDs and ram modules. CaseySJ has an excellent Gigabyte Z490 Vision D build where he explains all of these topics. Reading that you'll see how a proper guide is written with enough detail for the readers to have success. Also make sure you are booting verbose to get more specific info about the booting problem.

Last edited:
There are so many things that can cause a boot failure. It's mostly trial and error to root out the problem. Some brands of graphics cards work better than others with macOS. Same goes for NVMe SSDs and ram modules. CaseySJ has an excellent Gigabyte Z490 Vision D build where he explains all of these topics. Reading that you'll see how a proper guide is written with enough detail for the readers to have success. Also make sure you are booting verbose to get more specific info about the booting problem.

Your saving my sanity. Many thanks good sir :) Already going through the last guide you sent and already catching stuff. :headbang:

Hello everybody,
just installed Big Sur on my machine, it works pretty well, might have used that very EFI posted by OC, can't remember.
Anyway, I am experiencing some weird things, wish you could help me on that, I'd be really grateful
My monitor can't "Come back", and what I mean Is that every time the monitor goes on sleep, every time the system reboots, the monitor can't come back unless I power it down and power it back up.
Secondly, my mouse doesn't work every time I reboot my machine, seems like it works just by unplugging and plugging back, also detaching the power cable and waiting for the machine to lose all the power does the trick.

Any help is well appreciated!
Thank you very much in advance

ps: i7 10700k, z490-K wifi
display: TUF VG259QM 280HZ FAST-IPS, connected through Display Port (Intel UHD630)

Hello everybody,
just installed Big Sur on my machine, it works pretty well, might have used that very EFI posted by OC, can't remember.
Anyway, I am experiencing some weird things, wish you could help me on that, I'd be really grateful
My monitor can't "Come back", and what I mean Is that every time the monitor goes on sleep, every time the system reboots, the monitor can't come back unless I power it down and power it back up.
Secondly, my mouse doesn't work every time I reboot my machine, seems like it works just by unplugging and plugging back, also detaching the power cable and waiting for the machine to lose all the power does the trick.

Any help is well appreciated!
Thank you very much in advance

ps: i7 10700k, z490-K wifi
display: TUF VG259QM 280HZ FAST-IPS, connected through Display Port (Intel UHD630)
for your hardware profile:

Update:
First of all, thank you very much @Feartech, didn't remember of that at all honestly,
Secondly, just tried connecting my display through HDMI instead of display port (EDIT: looks like it's a display problem, unrelated to the system, other monitors work as expected), everything works fine now, except it's limited to 120hz due to uhd630 not being compliant to HDMI 2.0, if i try to connect two displays, i notice that sometimes there is a super tearing effect, like extreme flickering, sometimes they get recognized as expected and work well, i suppose this is a Integrated Graphics thing which should go away with a proper amd gpu.
ALSO, just discovered that the mouse problem was it's own fault, just switched to a zowie mouse, works like a charm.
And what about Type C rear connector? couldn't figure out how to make it work, doesn't appear on system information either, am I missing something in the bios section?

Last edited:
Update:
First of all, thank you very much @Feartech, didn't remember of that at all honestly,
Secondly, just tried connecting my display through HDMI instead of display port (EDIT: looks like it's a display problem, unrelated to the system, other monitors work as expected), everything works fine now, except it's limited to 120hz due to uhd630 not being compliant to HDMI 2.0, if i try to connect two displays, i notice that sometimes there is a super tearing effect, like extreme flickering, sometimes they get recognized as expected and work well, i suppose this is a Integrated Graphics thing which should go away with a proper amd gpu.
ALSO, just discovered that the mouse problem was it's own fault, just switched to a zowie mouse, works like a charm.
And what about Type C rear connector? couldn't figure out how to make it work, doesn't appear on system information either, am I missing something in the bios section?
Hi. Can You share your EFI folder? I have same config with UHD630 and stuck at booltoader :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back