Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Hey,guys! I came across a good deal on i9 9900k and made a decision to get it.

I didn't change anything in EFI, and it just works, right away recognized by system.
View attachment 563109

I've started to benchmarking it and compare to my previous i7 8700, expecting it to be crazy hot, so I thought I'd get a second fan for my Black Ridge CPU cooler, but surprisingly it runs cooler than i7 8700 and the performance isn't the greatest - but better than i7 8700.
the geekbench 5 score also isn't really overwhelming.
I noticed that Intel Power Gadget shows maximum TDP right below 95W(for i9), so I guess there's a power limit set. Just to be sure I checked benchmarks under Windows 10 - same.

So gotta disable TDP power limit, tried to google it and found how to do it in BIOS under M.I.T, "advanced cpu core settings" changed "Package Power Limit" from auto to 150watts (just to see if there's a difference), also changed "core current limit" to higher value. And nothing changed in terms of TDP. Will do further research for sure, but maybe some people can relate to this problem?

I see that @petro uses i9 9900k in his build, did you do anything specific to unleash the power of it?

Hi here

Just a thought ...

Did you check for an updated BIOS version that might make compatibility with 9th gen better?

Did you check for an updated BIOS version that might make compatibility with 9th gen better?
Hi, honestly I don't think this is an issue. I'm on F13 version now, F10 introduced 9th gen cpu's support, F11,12,13 description mention enhancements for CPU, but 14b, 14 are all about other things.
Gigabyte z370n BIOS updates

connect the processor and before update the bios
I have not done anything else since I am left over with this processor
I bought it since it was the maximum that this motherboard supports
What I have noticed is that the bios takes longer to boot than with the i7-8700k

connect the processor and before update the bios
My bios is F13, not sure whether it's safe to update to anything newer.
I bought it since it was the maximum that this motherboard supports
same here
What I have noticed is that the bios takes longer to boot than with the i7-8700k
It seem that booting into BIOS takes the same time comparing to my previous i7 8700(non k).

May I ask you to test your CPU with Cinebench R23 and monitor via Intel Power Gadget? To see whether your CPU wattage consumption goes above 95W?

May I ask you to test your CPU with Cinebench R23 and monitor via Intel Power Gadget? To see whether your CPU wattage consumption goes above 95W?
the tdp of the processor is 95w
Captura de pantalla 2023-02-09 a las 15.34.16.png

the tdp of the processor is 95w
Yes - You are absolutely correct, it's listed as 95W... But it's never true actually. Just for example - my previous CPU i7 8700(non K), listed TDP by Intel is 65W, lets see what it will show under full load on Cinebench R23:
Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 11.21.04.jpg

So it's almost 90W without dropping all the time, my cooling is enough for its not to thermal throttle.

Let's compare the scores again,
Geekbench 5(single/multi core):

i7 8700 1096/6632

i9 9900k 1198/7667 +9%/+15%

Cinebench r23(single/multi core):

7 8700 1124/8678

i9 9900k 1200/10023 +6%/+15%

@petro If you'd compare your previous i7 8700k to your i9 9900k you'd see even less overwhelming results.So in your case you basically didn't get anything significant after switching.

i9 9900k known to be as a very hot CPU, and some people say that it reaches 300w consumption at spikes sometimes with other manufactures mobo's , but normally it goes around 150W for short periods of time which is ok IMO. And the Geekbench 5, Cinebench R23 scores from other people online on average are 10-15% higher than in my case. And I'm not even talking about overclocking.

So there's something in our z370n holding its power.

The processor uses the same manufacturing technology, it is basically the same processor.
the i7 is 100 mhz faster and the i9 has 2 more cores.
I bought it with my heart and no, with my head

Does anyone know why the messages are deleted?
I uploaded an efi and it's not there?

try with this efi cvt123
Paste in MLB, Serial Number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.1 MB · Views: 26
Does anyone know why the messages are deleted?
I uploaded an efi and it's not there?
If your posts have been removed it is probably because they contravened the forum rules.

Back