Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370N
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
b1's "Mac Mini Killer" macOS Mojave Coffee Lake Build:
i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Components
  • Intel Core i7-8700 non K;
  • GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI;
  • G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz;
  • 250GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2;
  • Noctua NH-L9I Cooler;
  • WiFi adapter from MacBook Air (BCM94360CS2);
  • Flex 4.5L case and SeaSonic 300W 80+ Gold PSU.
Performance

This is my current Geekbench score with overclocked memory to 3600 MHz.

What Works
Everything: WiFi, BT, LAN, Audio, iMessage, Wake & Sleep, Universal Clipboard, USB 3, USB-C, DP-audio, Hands-off, AirDrop, Hardware Acceleration, Shutdown, Unlock with Apple Watch, you name it.

What Doesn't Work
  • PowerNap is turned off, so no apps update during sleep. Maybe it works, I just not tested it.
  • If I enable XMP profile in BIOS for automatic RAM overclock or overclock RAM manually, I have a warning «Disk not ejected properly». after waking from sleep. You need to reconnect external drives to make it work again. It can be critical for people who use external drives on a daily basis. There is three solution for that:
    • Prevent sleep with free Amphetamine app. I like it because it let monitor fall asleep and/or enable screensaver. It’s crucial if you want your Hackintosh to lock automatically.
    • Disable XMP. Fixes the problem entirely, but harms general performance.
    • Use Jettison app that unmount drives before sleep. I don’t test it personally.
Short links
How to ask for help
If you have troubles during migrating to my EFI and settings, please attach «problem reporting» files to your post. The easiest way is to install and run this script.

EFI and all instructions:

Last edited:
@b166ar,
Did you use UniBeast and MultiBeast?

@b166ar,
Did you use UniBeast and MultiBeast?

Nope, I decided to go Vanilla. I used EFI folder from some Golden Build as a template and started to figure out how all configs work. The installation process was easy, but then it took me a few weeks to read this forum and understand little tricks to tweak my configuration.

Updates 10.13.5 → 10.13.6 → 10.14 was smooth.

Last edited:
what BIOS USB settings did you set to enable sleeping function
I turned off EHCI Hand-Off in BIOS. But, now I turned it on for a test.

Hi there, I would like to use your EFI folder in my system and update to 10.14. The only question I've got is what should I change since I only use iGPU on i8100. I know I probably need to inject the correct framebuffer as I already did on my current vanilla build on 10.13.6. Is there anything I need to disable due to you using an AMD dGPU?

really nice build, especially the undervolt

you modified your bios? how/what did you do?
I've set VCore voltage to 1.135V. The default was 1.205V.

Hi there, I would like to use your EFI folder in my system and update to 10.14. The only question I've got is what should I change since I only use iGPU on i8100. I know I probably need to inject the correct framebuffer as I already did on my current vanilla build on 10.13.6. Is there anything I need to disable due to you using an AMD dGPU?

You defiantly need to change id-platform-id from 0x59120003 to 0x59120000. And it should work.

You defiantly need to change id-platform-id from 0x59120003 to 0x59120000. And it should work.

Just read your comment now. That is exactly what I tried last evening. I used your EFI folder, did some minor tweaks in clover config (fixshutdown and SMBios) and made a bootable Mojave install disk. Added the broadcom Wifi kext. Installing went smooth, post-install even smoother! Wifi and BT now work by just placing the kexts into the Other folder. Hardware accelration is working by changing platform ID's.

Do you happen to know how I can enable HDMI 2.0 in whatevergreen again? I would love to use the 4k 60Hz Hidpi setting on my TV-screen.

Thanks for sharing your EFI folder

Back