Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Initially I upgraded to Monterey and faced lots of problems regarding boot time and bluetooth so I went back to Big Sur and am still using it. My request is to the people who have successfully installed Monterey to share their experience of "what is not working" vis-a-vis Big Sur and share their OpenCore/Clover config. Specially someone who is using Broadcom BCM4352 (Dell DW 1560) BT/WiFi m.2 card

Hi, everyone! I have changed the case(it was Geeek a50) for my hackintosh and the new one(Geeek G1 SE) is slightly bigger, has way better cooling ,which means can fit bigger gpu and can cool it down.
Here they are side to side:
Screen Shot 2022-03-03 at 3.05.39 PM.png
Currently I'm using Gigabyte 5700 xt and surprisingly Corsair SF Gold 450w PSU can handle it. But now I'm thinking to replace PSU with 750w one and gpu with reference 6800xt card. It seems like I won't need to do any tinkering, same agdpmod=pikera should allow me to boot with no problem, am I right?

Also i though I might just also replace i7 8700 with i9 9900k , but this one isn't that easy right? What will i need to do in this case? Thanks for your time!

P.S.Using it with latest Big Sur and not planning to update any time soon.
P.P.S.My new M1 Max with 64gb unified memory is quicker than hackintosh in any regard, but still lacks the compatibility with some really useful plugins that I use on a daily basis, so I'm not switching to it yet.

Hi there! Thanks for replying me, by the time you did that I already had a card coming to me and by now I successfully installed it.
If you go with a 6800xt you should definitely replace your PSU, yes.
450W isn’t enough for RDNA2.
bootarg stays the same, yap.

I have read that some of the folks had luck with 450w PSU and 6800XT, but decided to spent a bit more( ~ 200 USD) for a decent 750 PSU from Corsair.
here they are right before the installation:
new toys in boxes.jpeg
Fitting it was a challenge, but apparently that was the hardest part, because I did nothing in order to make it work, it just did from the first try:
overview.png
Here are my Geekbench and Unigine Heaven Benchmark scores:
geekbench metal.png
geekbench open cl.png
Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0.png
So I guess they aren't bad. Also gaming under Windows had a significant boost as well, but my priority was FCP performance first, due the fact that 8gb in 5700xt was quite often not enough for 4k timeline with variety of heavy VFX, so I had to create a separate project in order to render few seconds of some heavy effects, export them and use on a main timeline as a prores clip. making changes that way is...long. Now I don't need to do that.
Replacing your CPU shouldn't be a problem. It might occur that speedstepping wouldn't work as expected because an i7 8700 matches the iMac19,1 sysdef more closely (assuming you're using that for your rig). If you don‘t plan to overclock, choose the non-k version - there‘s no considerable performance increase to expect
I've made a decision to postpone this purchase, especially since it won't make huge difference in my current workflow, unlike upgrade of the GPU did. But thanks again!

In general, I believe that it might be a good idea to update to F14 BIOS at some point especially concerning the Resizable-BAR
Looks interesting and promising, but I prefer to play safe with my editing rig, so I'll wait for more feedback on this.

Overall my only thought about further enhancing the user experience with this hackintosh is probably trying to change iMac 19,1 to iMacPro 1,1 and see what can I gain with that.

I don't really use SideCar these days, and believe once I switch to iMacPro 1,1 will loose that ability, but I will have even bigger boost in GPU performance, not sure whether it will be better than 6800xt + QuickSync though.

Since I have a second backup SSD will try there first, will post the results here. In theory I only will have to disable the Intel graphics in BIOS and generate new SMBIOS.

Is there any drawback to going iMacPro 1,1 and/or disabling the iGPU?

(I had been on iMac 19,1)

I had recently switched to it for getting DRM working. I just realized I still have iGPU set as “headless mode” in config.plist and also I still have the iGPU enabled in my BIOS.

Is the iGPU just getting ignored by macOS right now due to the iMacPro 1,1 SMBIOS ?

Mac OS X 11.6.5
open core 0.8
Z370N Wifi
F10BIOS
DW1560
MSI AIRBOOS RX VEGA 56

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.3 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Mac OS X 12.4
open core 0.8.1
Z370N Wifi
F11BIOS
DW1560
MSI AIRBOOS RX VEGA 56

Paste in MLB, Serial Number, Board Serial Number, SmUUID.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    15.9 MB · Views: 57
Mac OS X 11.6.7
open core 0.8.3
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
F13BIOS
DW1560
MSI AIRBOOS RX VEGA 56

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.1 MB · Views: 61
Mac OS X 11.6.7
open core 0.8.3
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
F13BIOS
DW1560
MSI AIRBOOS RX VEGA 56

Hi there, thanks for keep posting your updated EFI in this thread, since Rramon was banned for some unknown reason - you're the only one who does that for now.

Usually, I update my Hack once a year, and mostly due the latest Final Cut Pro's OS requirement. This is a production machine so I don't want any risk.

But, apparently, Ventura is around the corner, once they release it - FCP most likely will be updated and will require at least Monterey to run it.

I see that you're still on Big Sur, is there any particular reason for holding onto it? Or you're planning on update soon too?

In my case the only issues I see that my Samsung 970 EVO has TRIM and slow boot problems, also heard about low RDNA 2 graphics cards performance comparable to Big Sur. First problem can be solved replacing NVME to a different vendor (forgot which one, guess Rramon mentioned it, but all his posts are gone, sadly), the second one might have been fixed with latest Monterey updates, yet I haven't done any research in this regard.

Hi there, thanks for keep posting your updated EFI in this thread, since Rramon was banned for some unknown reason - you're the only one who does that for now.
I see that you're still on Big Sur, is there any particular reason for holding onto it? Or you're planning on update soon too?
hello, the reason for being in Big Sur is because it is the most updated operating system that I have and compatible with my DW1560 wifi and bluetooth card.

In my case the only issues I see that my Samsung 970 EVO has TRIM and slow boot problems, also heard about low RDNA 2 graphics cards performance comparable to Big Sur. First problem can be solved replacing NVME to a different vendor (forgot which one, guess Rramon mentioned it, but all his posts are gone, sadly), the second one might have been fixed with latest Monterey updates, yet I haven't done any research in this regard.
I am also in Monterey, but for my dw1560 wifi card to work I have not been able to go from version 12.0.1.
I have published on this site efi with monterrey, but I can not continue updating because I lose the dw1560 card.
A compatible M.2 drive is the wester digital black sn750

Last edited:
Back