Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

@inarush
@rrviega

I like the idea of keeping everything in this thread since there’s a lot of useful informations about Mojave, Catalina and now Big Sur apparently.

However, these informations are buried inside 83 and ongoing pages so I thought about having an index post on the first page would be a nice thing.

Sure, this index post would need continuous maintenance and we would have to ask one of the moderators whether it’s possible to insert a index or exchange a post like #2 composed by @Stork (no offense here).

What do you think guys?
Indeed there is a lot of useful information here. However, most of it is about configuring Clover. It feels like Clover will be inevitably replaced by OpenCore, it's just a matter of time. Therefore, I think most of the discussion in this topic might not be as useful anymore. Besides, like you mentioned, this topic became so dense that it's not very easy to find information here.

This is why I think a new thread, dedicated to discussing OpenCore on this hardware configuration, would add so much value to this community.

Well, I don’t see Clover being replaced by OC - it might seem as a lot of people are hype-switching atm which is true due to absent support of Big Sur but this is going to change soon. Anyways: as mentioned by stork this thread isn’t going to get any index post.

The Acidanthera team (developers of LiLu, WhateverGreen etc) stopped supporting Clover as of Sep 1 2019. Since then, they only test their projects with OpenCore. While this doesn't necessarily mean that Clover will suddenly stop working, I think chances are higher of things breaking with Clover compared to OC.

Personally, I would not like to have to switch from Clover to OC (who likes extra work?), but I really think this switch will be mandatory at some point.

@inarush
@rrviega

I like the idea of keeping everything in this thread since there’s a lot of useful informations about Mojave, Catalina and now Big Sur apparently.

However, these informations are buried inside 83 and ongoing pages so I thought about having an index post on the first page would be a nice thing.

Sure, this index post would need continuous maintenance and we would have to ask one of the moderators whether it’s possible to insert a index or exchange a post like #2 composed by @Stork (no offense here).

What do you think guys?
I'm preparing a guide, slowly, for when Big Sur is released. I don't have the time I had when I started "hacking" Mac Os Leopard on an Asus p5k-SE. But I will do it. About the Opencore: It's been rock solid for me since the Clover switch. I never had a Kernel Panic. It may have been my fault on Clover, but on it I had some KP. And yes, updating Opencore is a bit tiring. I only updated it to support Big Sur.

@rrviega
Thanks for your OC EFI, I have been able to make it work for my system with DW1560 wifi/BT card with appropriate modifications. Now everything works including DRM for Netflix, Apple TV+ worked even in clover, in Amazon Prime at least it doesn't freeze the system but tries to play the video and some type of refresh is happening as if it is trying again to play the video.

One thing of interest, after cloning my drive when selecting the clone drive at boot time it didn't boot but when I booted again to my normal drive selected in System Preference the startup disk as my clone drive and rebooted and it booted from clone drive. Also the first time after switching from clover I had to give full disk access to bunch of softwares and allow some drivers.

But the journey of learning and switching was very interesting and satisfying, the OC installation guide is also very good.

Hi, can anyone check my EFI? Everything but graphics acceleration works..
I installed Catalina with macmini8,1 SMBIOS.

My Setup:
MoBo: Gigabyte Z370N Wifi
CPU: i3-8100
Graphics: Intel UHD 630
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX CL16 DDR4-2666 32 GB
SSD: Crucial 500GB P5 M.2
Network Card: Apple BCM94360CS2 + adapter

Thanks

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Have you tried with the EFI posted at earlier?

Okay it's working now but now my USB ports aren't working. I've replaced USBPorts.kext with USBInjectAll.kext but it's still not working

Edit: Solved! Thanks!
And i used iMac19,2 SMBIOS

Last edited:
@applefan85

While iMac19,2 SMBIOS works well consider switching to iMac18,1 for better CPU speedstepping thus cooler temperatures.

19,2 SMBIOS steps down to 1200/1600 MHz while 18,1 SMBIOS steps down to 800 MHz.

I will stay by 19,2. My temperatures are not higher as 48 Celcius

I have 100% renewable electricity from my solar cells ;) so that's not a problem either :)

Updated to 0.6.0 + Kexts + Open Canopy GUI. Tested on Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73) with F13 BIOS and SMBIOS 19,1. IGPU + GPU (rx 580 8gb).
Updated to 0.6.1 + Kexts + Open Canopy GUI. Tested on Big Sur Public Beta (20A5354i) with F13 BIOS and SMBIOS 19,1. IGPU + GPU (rx 580 8gb).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    58.2 MB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Back