Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

@TurbineSeaplane Just ordered some noname 512gb ssd with a 32gb flash drive as a bonus for 52$ .Will try to install it during the weekend.

One more question: are you using one Clover for all of the versions of the OS installed or switching boot drive in BIOS and each OS has its own boot loader?

I put a full EFI on all boot drives and USB drive so I can fully test each config, particularly since different exact configs could be in play and matter between different major MacOS version installs. (not usually, but possible)

Plus I like to have as many bootable options as possible in case something goes awry.

Where did you read people „having very good feedback“ with Catalina???
Well, since I am able to understand and even speak English, Russian and Chinese there are lots of sources and I can rely on.
If you want a stable production environment wait at least for a .4/.5 release
This is a funny one, if you read my previous post, then you can see that I currently have 10.14.2 and its working flawlessly.
I shoot tons of commercial video and photo, never had an issue while editing them.
Even Mojave was kind of buggy until .3 imho
There's a slight chance that you are doing something wrong, or I'm so lucky I guess.

P.S.I have two macbooks: 13" and 15" both on 10.14.6 and there's no difference with hack at all.

... so I thought maybe to get one external 256gb and Install Catalina on it.To see how it works, while I can switch back and forth if needed to. When I'm sure that it's completely working use CCC to clone it into internal NVME ssd.

Yes, this works well (as @TurbineSeaplane points out) for Catalina. Actually better than I was expecting. I put a new 120GB Crucial SSD in a USB-C enclosure and installed Catalina on it using the Beta guide. Then I got adventurous and installed OpenCore as my boot-loader.

Rock solid. Only thing to worry about is the beta state of OpenCore and the necessity of learning a new way of doing things. If I drop a Clover EFI in place, instead of OC, then everything still boots perfectly out there on the USB-C enclosure.

I'm sure it wasn't always this easy o_O

:)

Interesting! Do you have a good learning source about setting up OpenCore correctly?
TIA

There are a few guides out there but none I'd recommend over any other. Yet. Most seemed aimed at the 'advanced user' who understands code and xml. Not good for most of us who just want it to work. 'Beta' software means anything could change as things are refined, but it's certainly going to be the way forward.

I just read the official documentation - and I would also recommend taking look at OpenCore Configurator from the same people who publish Clover Configurator. It's still in a development stage itself, however it does show all the processes in a very visual way, and that can be useful, especially how 'paths' and 'quirks' are used. Even if you use a plain text-editor to create your config.plist.

:)

@UtterDisbelief Great stuff and thoughts about OpenCore, thank you!

May I ask - what's the quick one or two lines of why OC will be the way forward?

Do you actually notice something on your build that feels better or more native or something like that?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth tinkering with.

Thx!

what's the quick one or two lines of why OC will be the way forward?
OpenCore and Clover are developed by the same team and at some time in the relatively near future they will drop support for Clover in favour of OpenCore.

OpenCore and Clover are developed by the same team and at some time in the relatively near future they will drop support for Clover in favour of OpenCore.

Oh! - wow
Ok - That is a pretty major detail I'd totally missed.

Hey, guys! I did it.Running latest Catalina 15.2 on an external SSD.

Sidecar(amazingly good even via WIFI), iMessage, Hevc support in Videoproc for rx580 and all other functions are working or at least they seem to work, but... Yeah, there's mostly "but" involved when you talk about hackintosh.

It seems that FCPX and Compressor only utilize a tiny bit of GPU and CPU power(I'm talking about 20-30% or even less according iStat Menus).

So what I did step by step:
1.Cloned my current 14.2 Mojave to an external ssd.
2.Took @b166ar 's latest(Aug 13) EFI which he mentioned was Catalina ready(it is) and replaced mine keeping my original config.plist.

I tried to update to the latest Clover, but it seems that I'm not enough knowledgable and it simply wouldn't boot.
3.Replaced files according this post for more USB power
Proper USB Power
Put both the files in Clover->ACPI->patched
Based on Rehabman's guide for USB Power

Now I can charge my iPad after this.

If I remember correctly @b166ar 's fixed it in his latest config.plist without these patches and also switched to to iMac 19,1 SMBIOS, but I've decided to stick with iMac18,3.

4.Used kexts updater and updated them to the latest versions.
5.Booted into 14.2 with new EFI, and simply went through install from AppStore.
6.After setting everything up in Catalina realized that rx580 doesn't appear in Videoproc , fixed it according this post
Found the solution - at least on my hardware with 10.14.5.

Set Graphics>FB Name to 'Orinoco' (available from drop-down list).
Set Graphics>Inject ATI

View attachment 409127

and added dummy HEVCEnabler.kext to EFI's Others folder.

So everything now looks like in the picture above.

I thought that problem in FCPX 10.4.5 so updated it to 10.4.8 and to the latest version of compressor - nope.

Changed SMBIOS to 19,1 - no effect.

Will do more tinkering later for sure, glad that I can do pretty much everything while having alongside perfectly working 14.2 completely intact.

I will provide my OpenCore configuration.
OpenCore for ACPI patch from https://github.com/daliansky/OC-little
I hope the acidanthera development team can solve the igpu problem at an early date.

Attachments

• OpenCore.zip
    2 MB · Views: 116
Back