Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

please follow this guide for full acceleration in videoproc and in Hackintool VDA decoder fully supported.

In BIOS iGPU (your intel processor one) is enable so programs which can take advantage of it can use it.

Hello, guys! Was checking a few videos about freshly released Catalina 10.15.2 and people mostly are having very good feedback, saying that it is stable enough to be the main one.

I'm still on 10.14.2 since it was installed in the very first time. But changes in Catalina (such as sidecar, better editing performance in FCPX with Metal etc) and its current stability makes me consider to upgrade.

What is the right order to do that? I believe there are two ways: update current OS to Catalina or fresh install. I'm pretty sure that fresh install is preferable and will definitely have less potential issues, but way more time consuming.

I see that some of you have updated Clover and kexts then installed Catalina as an update. Is it that simple?

I'm using this machine as my main photo and video editing station, and for now everything works fine, including Quick Sync and iMessage. My current bios version is F10, id iMac18,3.

Would really appreciate your opinions and advices!

For whatever it’s worth I highly recommend a fresh install if you can swing that.

Other than HEVC not seemingly working with my 570, everything else has been completely flawless on Catalina for me - surprisingly to be honest.

For whatever it’s worth I highly recommend a fresh install if you can swing that.

Yeah, I thought so. It's just loosing everything perfectly tuned and doing it again a bit pain in the neck.
But in the other hand, I don't do this too often, once per year is bearable.

By the way, I'm living in China and SSDs here are dirt cheap, so I thought maybe to get one external 256gb and Install Catalina on it.To see how it works, while I can switch back and forth if needed to. When I'm sure that it's completely working use CCC to clone it into internal NVME ssd.

Did some research yesterday I have to move kexts from "Other" to the folder with version of OS so in my case it would be "10.14.2"(move my currently using kexts there) and "10.15.2"(copy all the newest updated kexts), have you ever done this?

Other than HEVC not seemingly working with my 570, everything else has been completely flawless on Catalina for me - surprisingly to be honest.

"Sidecar requires hardware support for HEVC/H. 265 video encoding, since Sidecar operates not by sending a typical display signal to your iPad, but by sending a video stream over either Wi-Fi or a connected Lightning or USB-C cable"

One of the main reasons I want Catalina is being able to retouch photos with apple pencil, and Sidecar needs HEVC support, but as I understand CPU deals with it first. Wonder whether this going to be an issue.

By the way, I'm living in China and SSDs here are dirt cheap, so I thought maybe to get one external 256gb and Install Catalina on it.To see how it works, while I can switch back and forth if needed to. When I'm sure that it's completely working use CCC to clone it into internal NVME ssd.

That is exactly what I do with any new major version actually.

I like to test and test and get the full configuration just right so I know what to put on my new USB macOS installer and ultimately what to put onto my new primary install.

@TurbineSeaplane Just ordered some noname 512gb ssd with a 32gb flash drive as a bonus for 52$ .Will try to install it during the weekend.

One more question: are you using one Clover for all of the versions of the OS installed or switching boot drive in BIOS and each OS has its own boot loader?

@TurbineSeaplane Just ordered some noname 512gb ssd with a 32gb flash drive as a bonus for 52$ .Will try to install it during the weekend.

One more question: are you using one Clover for all of the versions of the OS installed or switching boot drive in BIOS and each OS has its own boot loader?

I put a full EFI on all boot drives and USB drive so I can fully test each config, particularly since different exact configs could be in play and matter between different major MacOS version installs. (not usually, but possible)

Plus I like to have as many bootable options as possible in case something goes awry.

Where did you read people „having very good feedback“ with Catalina???
Well, since I am able to understand and even speak English, Russian and Chinese there are lots of sources and I can rely on.
If you want a stable production environment wait at least for a .4/.5 release
This is a funny one, if you read my previous post, then you can see that I currently have 10.14.2 and its working flawlessly.
I shoot tons of commercial video and photo, never had an issue while editing them.
Even Mojave was kind of buggy until .3 imho
There's a slight chance that you are doing something wrong, or I'm so lucky I guess.

P.S.I have two macbooks: 13" and 15" both on 10.14.6 and there's no difference with hack at all.

... so I thought maybe to get one external 256gb and Install Catalina on it.To see how it works, while I can switch back and forth if needed to. When I'm sure that it's completely working use CCC to clone it into internal NVME ssd.

Yes, this works well (as @TurbineSeaplane points out) for Catalina. Actually better than I was expecting. I put a new 120GB Crucial SSD in a USB-C enclosure and installed Catalina on it using the Beta guide. Then I got adventurous and installed OpenCore as my boot-loader.

Rock solid. Only thing to worry about is the beta state of OpenCore and the necessity of learning a new way of doing things. If I drop a Clover EFI in place, instead of OC, then everything still boots perfectly out there on the USB-C enclosure.

I'm sure it wasn't always this easy o_O

:)

Back