Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Hello there!
I just realized I might have been doing something wrong:
In my very first attempt to install a hackintosh I have failed, installer wouldn't even start after choosing it in Clover.That time I just copied your EFI folder to bootable USB stick EFI partition.

I fixed it by copying all the kexts from LE folder to Others(Just drag and dropped them under High Sierra on my macbook pro).Then I generated a new serial number and kind of left it this way.For a few months already.

I'm still using 14.2 and have processed thousands of pictures and hundreds of videos using this machine, so no complains.

But it seems like having them all in Others all the time isn't right. Should I copy them via terminal to main partition's /Library/Extensions ?

Thanks for your time.

If something goes wrong and you will need my help, it is better to match my config and store kexts in "L/E/". It will be easier to troubleshoot.

But, I have never met any situations where kexts in "L/E/" worked differently than kexts in "Other".

So it is totally up to you.

P.S. I keep my kexts in L/E/ because of @RehabMan recommendations.

Does anyone know if this guide can be used with a Gigabyte Z390i motherboard? I'm working on a second build and couldn't get the z370n in on time, so I went with the Z390i.

It should work. But, this board has CNVi WIFI, and CNVi doesn't support WiFi cards from iMac and MacBook anymore.

The only option to use WiFi is PCIe card like this. So you need to choose between GPU-card and WiFi.

Sorry to jump in, but this question is interesting to me too ... There's a big debate about whether to have any Hack kexts in LE or all in Others (as you did).

One side (scroll down to "Where should I install 3rd Party Kexts ?").

Another side (scroll down to "Methodology" and "The Great Kext Schism").

It seems ... you decide :cool: but doing the same as B1 is probably best ;)

Love the name of it=) "The Great Kext Schism" - was good to read.
Thanks for the links!

If something goes wrong and you will need my help, it is better to match my config and store kexts in "L/E/". It will be easier to troubleshoot.

But, I have never met any situations where kexts in "L/E/" worked differently than kexts in "Other".

So it is totally up to you.

P.S. I keep my kexts in L/E/ because of @RehabMan recommendations.

Even though I have a bootable backup(exactly the way you have it), I still won't install any updates until at least 10.14.6 or even 10.15 (Guess clean install is preferable for a major update ).

So I stick to the way I have now.

Tnanks, guys @xmark @b166ar for clarification! Glad we have such a helpful community around this build and this forum in general!

Love the name of it=) "The Great Kext Schism" - was good to read.
Thanks for the links!

Even though I have a bootable backup(exactly the way you have it), I still won't install any updates until at least 10.14.6 or even 10.15 (Guess clean install is preferable for a major update ).

So I stick to the way I have now.

Tnanks, guys @xmark @b166ar for clarification! Glad we have such a helpful community around this build and this forum in general!

Just moved all my kexts to "Other" folder. Will test it for a week :rolleyes:

Just moved all my kexts to "Other" folder. Will test it for a week :rolleyes:

Just to add my data point, I've done it both ways on this board for multiple weeks on end and yet to notice any difference at all. Unrelated, but I'm still not noticing anything different between FakeSMC and VirtualSMC either.

Totally open and hopeful something definitive comes up either way, but without any reason not to do it - I do love everything being in "Other" to keep the install completely untouched and clean for updates, etc.

FINALLY got my custom USB done with Hackintool after about 9 attempts today.
lol

The port limitation thing was really hanging me up.

I finally just said "f it" to both the USB-C front/back as I simply don't have anything that uses USB-C and this MoBo only has USB 3.1 Gen 1 anyhow.

Very happy to have all the Type A's working as they should!!
Thanks for getting me on the right track with your great thread here @b166ar

@b166ar

How important are the things in these two places when I'm only using RX560 (no iGPU - turned off in BIOS)

Thanks for the great work and support.

Message to all: I don’t recommend you to use beta version of macOS with untested SMBIOS without QuickSync :crazy:
actually i forgot turn on the internal graphics in bios
so QuickSync is OK

Attachments

• 屏幕快照 2019-04-16 上午9.38.11.png
    屏幕快照 2019-04-16 上午9.38.11.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 90
Back