Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

I followed this guide, which I must say is a fantastic resource, and built a Hackintosh for my wife. She loves it and it's been running and stable since November. She went to get on this morning after shutting it down on Friday last week and it won't boot. Gives her the booting screen and just spins. At one point it showed the installer screen and looked as if it did an install of something. I had turned off the auto-update function on it, but I have to wonder if it updated to the latest Mojave. I'm trying to get into it using a clover USB installer, but cannot get to the file system no matter what I've tried yet.

So I did some digging with the clover USB installer to see if I can get the verbose flag working, as I had setup the machine to just auto boot to the main OS drive. The attached is what I'm getting back from that. Any ideas on how I can get this machine to boot back up? I even tried to run the MacOS installer from the USB drive and it won't even load that :-/

I followed this guide, which I must say is a fantastic resource, and built a Hackintosh for my wife. She loves it and it's been running and stable since November. She went to get on this morning after shutting it down on Friday last week and it won't boot. Gives her the booting screen and just spins. At one point it showed the installer screen and looked as if it did an install of something. I had turned off the auto-update function on it, but I have to wonder if it updated to the latest Mojave. I'm trying to get into it using a clover USB installer, but cannot get to the file system no matter what I've tried yet.

So I did some digging with the clover USB installer to see if I can get the verbose flag working, as I had setup the machine to just auto boot to the main OS drive. The attached is what I'm getting back from that. Any ideas on how I can get this machine to boot back up? I even tried to run the MacOS installer from the USB drive and it won't even load that :-/

Disregard all of this...I now see what's is actually coming back from my verbose flag. It's saying `busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleACPICPU'`. Going to do some more research, but if anyone has an idea of what that could be caused by, that'd be great.

That is why I have a bootable clone :)

Try to boot from a flash drive.

1. Take any flash drive and format it;
2. Mount EFI partition of this flash drive;
3. Copy this EFI folder to EFI partition of your flash drive https://d.pr/f/kAWLMu
4. Start your wife's Hack and hold F12;
5. Choice a flash drive;
6. Now you should see Clover GUI, find your disk there and try to boot to macOS.

That is why I have a bootable clone :)

Try to boot from a flash drive.

1. Take any flash drive and format it;
2. Mount EFI partition of this flash drive;
3. Copy this EFI folder to EFI partition of your flash drive https://d.pr/f/kAWLMu
4. Start your wife's Hack and hold F12;
5. Choice a flash drive;
6. Now you should see Clover GUI, find your disk there and try to boot to macOS.

You are a literal lifesaver! That did exactly what I needed :) thanks soooooo much! And lesson learned haha! I'll plan on making a bootable clone! :lol:

overall I can't say that the 10.14.4 update was good to me. I get random boot fails. The jpeg problem needed extra kext. and overall the os is less stable.

:beachball::beachball::beachball:

Clover ▸ 4910
AppleALC ▸ 1.3.7
WhateverGreen ▸ 1.2.8

The easiest way to update Clover:
  1. Backup your config.plist;
  2. Download my current EFI folder;
  3. Replace your EFI with my EFI;
  4. Delete my config.plist and use your config.plist instead;
  5. Reboot.
Kexts:
1. Navigate to downloaded Kexts for LE folder in Terminal;
2. Run command to copy kexts from to L/E:

Code:
sudo cp -R *.kext /Library/Extensions

3. Then, rebuild kext cache:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

:beachball::beachball::beachball:

Clover ▸ 4910
AppleALC ▸ 1.3.7
WhateverGreen ▸ 1.2.8
Hello there!
I just realized I might have been doing something wrong:
In my very first attempt to install a hackintosh I have failed, installer wouldn't even start after choosing it in Clover.That time I just copied your EFI folder to bootable USB stick EFI partition.

I fixed it by copying all the kexts from LE folder to Others(Just drag and dropped them under High Sierra on my macbook pro).Then I generated a new serial number and kind of left it this way.For a few months already.

I'm still using 14.2 and have processed thousands of pictures and hundreds of videos using this machine, so no complains.

But it seems like having them all in Others all the time isn't right. Should I copy them via terminal to main partition's /Library/Extensions ?

Thanks for your time.

But it seems like having them all in Others all the time isn't right.

Sorry to jump in, but this question is interesting to me too ... There's a big debate about whether to have any Hack kexts in LE or all in Others (as you did).

One side (scroll down to "Where should I install 3rd Party Kexts ?").

Another side (scroll down to "Methodology" and "The Great Kext Schism").

It seems ... you decide :cool: but doing the same as B1 is probably best ;)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this guide can be used with a Gigabyte Z390i motherboard? I'm working on a second build and couldn't get the z370n in on time, so I went with the Z390i.

Back