Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

:beachball::beachball::beachball:

Clover updated to 4871.

The easiest way to update Clover:
  1. Backup your config.plist;
  2. Download my current EFI folder;
  3. Replace your EFI with my EFI;
  4. Delete my config.plist and use your config.plist instead;
  5. Reboot.

I reconfigured USB ports with Hackintool. It took me about 40 minutes, but in general, it is a simpler way to configure USB than RehabMan's custom SSDT. Especially for beginners.

This method has two more benefits.
1. You don't need to use DSDT patches in Clover. So now my ACPI tab looks completely clean!

2. This method provides full USB power for my devices. I tried to charge my iPad Pro, and amperemeter shows that iPad now draws 1.6A. Before it was 500 mAh max. No additional kexts and config needed.

Implementation
Hackintool generates two files: USBPorts.kext and SSDT-EC.aml. All files you cant find on my GitHub.

Be aware, that I made my config only for motherboards USB. It will not work with front USB on your case. And, of course, it will work only with Z370n motherboards.
  1. USBPorts.kext goes to /Library/Extensions/ (how to copy kexts);
  2. SSDT-EC.aml goes to /EFI/ACPI/patched/;
  3. Remove USBInjectAll.kext from /Library/Extensions/;
  4. Remove Clover renames from SSDT section: XHC, EH01, EH02;
  5. Reboot.
P.S. I forgot to map USB-C port to work with USB 2 drives. So now it is only USB 3 compatible. Maybe I will fix this next weekends.

Lilu.kext ▸ 1.3.3
AppleALC.kext ▸ 1.3.5

The easiest way to update kexts:

Kexts:
  1. Download my current EFI folder;
  2. Navigate to downloaded Kexts for LE folder in Terminal;
  3. Run command to copy kexts from to L/E;
Code:
sudo cp -R *.kext /Library/Extensions

3. Then, rebuild kext cache:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Wow! Almost 29k in Geekbench. How? I have only 28k :)

Maybe it is related to your RAM speed?

I'm using Corsair LPX 3000 Mhz 2x16gb. But it seems to be that your RAM is even faster.

Speaking of CPU: guess L9i isn't quite enough for i7 8700 (never done any kind of delidding and undervolting, kinda afraid to break something). Chinese new year holidays now and stores are closed, but ones they open I will try to get NH-L12(without top fan) for CPU cooling.

It's quite cool here in my room (normally below 20°C during the winter), and CPU temp under 100% load(exporting 500 RAWs in Lightroom) reaches 85°C, was playing Far Cry 5 for a long time and Resident Evil 2 Remake, even with 30-60% of the load - temp is still around 70-75°C(Guess because GPU's heat shares it over all the components).

Clover updated to 4871.

What's the point of updating Clover? I'm still using the one you had with 14.2(And I'm still on 14.2).

Not sure should I update Mojave and Clover, since everything works as it is now.

Lilu.kext ▸ 1.3.3
AppleALC.kext ▸ 1.3.5

Same question about the keeping kexts up to date, what it gives you? A better performance or more compatibility with a newer hardware?

1. You don't need to use DSDT patches in Clover. So now my ACPI tab looks completely clean!

Lastly wanted to ask what's good about having ACPI tab clean? Why it's a benefit?

Thanks again for your build(especially for keeping the thread alive) and your time!

For me using hackintosh is a pure pleasure,at least for now, Cheers!

What's the point of updating Clover? I'm still using the one you had with 14.2(And I'm still on 14.2).
Not sure should I update Mojave and Clover, since everything works as it is now.
Same question about the keeping kexts up to date, what it gives you? A better performance or more compatibility with a newer hardware?

You do not need to update Clover and kexts if everything works well. But Clover and kexts must be up to date before any macOS update.

I always install all updates and test them. So people who follow my setup will know, that updates are safe and Hackintosh will not collapse :)

Lastly wanted to ask what's good about having ACPI tab clean? Why it's a benefit?

Fewer settings = less time to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

Some people have messy config.plist with settings that not even relevant to their hardware. But I keep my settings clean.

Speaking of CPU: guess L9i isn't quite enough for i7 8700 (never done any kind of delidding and undervolting, kinda afraid to break something). Chinese new year holidays now and stores are closed, but ones they open I will try to get NH-L12(without top fan) for CPU cooling.

Undervolting is safe and easy. You literally need to change a few digits in BIOS, and your temps will drop for 4-7°C.

Last edited:
So @b166ar, I have a question. You dual-boot your hackintosh with Windows 10, don't you? I am planning to purchase one extra M.2 SSD to install Windows on. First question is: the rear M.2 slot for SSD in our motherboard only supports NVMe drives, no SATA at all right?

Second question is: once I get the drive, can I just install Windows on it and Clover will automatically recognize both systems? Or do I have to configure something first?

I appreciate any hints!

So @b166ar, I have a question. You dual-boot your hackintosh with Windows 10, don't you? I am planning to purchase one extra M.2 SSD to install Windows on. First question is: the rear M.2 slot for SSD in our motherboard only supports NVMe drives, no SATA at all right?

Second question is: once I get the drive, can I just install Windows on it and Clover will automatically recognize both systems? Or do I have to configure something first?

I appreciate any hints!

I believe there's some misunderstanding and @b166ar's "suspended" status has nothing to worry about.

Meanwhile I'm glad I can answer at least one of your questions, since I was digging dualboot system topic for a long time before I made it.

I'm not completely sure whether rear m.2 supports SATA(In my case both ssds are m.2), but I have another 2.5" SATA disk plugged and using it as a backup disk for hackintosh (same as @b166ar).

Speaking about Windows10/Mojave dualboot:

First I installed Windows 10(but order doesn't really matters), then unplugged m.2 disk with it, plugged another m.2 ssd into second slot and installed Mojave, after everything was tweaked, I plugged Win10 m.2 ssd back, Clover automatically sees it.

People here on forum and from ****** advice no to install any of OS while disk with the second one is plugged in, in an order not to mess up with the booting files, so yeah I did it this way, and have perfectly working system.

I reconfigured USB ports with Hackintool. It took me about 40 minutes, but in general, it is a simpler way to configure USB than RehabMan's custom SSDT. Especially for beginners.

View attachment 384834

2. This method provides full USB power for my devices. I tried to charge my iPad Pro, and amperemeter shows that iPad now draws 1.6A. Before it was 500 mAh max. No additional kexts and config needed.
View attachment 384835

Implementation
Hackintool generates two files: USBPorts.kext and SSDT-EC.aml. All files you cant find on my GitHub.

Be aware, that I made my config only for motherboards USB. It will not work with front USB on your case. And, of course, it will work only with Z370n motherboards.
  1. USBPorts.kext goes to /Library/Extensions/ (how to copy kexts);
  2. SSDT-EC.aml goes to /EFI/ACPI/patched/;
  3. Remove USBInjectAll.kext from /Library/Extensions/;
  4. Remove Clover renames from SSDT section: XHC, EH01, EH02;
  5. Reboot.
P.S. I forgot to map USB-C port to work with USB 2 drives. So now it is only USB 3 compatible. Maybe I will fix this next weekends.

other than SSDT-EC.aml

for newer SMBIOS, extra SSDT-USBX.aml is needed, maybe it can help you solve the wake up from sleep, Disk not ejected properly issue.

[Guide] USB power property injection for Sierra (and later)

It's quite cool here in my room (normally below 20°C during the winter), and CPU temp under 100% load(exporting 500 RAWs in Lightroom) reaches 85°C, was playing Far Cry 5 for a long time and Resident Evil 2 Remake, even with 30-60% of the load - temp is still around 70-75°C(Guess because GPU's heat shares it over all the components).

I feel a little bad because it was me who recommended some of your components (although I mentioned that the Noctua had limitations even with my processor). But I definitely second @b166ar's suggestion to try undervolting. It's pretty easy, cost-free, and is guaranteed to lower your cpu temperatures by a few degrees. Even a conservative 50mv undervolt on my CPU helped the temperatures to remain under 77C in all intensive tasks (in my case games). You should definitely give it a try. Take a look at this post to see how it's done in the Z370N WiFi.

Now, some changes I made to specific components in order to get everything a bit cooler:

GPU: Personally, I replaced the fans of my RX580 with two Noctua 120mm. It was something along the lines of this mod. Well frankly, the final result was not very aesthetically pleasant... Even the temperature drop was not that high: around 6C - maximum of 79C in games now as opposed to 85C before. However, the real difference is noise-wise: the Noctua fans barely spin and when they do, they're literally inaudible. However, try this mod only if you want to keep your VGA for a really long time, because you won't be able to sell it :lol:, unless you restore the original fans.

Case: since your case supports two case fans, I recommend setting them as exhaust rather than intake (if you're not doing it already). The rationale behind it is that small cases like yours (and mine) work better with negative air pressure. In other words, it's more effective to get rid of the hot air and allow fresh air in through the grill holes than the opposite. This experiment highlights the difference in temperature caused by the orientation of the case fans. The tests were done in a Node 202 case, but the same should apply to your case.

I believe there's some misunderstanding and @b166ar's "suspended" status has nothing to worry about.

Meanwhile I'm glad I can answer at least one of your questions, since I was digging dualboot system topic for a long time before I made it.

I'm not completely sure whether rear m.2 supports SATA(In my case both ssds are m.2), but I have another 2.5" SATA disk plugged and using it as a backup disk for hackintosh (same as @b166ar).

Speaking about Windows10/Mojave dualboot:

First I installed Windows 10(but order doesn't really matters), then unplugged m.2 disk with it, plugged another m.2 ssd into second slot and installed Mojave, after everything was tweaked, I plugged Win10 m.2 ssd back, Clover automatically sees it.

People here on forum and from ****** advice no to install any of OS while disk with the second one is plugged in, in an order not to mess up with the booting files, so yeah I did it this way, and have perfectly working system.

Oh, I hadn't noticed that. Some rules here are strictly reinforced, and I remember being suspended for one week in my early days for posting more components in my signature than allowed. (honest mistake though, I hadn't read the rules at that time :thumbdown). He should be back soon.

Cool, thanks for the hints! It looks like installing Windows 10 on my hack will not be a big deal, even with Mojave already installed. I will pull the trigger on a cheap NVMe SSD and give it a try!

Back