Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Ok - scratch that...
Got it working now

Only problem I'm having is with iMessage.

I just did a straight copy of your provided EFI and Library/Extensions files.
Is the problem possibly happening there?

It's letting me login, sort of - but it's not working right and I'm getting hints of the old authentication errors from early Hack iMessage days.

I did the Essentials .zip file thing - should I attach that here or how is that best communicated?
Thank you!

Last edited:
Hey, @b166ar have you tried the new VirtualSMC implementation instead of FakeSMC?

Hi, @b166ar, You could tell me which of the two slots of M2 placed the Evo 970 NVMe 250gb, I'm building the same build, but I can not take the SSD, thanks.

Hi, @escapado, You mentioned that in both places of M2 can be placed SSD NVMe, that's absolutely true? I have read in several places that only lets you place a M. 2 The other is for Intel Optane and does not take the SSD,

Forgiveness is that I want to get the doubts, I have an SSD NVMe 970 Samsung 250 connected to an M2 slot, and I'm about to buy another, but I want to be sure that will work the 2 slots for M2, you have the 2 slots with SSD NVMe? Just like you want to build your construction @serg1892, thanks

Hi, @b166ar, You could tell me which of the two slots of M2 placed the Evo 970 NVMe 250gb, I'm building the same build, but I can not take the SSD, thanks.

Hi, @escapado, You mentioned that in both places of M2 can be placed SSD NVMe, that's absolutely true? I have read in several places that only lets you place a M. 2 The other is for Intel Optane and does not take the SSD,

Forgiveness is that I want to get the doubts, I have an SSD NVMe 970 Samsung 250 connected to an M2 slot, and I'm about to buy another, but I want to be sure that will work the 2 slots for M2, you have the 2 slots with SSD NVMe? Just like you want to build your construction @serg1892, thanks

Hi there,

I have the same MOBO and two Samsung 970 NVMe drives. Both working fine.
250GB is under the MOBO no Gigabyte heatsink. Partitioned to host Win10, macOS and Ubuntu. Average temps: 52-55C
500GB is where my home directory is, on top, under the Gigabyte heatsink. Average temps: 44-48C

These NVMe's come uninitialized, make sure you format them, otherwise won't be seen

Hi there,

I have the same MOBO and two Samsung 970 NVMe drives. Both working fine.
250GB is under the MOBO no Gigabyte heatsink. Partitioned to host Win10, macOS and Ubuntu. Average temps: 52-55C
500GB is where my home directory is, on top, under the Gigabyte heatsink. Average temps: 44-48C

These NVMe's come uninitialized, make sure you format them, otherwise won't be seen

Excellent! Thank you very much for answering, you have been a great help! Because I plan to do the same, but place one of 1TB as far as possible on the top of the MOBO, thanks!

b1's "Mac Mini Killer" macOS Mojave Coffee Lake Build:
i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

View attachment 368012
View attachment 351173 View attachment 351174 View attachment 351175 View attachment 351176

Components
  • Intel Core i7-8700 non K;
  • GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI;
  • G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz;
  • 250GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2;
  • Noctua NH-L9I Cooler;
  • WiFi adapter from MacBook Air (BCM94360CS2);
  • Flex 4.5L case and SeaSonic 300W 80+ Gold PSU.

Performance

This is my current Geekbench score with overclocked memory to 3600 MHz.

View attachment 368016

What Works
Everything: WiFi, BT, LAN, Audio, iMessage, Wake & Sleep, Universal Clipboard, USB 3, USB-C, DP-audio, Hands-off, AirDrop, Hardware Acceleration, Shutdown, Unlock with Apple Watch, you name it.

What Doesn't Work
  • PowerNap is turned off, so no apps update during sleep. Maybe it works, I just not tested it.
  • If I enable XMP profile in BIOS for automatic RAM overclock or overclock RAM manually, I have a warning «Disk not ejected properly». after waking from sleep. You need to reconnect external drives to make it work again. It can be critical for people who use external drives on a daily basis. There is three solution for that:
    • Prevent sleep with free Amphetamine app. I like it because it let monitor fall asleep and/or enable screensaver. It’s crucial if you want your Hackintosh to lock automatically.
    • Disable XMP. Fixes the problem entirely, but harms general performance.
    • Use Jettison app that unmount drives before sleep. I don’t test it personally.
Short links

How to ask for help
If you have troubles during migrating to my EFI and settings, please attach «problem reporting» files to your post. The easiest way is to install and run this script.

Download EFI, kexts and detailed instructions on Github

hey @b166ar,
I remember you saying that you would eventually want to upgrade to a different graphics card, that had lower power consumption for your build, which one were you considering ?

@inarush Hi, you were so kind to me answering my previous questions. Hope won't mind answering a couple more of them.

Finally I did it, the machine is assembled and working, changed the PSU to the one you've recommended sf450.
Had some problems with the video card, but already got it replaced and tested using Windows 10.

First thing I went to youtube for the "Instal Mojave Hackintosh" tutorial. One Spanish guy recommended using Mojave MBR HFS Firmware Check Patch in an order to install bootable media, which I did.
Then with the Clover Configurator mounted EFI folder of the installer USB stick, and dragged the EFI folder of @b166ar from github.
Changed the bios settings to the ones he listed in the post on github.
2/3 progress bar of installer and "no symbol" as a result.

Tried to use createinstallmedia script as I would do for clean install with MacBook, also mounted EFI, copied his UFI folder - "no symbol"

Boot it with -V, but once this "no symbol" appears everything unreadable, I'd say looks glitchy.

He mentioned that kexts should not be copied using finder, but I thought it's the post installation process, and this guy from tutorial mentioned "if your config same to his" just drag it and you are good to go!

Can you tell me what I've done wrong and might recommend some tutorial cuz there are tons of them, and it's really hard to choose. Huge thanks again in advance!

@markoskz hi, buddy! I didn't use two m.2 ssds simultaneously yet, installed windows 10 on the one without heatsink, and removed it till completely install MacOs on the one with heatsink (people say for dualboot it's better not to have them together during the installation). But I think other folks here already confirmed that they are work fine.

Last edited:
macOS updated to 10.14.3 :beachball:

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 21.31.00.png

Back