Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

I took a look at the pmset log and apparently this is what's causing the sleep error: Platform Driver Failure during wake due to 0x00000021

However, a google search is not being very useful at helping understand that... Any ideas?

Thanks a lot! It happened again, so I'm definitely attaching the file. Please take a look when you have a chance.

I was wondering if by any chance you saw this post? https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/post-1805653. It look like Lilu 1.3.0 is breaking some plugins that are dependent on version 1.2.x...

I had this issue, but they fixed it in Lilu 1.3.1.

So, what I found:

1. You are using the beta version of Clover (4832). The last stable release is 4813;
2. Your drivers64UEFI and drivers64 have duplicated or unnecessary files;
3. You pmset -g is different. Try to match mine — https://github.com/b166ar/Mac-Mini-Killer#sleep

Try to use my EFI folder and my config.plist. Just remove all boot options that you don't need. And then edit your pmset settings.

I found a few syntax errors in my previous config.plist, so it is important to use my new config.plist as a template.

Last edited:
Install and run EssentialsList.command. It will generate archive with «problem reporting» files on your /Desktop. Attached this archive to your post and I will take a look.

I've also experienced random reboots. But this was a PSU problem…

-hi
still experience random reboots. other than that all seams to be working fine.
I've run the script.
cheers for making all that.

Attachments

• EssentialsList-2019-01-03 14.32.08.zip
    532 KB · Views: 54
Hi @b166ar am attaching my Essentialist, as am not expert so just want you to check if anything is alright and if I need to delete anything not necessary. ps. am losing my wallpaper on 2nd display (dual monitors setup) whenever I start the Hackintosh

Attachments

• EssentialsList-2019-01-03 16.25.18.zip
    112.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hello from Shanghai!
I'm about to assemble my first hackintosh and your build is seems to be a great base for mine!
Would you check my specs and answer a few questions, please?

I've been reading the forum and all the guides for quite a while, but there's still something which I don't understand.
Specs:
Geeek a50 mini itx enclosure (140 x 210 x 330mm)
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
i7 8700(non K)
Noctua NH-L9i
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2400Mhz DDR4 2x16gb
2x NVME m.2 SSD Samsung EVO 250gb(Windows) and 500gb(Mojave)
Saphire RX580 8gb Nitro+
Corsair SF600 PSU 600W 80+ Gold
LG 34UC88-B Ultrawide 34" 1440p Display (I know this doesn't really matter just for the whole picture)

What's this build for?
Mostly for FCPX 4K Video editing and occasional gaming.

Why I chose Geeek a50?

Want to get as small as possible and not to spend a fortune for Dan A4 SFX, and be able to put in in my backpack to travel with it.

i7 8700 why not K?

Guess it's the same reason you went with it, it's supposed to be less hot, which is important for mini itx cases. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Same reason I went with 2400Mhz memory.

I only will use NVME ssds, because I have too many external ssds and hdds.

Saphire RX580 8gb Nitro+ as I understand is the most compatible while also is best price/performance.
People say that already from High Sierra it natively supported by MacOS, but I see some are still using Whatevergreen kext with it, don't really understand why.

Also you chose Z motherboard with not K CPU,I don't understand why. I did it as well because there are tons of manuals on this specific motherboard, so troubleshooting supposed to be less painful.

600W PSU isn't it's an overkill? I checked some online calculators and my build must consume around 350W, while when I checked specs for RX580 GPU it says 550 PSU is recommended.

Speaking of Wifi and natively supported card I have some doubts, replacing the way you did it might void the warranty, so I'm thinking about external usb adapter.

Lastly I wanted to say that I haven't purchased it yet, waiting for the payday to do that, and if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Thanks for reading this and hope it won't bother you too much to answer it!

I had this issue, but they fixed it in Lilu 1.3.1.

So, what I found:

1. You are using the beta version of Clover (4832). The last stable release is 4813;
2. Your drivers64UEFI and drivers64 have duplicated or unnecessary files;
3. You pmset -g is different. Try to match mine — https://github.com/b166ar/Mac-Mini-Killer#sleep

Try to use my EFI folder and my config.plist. Just remove all boot options that you don't need. And then edit your pmset settings.

I found a few syntax errors in my previous config.plist, so it is important to use my new config.plist as a template.

Thanks, I was actually using Clover Builder (https://github.com/Dids/clover-builder), but will definitely go back to the regular Clover.

This weekend I will give it another try using your EFI folder. I noticed that your build supports FileVault2 encryption. However, I don't use FileVault (at least in my Hack). So in my case, do I have to remove any file from your EFI folder to skip FileVault encryption?

By the way, which options do you check when installing (or updating) Clover?

Thanks again for your time!

Hello from Shanghai!
I'm about to assemble my first hackintosh and your build is seems to be a great base for mine!
Would you check my specs and answer a few questions, please?

I've been reading the forum and all the guides for quite a while, but there's still something which I don't understand.
Specs:
Geeek a50 mini itx enclosure (140 x 210 x 330mm)
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
i7 8700(non K)
Noctua NH-L9i
Corsair Vengeance Lpx 2400Mhz DDR4 2x16gb
2x NVME m.2 SSD Samsung EVO 250gb(Windows) and 500gb(Mojave)
Saphire RX580 8gb Nitro+
Corsair SF600 PSU 600W 80+ Gold
LG 34UC88-B Ultrawide 34" 1440p Display (I know this doesn't really matter just for the whole picture)

What's this build for?
Mostly for FCPX 4K Video editing and occasional gaming.

Why I chose Geeek a50?

Want to get as small as possible and not to spend a fortune for Dan A4 SFX, and be able to put in in my backpack to travel with it.

i7 8700 why not K?

Guess it's the same reason you went with it, it's supposed to be less hot, which is important for mini itx cases. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Same reason I went with 2400Mhz memory.

I only will use NVME ssds, because I have too many external ssds and hdds.

Saphire RX580 8gb Nitro+ as I understand is the most compatible while also is best price/performance.
People say that already from High Sierra it natively supported by MacOS, but I see some are still using Whatevergreen kext with it, don't really understand why.

Also you chose Z motherboard with not K CPU,I don't understand why. I did it as well because there are tons of manuals on this specific motherboard, so troubleshooting supposed to be less painful.

600W PSU isn't it's an overkill? I checked some online calculators and my build must consume around 350W, while when I checked specs for RX580 GPU it says 550 PSU is recommended.

Speaking of Wifi and natively supported card I have some doubts, replacing the way you did it might void the warranty, so I'm thinking about external usb adapter.

Lastly I wanted to say that I haven't purchased it yet, waiting for the payday to do that, and if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Thanks for reading this and hope it won't bother you too much to answer it!

I will comment on this since what you're proposing is very close to my build (which I chose "randomly", or before reading this topic). Personally, I chose the Z370N-WiFi not for its overclocking capabilities, but for having two M.2 SSD slots (one of them with heatsink) and for having a higher quality on-board HDMI connection (in case I wanted/needed to use the on-board graphics device).

I think your Hackintosh will turn out very good. I got the same RAM model and amount, but the 2666 MHz version - which I highly recommend you to do. Of course the higher RAM clock the better, but in the current Intel world anything beyond 2666 MHz offers only marginal extra performance (in real tests, not in benchmarks). Unless you want to overclock your processor, which doesn't seem do be the case...

I also have the Noctua NH-L9i, and I like it - it was the best silent cooler I could fit in my tiny Node 202. However, when running Prime95's torture test the processor temperature sometimes reaches 85 C. That's only with Prime95. In more realistic high usage scenarios though, like games, it rarely reaches 75 C. However, if your case allows a larger cooler then you might want to consider the Hyper 202 Evo (and replace its original fan with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM if you're not satisfied with the noise).

Last, the power supply. I have been using a Corsair SF450 to power up my Hack (i5-8400, RX 580, 32GB 2666 MHz RAM, 250 SSD + 1TB 2.5" 5400 HD, plus a couple of Noctua case fans) and I rarely saw its fan spinning, even during games. It's super efficient. Again, the higher wattage the better, and you will be even safer with the SF600. But if you end up needing to save some $$$ to say, get a faster RAM, then the power supply might be a candidate.

Other than that, I think you are going to be really happy and productive with your Hackintosh.

I will comment on this since what you're proposing is very close to my build (which I chose "randomly", or before reading this topic). Personally, I chose the Z370N-WiFi not for its overclocking capabilities, but for having two M.2 SSD slots (one of them with heatsink) and for having a higher quality on-board HDMI connection (in case I wanted/needed to use the on-board graphics device).

I think your Hackintosh will turn out very good. I got the same RAM model and amount, but the 2666 MHz version - which I highly recommend you to do. Of course the higher RAM clock the better, but in the current Intel world anything beyond 2666 MHz offers only marginal extra performance (in real tests, not in benchmarks). Unless you want to overclock your processor, which doesn't seem do be the case...

I also have the Noctua NH-L9i, and I like it - it was the best silent cooler I could fit in my tiny Node 202. However, when running Prime95's torture test the processor temperature sometimes reaches 85 C. That's only with Prime95. In more realistic high usage scenarios though, like games, it rarely reaches 75 C. However, if your case allows a larger cooler then you might want to consider the Hyper 202 Evo (and replace its original fan with a Noctua NF-F12 PWM if you're not satisfied with the noise).

Last, the power supply. I have been using a Corsair SF450 to power up my Hack (i5-8400, RX 580, 32GB 2666 MHz RAM, 250 SSD + 1TB 2.5" 5400 HD, plus a couple of Noctua case fans) and I rarely saw its fan spinning, even during games. It's super efficient. Again, the higher wattage the better, and you will be even safer with the SF600. But if you end up needing to save some $$$ to say, get a faster RAM, then the power supply might be a candidate.

Other than that, I think you are going to be really happy and productive with your Hackintosh.

Wow!Thanks a lot for answering my noob questions!

Now I see why is Z motherboard is good choice for me as well.Those two M.2 ssds is everything I need for the internal storage, so no cables for 2.5" ssd and better cable management as a result (planning to order custom cables for PSU).

It's weird, but I can't find this memory(Corsair Vengeance) with 2666MHz on Taobao (Chinese Ebay), only 2400/3000/3200. There's one 2666MHz from Crucial (listed on Buyer's guide), but it has no heatsink, which is might be a problem for this tiny enclosure.

Speaking of enclosure: the cooling system you've proposed is too big for it, and I guess it was a typo: you meant Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

Yes, you are right, I won't be overclocking anything anytime soon. Speaking of potential performance I think - it will be day and night difference between my current MacBook Pro 13" 2015 base model(i5,120g ssd, iris6100).And must be more than enough for working with 100mbit 4k footage.

Interesting that TDP's of i5 8400 and i7 8700 are the same 65W, makes me consider SF450 too.

Payday is in ten days, gotta make a decision before that! Thanks again!

My hackintosh is now providing 2100mA to my iPhone, rather than the previous 500mA.

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 9.58.43 PM.png

This makes my phone charge MUCH faster. This is what needs to be done in order to get higher USB power: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...te-z370n-wifi-intel-hd630.263345/post-1870296.

A huge thanks to @Rajkhand for sharing the files!

So I've had to default to trying this with UniBeast..
I have no clue what's happening - In verbose mode all seems to be booting fine from the installer USB, but when it goes to finally start the installer it goes to a black screen. I've tried all the outputs on my RX580. So weird.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Last edited:
Back