Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Both the front and rear ports can only deliver 500mA on my hack (according to System Information), while the USB3.0 ports on my MacBook Pro are able to deliver 900mA.

After more investigation ... in SI with my Android in the front (Type-A) port, it shows only 500mA available. Same as your iPhone. The phone reports the same/similar charging. (As above, using the Type-C port, I get ~1A charging. But it does not show up in SI).

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 11.25.04.png

Now in SI with an external hard drive (Sam M3) in the same front Type-A port ... 900mA. So the Type-A ports can deliver 0.9A.

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 11.55.42.png

It seems the Type-A is connecting the M3 at USB3 data rate and power, but the both phones connect at ordinary USB2. Hence the old low-power. But it is not the hardware that is limiting this. So some config change is needed.

But USB 3.1 Gen 1 is limited for 0.9A @ 5V. But, I found a few mentions in internet that USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C can deliver 1.5A or even 3A.

I agree. Type-C is supposed to share significant power between devices. TBH I wish our m/b had TB3 equivalent (USB3.1 Gen2) which is much more powerful. The Z370M-ITX/ac does have these ports. There was a discussion about it being a better Hack for Mac Mini for this reason.

Clover updated to v2.4k r4798 :beachball:

The easiest way to update:

1. Backup your config.plist;
2. Download my current EFI folder;
3. Replace your EFI with my EFI;
4. Delete my config.plist and use your config.plist instead.

Clover updated to v2.4k r4798 :beachball:

The easiest way to update:

1. Backup your config.plist;
2. Download my current EFI folder;
3. Replace your EFI with my EFI;
4. Delete my config.plist and use your config.plist instead.
Why you still using Kaby Lake FakeID for your Coffee Lake? I think its not correct for Mojave anymore, did you ever try FBPatcher app?

i think i need your help now @b166ar , recently i update to 10.14.2, removed my rx560 (too loud in my case), and switched to hd630, one thing that bugs me is i cannot have dual monitor if i don't unplug and plug one of my monitor after boot, (it show dual monitor correctly during clover and booting, apple logo), but after boot completed, it only black screen on one of my monitor, if i unplug and replug it, it will show normally..., quiet confused now...

*smbios macmini 8.1
*bios: IGFX
*fake-platform-id: 0x59120000 (did try change to 0x3E90007, as it was appear on clover, yet no difference)

Why you still using Kaby Lake FakeID for your Coffee Lake? I think its not correct for Mojave anymore, did you ever try FBPatcher app?

Good point. I missed it. But Coffee Lake FakeID without any problems.

did you ever try FBPatcher app?

I played with it, but after I configured everything manually.

Kaby Lake FakeID changed to Coffee Lake FakeID :beachball:

config.plist ▸ Devices ▸ IntelGFX = 0x3E918086
config.plist ▸ Graphics ▸ ig-platfrom-id = 0x3E9B0007 (you can also try 0x3E920003)

Updated EFI.

Last edited:
recently i update to 10.14.2, removed my rx560 (too loud in my case), and switched to hd630, one thing that bugs me is i cannot have dual monitor if i don't unplug and plug one of my monitor after boot

Try this first:
config.plist ▸ Devices ▸ IntelGFX = 0x3E918086
config.plist ▸ Graphics ▸ ig-platfrom-id = 0x3E9B0007 (you can also try 0x3E920003)

Also swapping monitor cables could help.

You can also check @xmark topic — they discuss multimonitor setup and iGPU patching. Im using eGPU, so cant provide any support for iGPU :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back