Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

What do you mean? All motherboard USBs support USB 2 and USB 3.

There is a USB2 and USB3 header in the Mobo. I understand the USB3 header, which is connected to Front Panel normally, is not mapped by the SSDT and that is OK. Is that the case with the USB2 header as well?

There is a USB2 and USB3 header in the Mobo. I understand the USB3 header, which is connected to Front Panel normally, is not mapped by the SSDT and that is OK. Is that the case with the USB2 header as well?

My SSDT is only for back panel USB-ports. If you want to connect front panel USB to internal mobo header (any type of USB), then you need to modify SSDT. Otherwise, there could be some glitches with sleep/wake.

I wish I could help you with this, but I have nothing to connect to the internal USB. :rolleyes:

My SSDT is only for back panel USB-ports. If you want to connect front panel USB to internal mobo header (any type of USB), then you need to modify SSDT. Otherwise, there could be some glitches with sleep/wake.

Agree.

I understand the USB3 header, which is connected to Front Panel normally, is not mapped by the SSDT and that is OK.

My front panel USB3s are connected to the m/b internal USB3 hub (as normal). They do show up in IORegistryExplorer and need to be mapped just like any other USB port.

Also the BCM94360CS2 takes an internal USB connector via M.2 and it shows up in IOReg. So I dropped the 2 rear RHS USB ports, leaving a total of 15 ports (including the 2 front panel ones and counting each port for both USB2 & 3, the type-C in both directions and the BT port).

You can find my SSDT source file under my build guide (below). You can see the commented out ports there. Also the compiled file can be retrieved from my EFI.

Last edited:
My front panel USB3s are connected to the m/b internal USB3 hub (as normal).

So I dropped the 2 rear RHS USB ports

Do you use one internal connector, or two? All rear USB ports and WiFi are exactly 15 ports.

6 USB 2.0 + 6 USB 3.0
1 USB-C USB 2.0 + 1 USB-C 3.x
1 M.2 for Wifi (works like USB HUB)

If you connect front panel USB to internal USB hub, you will need to drop only 1 rare USB.

Theoretically it will be enough to drop only USB 2.0 support for one of rare USB. So you can keep all rare USB 3.0 ports.

5 USB 2.0 + 6 USB 3.0
1 USB-C USB 2.0 + 1 USB-C 3.x
1 M.2 for Wifi (works like internal USB HUB)
1 Internal hub for front panel

If you connect front panel USB to internal USB hub, you will need to drop only 1 rare USB.

I hear you. However, for the front panel connected to the m/b internal USB3 header ... the 2 front USB ports show up as individual USB2/3 ports on IOReg. So the internal header doesn't seem to act like a hub, multiplexing a single USB2/3 pair into two pairs. Instead they show up as valid USB ports the same as the rear ones.

So my count is like this:

4 x USB2/3 = 8 ports on the rear LHS.
1 x type-C USB3 one way up
1 x type-C USB3 the other way up (this is explained in RehabMan's SSDT USBInjectAll guide)
2 x USB2/3 = 4 ports on the front panel
1 x USB2 for the M.2 Broadcom (only shows as USB2)

This makes 15.

Theoretically it will be enough to drop only USB 2.0 support for one of rare USB. So you can keep all rare USB 3.0 ports.

I am not sure about dropping the USB2 connections and keeping USB3 on the same ports. I agree, it sounds great & I did think of it but I recall reading in RehabMan's guide that for each USB3 port (SS) there should be a corresponding USB2 (HS). I believe not the other way round if 3 not supported on the port.

What I did not want was unexpected behaviour due to some phantom connection. So I simply do not use the USBs on the rear RHS. I do have some peripherals (mechanical keyboard, plus UPS connector) but not too many.

See my attached SSDT source file. That is what IOReg showed me when I followed RehabMan's procedure. I don't know if it is right, but all works as expected (phew!).

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC-ALL.dsl
    4.9 KB · Views: 83
I hear you. However, for the front panel connected to the m/b internal USB3 header ... the 2 front USB ports show up as individual USB2/3 ports on IOReg. So the internal header doesn't seem to act like a hub, multiplexing a single USB2/3 pair into two pairs. Instead they show up as valid USB ports the same as the rear ones.

So my count is like this:

4 x USB2/3 = 8 ports on the rear LHS.
1 x type-C USB3 one way up
1 x type-C USB3 the other way up (this is explained in RehabMan's SSDT USBInjectAll guide)
2 x USB2/3 = 4 ports on the front panel
1 x USB2 for the M.2 Broadcom (only shows as USB2)

This makes 15.

I am not sure about dropping the USB2 connections and keeping USB3 on the same ports. I agree, it sounds great & I did think of it but I recall reading in RehabMan's guide that for each USB3 port (SS) there should be a corresponding USB2 (HS). I believe not the other way round if 3 not supported on the port.

What I did not want was unexpected behaviour due to some phantom connection. So I simply do not use the USBs on the rear RHS. I do have some peripherals (mechanical keyboard, plus UPS connector) but not too many.

See my attached SSDT source file. That is what IOReg showed me when I followed RehabMan's procedure. I don't know if it is right, but all works as expected (phew!).

Thanks. Good to now. I will buy a new case in a few month and will need a new SSDT.

What rate ports you did you disabled? Left ones?

What rate ports you did you disabled? Left ones?

Sorry, depends how you look at the case. So I removed mapping for the right 2 when you look at the back. Both for USB2 & 3. They're both disabled. Just tried ... and no response to either USB2 or 3.

Screen Shot 2018-12-01 at 22.36.58 1.png

Last edited:
Clover updated to 4784 :beachball:

ApfsDriverLoader.efi, AppleUiSupport.efi, UsbKbDxe.efi updated to 2.0.5 :beachball:

The easiest way to update if you kexts are in L/E/:

1. Backup your config.plist;
2. Download my current EFI folder;
3. Replace your EFI with my EFI;
4. Delete my config.plist and use your config.plist instead.

Back