Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Looks like Power Management setting is not working. Run the script again — https://github.com/corpnewt/EssentialsList

Just to recap what I did (perhaps that is what messed up) I installed Clover with Multibeast initially (chosing the options needed for my setup), then upon booting on the hard disk (via USB), mounted EFI and replaced the EFI folder with your and rebooted again (should be fine, right?) Wanted Multibeast to put whatever needed Kexs in S/L/E needed.

Attached you can find EssentialsList. Let me know if I should scrape if an go totally without Multibeast.

Attachments

• EssentialsList-2018-11-19 16.51.50.zip
    115.3 KB · Views: 64
Just to recap what I did (perhaps that is what messed up) I installed Clover with Multibeast initially (chosing the options needed for my setup), then upon booting on the hard disk (via USB), mounted EFI and replaced the EFI folder with your and rebooted again (should be fine, right?) Wanted Multibeast to put whatever needed Kexs in S/L/E needed.

Attached you can find EssentialsList. Let me know if I should scrape if an go totally without Multibeast.

o_O

All that you need were in EFI folder, that I gave you.

Multibeast installed something in S/L/E or /L/E, that's why PM desn't work. And now we need to figure out what.

I will check it soon.

UPD: Try to delete this kext:

/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/USBInjectAll.kext
/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext
/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
/Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/AppleALC.kext

EFI folder should be as it is. Reboot and check your PM and Geekbench score.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 69
  • image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 66
Last edited:
o_O

All that you need were in EFI folder, that I gave you.

Multibeast installed something in S/L/E or /L/E, that's why PM desn't work. And now we need to figure out what.

I will check it soon.

UPD: Try to delete this kext:

/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_CPUSensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_GPUSensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_ACPISensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/USBInjectAll.kext
/Library/Extensions/WhateverGreen.kext
/Library/Extensions/Lilu.kext
/Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext
/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC_LPCSensors.kext
/Library/Extensions/AppleALC.kext

EFI folder should be as it is. Reboot and check your PM and Geekbench score.

So, I deleted all of those listed from /L/E. Monted the /EFI just in case and then replaced it again with yours. Run kextcache by

sudo kextcache -i /

Then :/
Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 19.14.40.png

I am attaching the results of Essentials script after that.

Attachments

• EssentialsList-2018-11-19 19.17.41.zip
    113.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
So I went on and installed Windows to see if the bad performance could be anyway related to OS X settings, etc. Got the same poor results. Unfortunately for me this riding is pointing towards the nightmare of brand new expensive hardware having with problems.

Looking in BIOS for the CPU temp, it weirdly shows temps of 15Celsius. I read somewhere (did not save the link) this was a known bug on some Z370Ns BIOSes (I have version F10 installed).

So far no solution. Will keep trying, will even uninstall the CPU cooler and check if it may be an issue with thermal paste, etc. Sad ride so far :/

Capture.JPG

This is Intel Extreme Tuning Tool on Windows, during a stress test, showing Frequency never goes above 0.8Ghz … with 99% utilization, Temps of 32Celsius and it is indicating Thermal Throttling. At 32C!

Seems I got some bad hardware. I will still try to reinstall the CPU cooler and thermal paste. Not sure if the issue is with the CPU or the Mobo. I am more inclined that it is on the mobo …

Any thoughts appreciated

And, end of the (brief but intense) drama.

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 03.32.51.png

The culprit was ... me (of course).

After some research (tks Tomshardware forums!) I decided to check both the thermal paste on my processor and if there was something wrong with the pins on the socket and ... voilà. See those two crooked guys on top left. Took me some real precise effort to hold the cellphone on max zoom in one hand and the sharpest thing I could find on the other to straight them up. All working fine now! One can never be careful enough while laying down the CPU on those pins. Lesson learned.

i5-8600K happily running a mild OC on 4.1Ghz.

IMG_20181120_024751.jpg

And, end of the (brief but intense) drama.

View attachment 366717

The culprit was ... me (of course).

After some research (tks Tomshardware forums!) I decided to check both the thermal paste on my processor and if there was something wrong with the pins on the socket and ... voilà. See those two crooked guys on top left. Took me some real precise effort to hold the cellphone on max zoom in one hand and the sharpest thing I could find on the other to straight them up. All working fine now! One can never be careful enough while laying down the CPU on those pins. Lesson learned.

i5-8600K happily running a mild OC on 4.1Ghz.

View attachment 366718

I just wanted to tell you the same story :) I had about 15 pins bent. It happened during MB shipping. Lucky me, my friend has a USB microscope, so I fixed all pins before first boot.

Last edited:
I’ll do it once I reach home but I have read in other threads that in Mojave for CoffeeLake cpu some type of framebuffer injection is required for using the gpu with the latest whatevergreen kext. What’s your take on that?

My z370n/8700 combo works fine with iGPU and basic framebuffer tweeks in Clover.

Back