Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.
Well that script requires that I am able to boot into Mac OS. However, I am stuck right after selecting an option in Clover. Whether I want to boot into Mac OS or install something new, I should be able to do that. I think it has something to do with my iGPU. I ran into this issue in the past where if I enabled iGPU, I wasn't able to boot, but if I disabled iGPU I was able to boot but with significantly lower performance (I used swapID + disabled iGPU to be able to boot). But now in Mojave, swapID seemed to be causing kernel crashes upon boot (after clover). So I removed it and Mac OS boots, but then I have the freezing issue that some people have had where the mouse moves but nothing else can be interacted with. Apparently iGPU has to be enabled to prevent that. But then I get hit with the cannot allocate runtime error. Hence why I was trying your efi and setup because yea maybe I missed something.

Im going to try to boot into Mac OS with iGPU disabled and see if I can run this debug script.

EDIT: Now im not able to boot into Mac OS at all even with my previous EFI and BIOS settings. Allocate runtime error. This is just so futile ugh

Last edited:
Well that script requires that I am able to boot into Mac OS. However, I am stuck right after selecting an option in Clover. Whether I want to boot into Mac OS or install something new, I should be able to do that. I think it has something to do with my iGPU. I ran into this issue in the past where if I enabled iGPU, I wasn't able to boot, but if I disabled iGPU I was able to boot but with significantly lower performance (I used swapID + disabled iGPU to be able to boot). But now in Mojave, swapID seemed to be causing kernel crashes upon boot (after clover). So I removed it and Mac OS boots, but then I have the freezing issue that some people have had where the mouse moves but nothing else can be interacted with. Apparently iGPU has to be enabled to prevent that. But then I get hit with the cannot allocate runtime error. Hence why I was trying your efi and setup because yea maybe I missed something.

Im going to try to boot into Mac OS with iGPU disabled and see if I can run this debug script.

EDIT: Now im not able to boot into Mac OS at all even with my previous EFI and BIOS settings. Allocate runtime error. This is just so futile ugh

That is why I always have a bootable clone of macOS :)

I think you should make I different thread for your problem.

That is why I always have a bootable clone of macOS :)

I think you should make I different thread for your problem.
Oh wait true thanks for reminding me. I do have a bootable clone. Lmao thanks. Yea I might end up making a separate thread anyways

BCM94352Z b1's "Mac Mini Killer" macOS Mojave Coffee Lake Build:
i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

View attachment 351172
View attachment 351173 View attachment 351174 View attachment 351175 View attachment 351176

Components

Intel Core i7-8700 non K

GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI

G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz

250GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2
I'm using two of this disk: one for macOS and one for Windows 10 (gaming).

250GB SanDisk Ultra II SATA III 2.5-Inch
I'm using this disk for a bootable clone of macOS Mojave.

Noctua NH-L9I
Great low profile cooler that fits my SFF case.

WiFi adapter from MacBook Air (BCM94360CS2)
Before that, I've tried BCM943602BAED and BCM94352Z. Both of this cards require some kexts to work in macOS, and they will not let your BT keyboard work in BIOS and Clover.

Flex 4.5L case and SeaSonic 300W 80+ Gold PSU ($200)
This is the custom made SFF case that comes with moded server PSU.

Comments
It is my first Hackintosh and the first PC build for a last 10 years. So I have a good chance to build a fully compatible system. I spend weeks on research. As a reward, I’ve got a fully working hack running macOS Mojave.

Use cases: Xcode, Sketch, Final Cut, VMs, light gaming in Windows.

BIOS
Actually, I can boot even with default BIOS setting, but I needed some tweaks for normal sleep/wake functionality. I've attached my BIOS, so you can try it if you have z370n motherboard. CPU undervolted to 1.125V. Be aware of it.

Config.plist
I have a few DSDT patches, darkwake=2, tweaks for Power Management and Hardware Acceleration with iGPU. SMBIOS is iMac18,3.

I've managed to figure out about all Config.plist settings and I keep them as minimal as possible. The same with drivers64UEFI folder and all efi's.

Kexts
I moved kexts to /Library/Extensions/, and left in Other only essential kexts that I might be needed during recovery mode. You can find all my kexts from /Library/Extensions/ in the attachment below.

When you copy kexts to /L/E/, don't forget to:

config.plist → System Parameters → Inject Kexts = Detect.
config.plist → RT Variables → CsrActiveConfig = 0x67 (disable SIP)

Don't copy kext with Finder, use terminal:
Code:
sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /Library/Extensions

and then:
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

Otherwise, they will not be injected properly.

View attachment 354376

Graphics
MSI RX560 Aero working great with WhateverGreen.kext. iGPU for hardware acceleration working great too. I applied a few patches in config.plist and turned iGPU on in BIOS.

Sound
Works great with AppleALC.kext and some necessary tweaks in config.plist.

Networking
Ethernet works smoothly with IntelMausiEthernet.kext.

BT and WiFi work without any kexts. All related futures work too: unlock with Apple Watch, Connectivity, Hands-off, Airdrop, iMessege etc. Bluetooth keyboard and touchpad work in Clover, BIOS and during FileVault login.

Here are the BCM94360CS2 WiFi/BT drivers for Windows.

The only problem is that MacBook Air card doesn't fit the standard metal case on the motherboard. So I just removed this case. Also with included internal antennas, I have a weak BT signal. I ordered two external antennas, hope they will fix my problem.

Sleep
Sleep and wake work with darkwake=2. Here is my actual pmset info:

View attachment 353518

USB
I followed Rehabman's directions to create an SSDT to inject only the USB ports on the motherboard. You can find it in ACPI → patched folder. If you use a front panel USB or connect anything to internal USB-port on the motherboard, you should make your own custom SSDT. Mine SSDT is only for back panel USBs.

USB 3.0 and USB-C works perfectly without any port limit patches in Clover.

Clover Boot options
I have 3 internal drives: System, Clone and Windows. Clover boot screen is a bit messy because of that. So I made FileVault compatible Custom boot entries to have only 3 icons. Other boot options are Hide. I can access them with F3 button.

View attachment 354381

You should reconfigure this Custom boot entries all just remove all of them.
View attachment 354378

Also, my system automatically boots to macOS. If you want the same behavior, you should change my disk UUID to yours.
View attachment 354380

Thermals
CPU is decided and undervolted to 1.125V: 34–37°C in idle and 66–69°C in the Blender Benchmark or Prime95 (24°C ambient).
View attachment 351178

Performance
View attachment 351179

What Works
Everything: WiFi, BT, LAN, Audio, iMessage, Wake & Sleep, Universal Clipboard, USB 3, USB-C, DP-audio, Hands-off, AirDrop, Hardware Acceleration, Shutdown, Unlock with Apple Watch, you name it :)

What Doesn't Work
I can mention just PowerNap. I never experimented with it and don't want to do that.

Next Steps
I think to change my MSI RX560 Aero with Saphire RX570 ITX. This is the most powerful AMD card that can fit my case.

EFI Folder — https://d.pr/f/hXbvfR
Kexts you need to copy to /Library/Extensions/https://d.pr/f/p7xviD
BIOS settings (VCore=1.125V) — https://d.pr/f/RF8D87

I added more info and comments to the main post.

It should. Maximum supported length is 175mm. This Vega is 170mm. But, I need more powerful PSU for that. This Vega can easily have short peaks up to 380 Watt when overclocked!

Yes, it seems that 1u psu cannot have more power.

Recently, I am also planning to build a hackintosh with similar specs to yours.
May I know if the replacement of WIFI card has the potential to conflict with others.
Since it seems to need to remove the original metal box and will be higher than a naive wifi card if we use a converter.

Thanks.

Yes, it seems that 1u psu cannot have more power.

Recently, I am also planning to build a hackintosh with similar specs to yours.
May I know if the replacement of WIFI card has the potential to conflict with others.
Since it seems to need to remove the original metal box and will be higher than a naive wifi card if we use a converter.

Thanks.

Yes, I had to remove this case completely. But the card is stable in the slot without additional support. So no problem with that. I can close side panel too.

Later tonight I can make a picture of it, if you want.

Yes, I had to remove this case completely. But the card is stable in the slot without additional support. So no problem with that. I can close side panel too.

Later tonight I can make a picture of it, if you want.
Yes, it will be helpful. Thanks so much.

Yes, it will be helpful. Thanks so much.

So, here is how BCM94360CS2 look like in the real world.

The converter has three breaking points, so you can remove everything that sticks out, and you don't need. I removed two from three, so all construction can fit my SFF case.

It sticks out for 50mm from the motherboard PCB.
IMG_0272.jpeg

I used two pieces of foam to hold it in place.
IMG_0274.jpeg

BCM94360CS2 compare to native Intel adapter.
IMG_0278.jpeg

As I mentioned before, I have a weak Bluetooth signal with antennas included with BCM94360CS2. So I have to make this funny hare-ears to make it work better :)
antennas.gif

You can't use antennas included with the motherboard, because stock WiFi-adapter has different connectors. That's why I ordered another external antenna that is compatible with this card. Hope they will work better :)

Last edited:
Back