Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

I download the full version and install it on my system disk and it keeps all my data.

So run the normal installer process and there's an "upgrade" or "keep my data" option?

Is that off USB stick or downloading a Ventura installer right onto your Monterey drive and running installer from there?

Any tips on changes to the EFI for Sonoma vs Ventura?

I can't get the Sonoma installer to boot using this working OpenCore 0.9.9 EFI I've been using for Ventura

(before deciding on Ventura vs Sonoma, I was now hoping to install Sonoma on my test NVMe)

So run the normal installer process and there's an "upgrade" or "keep my data" option?

Is that off USB stick or downloading a Ventura installer right onto your Monterey drive and running installer from there?

Any tips on changes to the EFI for Sonoma vs Ventura?

I can't get the Sonoma installer to boot using this working OpenCore 0.9.9 EFI I've been using for Ventura

(before deciding on Ventura vs Sonoma, I was now hoping to install Sonoma on my test NVMe)
this thread is in Mojave Desktop Guide

maybe create a new thread in Ventura or Sonoma Desktop Support

this thread is in Mojave Desktop Guide

maybe create a new thread in Ventura or Sonoma Desktop Support
Totally understand that.

Sorry..

I honestly only posted in here because I have this exact build and it seems like everybody has moved on from Mojave and it's turned more into a "support for this build on more current macOS" thread.

Update: Got the Sonoma installer booting by pulling the USB stick out and putting it in a different port when it got stuck. So weird. Maybe that XHCI handoff setting in BIOS?

Anyhow - installing it now on my test drive where I had Ventura just to see if there are any differences on the 4k/120hz/4:4:4/HDR situation

If not, I'll just go up to Ventura on my main drive with a fresh install and manually restore things from my Time Machine SSD.

As an aside, just for shiggles & gits, I did do the "full Ventura installer upgrade" just a bit ago on my main NVMe.... worked fine....but...no sign of 120hz to be found, even after rebooting -- so def will be doing a fresh install to get that juicy 120hz!!

One more update:

I can get HDR 4k 60hz or 4k/120hz in Sonoma -- might even be a way to force 4k/120hz/HDR - not sure...

I'm going to Sonoma:

To get the most out of my new OLED display, I need to be on the latest macOS as clearly Apple is working on this.

BT was working fine still ... but no WiFi, as I knew. Not an immediate issue for me as I'm usually wired ethernet anyhow, and I don't really use Continuity or AirDrop honestly... so I'll go to Sonoma and figure that part out. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer to have WiFi -- but for now I'd prefer to have my OLED display working at top spec! Once you get the taste of high refresh rates, it's hard to go back

Last edited:
Back