Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
one clarification, in for config the ACPI patch which is required for booting for BIOS >10 is disabled, why?

Oh it's you again! Surprise. :rolleyes:

1. The disabled ACPI patch has nothing to do with boot ability when on BIOS >10.
2. The disabled patch is EC0 to EC
3. Use a search engine of your choice, learn why it is disabled, then come back.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8086k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Updated to 0.6.0 + Kexts + Open Canopy GUI. Tested on Catalina 10.15.6 (19G73) with F13 BIOS and SMBIOS 19,1. IGPU + GPU (rx 580 8gb).
Removed no longer needed ACPI patches. Thanks, @slippyr4.
Guys, I upload a new EFI, for testing purposes on Big Sur. I'm already testing on another hard drive (20A5343j). You probably will need a reset on nvram to boot big Sur after the install in case you upgrade over Catalina. I strongly recommend that you test the Big Sur on another hard drive.

Almost everything works, except DRM content.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
However, don't forget to set allownvramreset=yes, you will need a reset on nvram to boot big Sur after the install in case you upgrade over Catalina.

That’s amazing news @rrviega :clap:
Where does allownvramreset=yes needs to be added exactly in config.plist?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8086k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
That’s amazing news @rrviega :clap:
Where does allownvramreset=yes needs to be added exactly in config.plist?
Config.plist>Misc>Security>AllowNvramReset YES. Btw, I uploaded a better EFI, for testing purposes. I spent the whole afternoon installing and reinstalling Big Sur. A newly posted compilation is the one I'm using now. After installation you can remove all Boot-Args. This is it.

Attachments

• Captura de Tela 2020-08-07 às 19.47.11.png
    Captura de Tela 2020-08-07 às 19.47.11.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Guys, I upload a new EFI, for testing purposes on Big Sur. I'm already testing on another hard drive (20A5343j). You probably will need a reset on nvram to boot big Sur after the install in case you upgrade over Catalina. I strongly recommend that you test the Big Sur on another hard drive.

Almost everything works, except DRM content.
Amazing job, thank you very much for sharing @rrviega. I have been postponing the migration to OpenCore for quite a long time, but once Big Sur is officially released I will definitely do a clean install on my hackintosh using OC.

Just one thing: would you consider creating a new topic with your guide to installing Big Sur with OC? That would be extremely helpful and probably a very popular topic among the Z370N owners, since this topic seems to be abandoned by the OP.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@inarush
@rrviega

I like the idea of keeping everything in this thread since there’s a lot of useful informations about Mojave, Catalina and now Big Sur apparently.

However, these informations are buried inside 83 and ongoing pages so I thought about having an index post on the first page would be a nice thing.

Sure, this index post would need continuous maintenance and we would have to ask one of the moderators whether it’s possible to insert a index or exchange a post like #2 composed by @Stork (no offense here).

What do you think guys?

Stork

Admin
Staff member
Motherboard
Asus ProArt Z490 Creator
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Sure, this index post would need continuous maintenance and we would have to ask one of the moderators whether it’s possible to insert a index or exchange a post like #2 composed by @Stork (no offense here).
The index should go in the OP. However, @b166ar would have to maintain it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hm, I see. Bummer.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@inarush
@rrviega

I like the idea of keeping everything in this thread since there’s a lot of useful informations about Mojave, Catalina and now Big Sur apparently.

However, these informations are buried inside 83 and ongoing pages so I thought about having an index post on the first page would be a nice thing.

What do you think guys?
Indeed there is a lot of useful information here. However, most of it is about configuring Clover. It feels like Clover will be inevitably replaced by OpenCore, it's just a matter of time. Therefore, I think most of the discussion in this topic might not be as useful anymore. Besides, like you mentioned, this topic became so dense that it's not very easy to find information here.

This is why I think a new thread, dedicated to discussing OpenCore on this hardware configuration, would add so much value to this community.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Well, I don’t see Clover being replaced by OC - it might seem as a lot of people are hype-switching atm which is true due to absent support of Big Sur but this is going to change soon. Anyways: as mentioned by stork this thread isn’t going to get any index post.

Last edited: