Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8086k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
I wasn‘t sure about the XhciPortLimit value just followed Dortonia‘s suggestions but if you say it‘s okay :)
You are right. In my last release I changed the value to NO. I forgot. Also worked fine with YES value. haha.

anyway, you can test your build on Sanity Checker - OC

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
No, Rammon. Just figured things inside. Sorry for the last response.
But, If you don't boot with that build the problem is the usbports or SSDT-SBUS-MCHC! Almost identical with mine.
I‘m not sure if I understand that correctly.

My USB mapping is different from yours (I use Front USB for instance), so some USB ports might be deactivated.
Is this what you‘re saying?

Also, is the unit unbootable with SSDT-SBUS-MCHC?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8086k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
I‘m not sure if I understand that correctly. My USB mapping is different from yours (I use Front USB for instance), so some USB ports might be deactivated. Is this what you‘re saying?
Yes, don't use my configuration if it differs from your usb schema (my usbports.kext). Instead, just replace the USB ports with usbinjectall.kext + and your SSDT-UIAC and SSDT-EC-USBX files in ACPI. Or create your own usbports.kext.

With SSDT-SBUS-MCHC idk, because I never needed to use it. Can you explain to me why it is needed? I really don't know.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Yes, don't use my configuration if it differs from your usb schema (my usbports.kext). Instead, just create your own usbports.kext.

With SSDT-SBUS-MCHC idk, because I never needed to use it. Can you explain to me why it is needed? I really don't know.
Concerning SSDT-SBUS-MCHC take a look here. It‘s not exactly needed but I don‘t think it would do any harm when using it.

Concerning USB mapping we only had a misunderstanding. :)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8086k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
Concerning SSDT-SBUS-MCHC take a look here. It‘s not exactly needed but I don‘t think it would do any harm when using it.

Concerning USB mapping we only had a misunderstanding. :)
Nice and should not affect startup. I hope it works well for you. Again, Thanks.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank YOU! :)

Edit:

There‘s one thing I might add to the config regarding device properties injection via Hackintool tommorrow.

Edit #2:

Adding your own device properties to the config.plist can easily be done via Hackintool.
Please make a copy of your config.plist located in EFI/OC before you start editing just in case something goes wrong.

Step 1

Open Hackintool and head over to the PCIe section.
You should see all your device properties listed.

Get device properties via Hackintool.png

Now, just hit the export button to get this list dumped to your desktop.

Hackintool will export these files:
  • pcidevices.dsl
  • pcidevices.json
  • pcidevices.plist
  • pcidevices.txt
What we're looking after is pcidevices.plist.

Step 2

Just open it up with your favourite plist editor (PlistEdit Pro in my case)
You should see all your devices properties listed that have been dumped with Hackintool before.
Device properties from plist dump.png

Please note: what you might want to do at this point is rename some of the device's model identifiers,
like the name of your dGPU.

For further information please see post #782.
This is absolutely optional.

In the config I posted here, I renamed the dGPU, its Audio Controller and the Non-Volatile memory controller according to the NVMe I'm using.
Again, it's up to you and optional.

Leave pcidevices.plist open – we'll need it in a second.

Step 3

Now open up your config.plist and head over to DeviceProperties->Add section.
Select all entries and remove them.
Delete device properties from config.plist.png

Step 4

Select all entries from your pcidevices.plist and copy them over to your config.plist.

This is how the edited config.plist looks like:
Device properties imported to config-plist.png

Save your config.plist and replace it with the one in EFI/OC.

Done.

After rebooting you should see the PCI section of your System Information populated
with the entries you pasted into your config.plist.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Anyone willing to write/share a small guide on how to use OpenCore with the Z370N motherboard? It looks like the OP @b166ar has abandoned this thread...

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8086k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
Android
Edit #2:

Adding your own device properties to the config.plist can easily be done via Hackintool.
Please make a copy of your config.plist located in EFI/OC before you start editing just in case something goes wrong.

After rebooting you should see the PCI section of your System Information populated
with the entries you pasted into your config.plist.
I did just that with the devices, but I deleted some entries that I thought were unnecessary. Btw, nice guide.

Anyone willing to write/share a small guide on how to use OpenCore with the Z370N motherboard? It looks like the OP @b166ar has abandoned this thread...
A few pages ago I wrote a short guide to the EFI I use. I believe it will even serve in the High Sierra. You will only need a Plist Editor and your Serial and MAC Address. Since my EFI is based entirely on the Dortania Guide, you only need to follow step 8 of the attached <link>. Your build is almost identical to mine, you are ready to go. If you need help I'm here.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
I did just that with the devices, but I deleted some entries that I thought were unnecessary. Btw, nice guide.
Sure thing, always happy to help. :)
And yes, I guess that eight or something PCI bridges could be removed.

As rrviega already mentioned please take a look at the last five pages.
Furthermore, Dortania's OpenCore Desktop Guide is a fantastic resource, easy to understand and regularly maintained.
It might be a little intimidating at first but the takeaway is huge! :thumbup:

Anyway, if you have specific questions I'd be happy to assist.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Just two more things before I start investing on OpenCore, @rrviega and @rramon:

1. I have macOS installed on the front M.2 slot and Windows 10 on the rear M.2 slot. Is OC able to handle this configuration? Especially during macOS updates, is OC able to see the correct partitions? This is what's bothering me the most in Clover: the failure to detect and choose the right disk partition during system upgrades that recently has lead to unbootable system.

2. The latest two or three BIOS versions require a special ACPI fix under Clover Configurator to prevent the system from crashing. I am talking about this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-boot-hangs-after-bios-update-acpi-patch.275091. Will I be able to perform this fix using OC as well?