Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
GA-Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
GTX 1060
Good news guys! I've managed to boot with F12 bios. It is easier than you think. Here is a simple step by step guide. 1. Make a boot USB flash drive with your current EFI folder. 2. Download bootx64.efi and copy it to EFI/Boot/. This is some kind of alternative bootloader that starts with the command line. Here we will modify hidden BIOS settings. 3. Update BIOS to F12 (only F12!) 4. Reboot and hold F12 to boot from your USB Flash drive. Now you should see this command line. 5. Now enter
Code:
setup_var 0x5A4 0x0
Code:
setup_var 0x507 0x1
Reboot from your primary drive. You Hack should boot normally. But don't forget to set up your BIOS settings. :!: Looks like we will need to do this every time after trigger «Reset to default settings» option in BIOS. P.S. If you are interested in the details: 0x5A4 is CFG Lock option in BIOS 0x507 is System Time and Alarm Source option This codes are not static and can be changed in future updates. You can use this guide to find this code for future versions of BIOS.

Motherboard
GA-Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
GTX 1060
Good news guys! I've managed to boot with F12 bios. It is easier than you think. Here is a simple step by step guide.

1. Make a boot USB flash drive with your current EFI folder.
2. Download bootx64.efi and copy it to EFI/Boot/.
This is some kind of alternative bootloader that starts with the command line. Here we will modify hidden BIOS settings.

3. Update BIOS to F12 (only F12!)
4. Reboot and hold F12 to boot from your USB Flash drive. Now you should see this command line.
5. Now enter
Code:
setup_var 0x5A4 0x0
Code:
setup_var 0x507 0x1

Reboot from your primary drive. You Hack should boot normally. But don't forget to set up your BIOS settings.

:!: Looks like we will need to do this every time after trigger «Reset to default settings» option in BIOS.

P.S. If you are interested in the details:

0x5A4 is CFG Lock option in BIOS
0x507 is System Time and Alarm Source option

This codes are not static and can be changed in future updates. You can use this guide to find this code for future versions of BIOS.
Thanks for your hard wokes. I followed your steps but the command line return "offset is out of the range",do you know what's wrong with this

Attachments

• 微信图片_20191230134527.jpg
    微信图片_20191230134527.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 95
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
JohnSu, Hi!

I became interested and I updated the BIOS to F12. I did everything according to the instructions. My screen also says: (offset is out of the range).

I was able to boot from F12.

Works good!

Attachments

• IMG_1312.jpeg
    IMG_1312.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z370N wifi
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
HD 630 - RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I updated my Hackintosh BIOS from F5 to F13 using that guide, and everything went fine. Thanks for pointing out that thread!
Welcome! Just some curiosity, except for supporting 9th gen. processors what’s new? I have not updated my bios from v10

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Welcome! Just some curiosity, except for supporting 9th gen. processors what’s new? I have not updated my bios from v10
Here's the full list of features (taken from https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370N-WIFI-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios):

F11
  1. Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
  2. Update CPU microcode
  3. Update Intel IRST version
  4. Improved system performance and stability

F12
  1. Update iRST to improve Optane compatibility with future 9th Gen CPU
  2. * Please update the lastest iRST driver version

F13
  1. Update CPU Microcode to address a potential security vulnerability in CPUs, see more: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/security-center/advisory/intel-sa-00233.html
  2. Support JEDEC DDR4 native 3200MHz memory

F14a (BETA - not recommended)
  1. Workaround beta BIOS to improve Kingston DDR4-2666 stability concern on some specific memory chip suppliers
  2. Add NTFS format support for Q-Flash™

It looks like F13 provides a security fix that is worth having in one's system.

Motherboard
GA-Z370N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
GTX 1060
JohnSu, Hi!

I became interested and I updated the BIOS to F12. I did everything according to the instructions. My screen also says: (offset is out of the range).

I was able to boot from F12.

Works good!
It is mean CFG lock is working?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
It is mean CFG lock is working?

I do not know what CFG is...

1. I did everything according to the instructions from b166ar with the substitution of bootx64.efi. I got the same screen as yours. Mac os 10.4.6 booted with an updated BIOS to version F12. That means this method works for me.

2. See posts #738 and #739. I changes to the ACPI PATCH as recommended in these posts. Updated to F13 and booted successfully on Mac OS. I think this is the best solution.

Be sure to backup the system!

P.S.
BIOS F10 for Z370N WIFI worked unstably for me. Often there was a dual-start system. Maybe this problem is observed only with me and this is due to the DDR4 (Balistic Sport 2666 13-13-13-38) memory. After upgrading to F13, my system starts without problems.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

since I set up my unit back in July 2019 (must have been 10.14.5), I pretty much just left it running without touching the config.plist and not bothering at all thanks to @b166ar's work.

Please note: I'm still on 10.14.6 and most probably won't touch that pile of crapftsmanship called Catalina until its .5 release.

I finally had some free time to polish the config.plist and want to share it with you. Credits go to @CaseySJ for his amazing Designare build thread and his patience for helping me out as I've been out of hackintoshing for quite some time.

Relevant unit specs:
  • SMBIOS 19,1
  • As of writing this post: Clover r5103, LILU 1.4.1, WEG 1.3.6, AppleALC 1.4.5
  • F10 BIOS
  • i7 8700 (running headless with IGPU UHD630 turned on in BIOS)
  • Sapphire RX 570 Nitro+ 8G (this is where my only display is connected through DP)
  • Broadcom 94360CS2 WiFi / BT Card (natively supported)

Things that have been done:
  • "Unfake" IGPU UHD630 injection since it's natively supported now
  • Audio Layout 7 injection in Devices -> Properties section
  • Customize device names and properties to show up in System Information -> PCI (not needed/purely cosmetic)
  • Enable display brightness control via F1/F2 keys (optional)

Native IGPU Injection

Before​
IGPU Injection before.png

After​
IGPU Injection after.png

The IGPU is fully supported since 10.14.4 so we don't need a fake ID, therefore we set "IntelGFX" to 0x0.

Notice that ig-platform-id has changed from 0300923E to 0300983E and device-id, framebuffer-patch-enable and framebuffer-unifiedmem aren‘t needed anymore – just delete those entries.

We add the following properties to our IGPU:

key: AAPL,slot-name
value: Internal
value type: STRING

key: device_type
value: Internal Graphics Processor

key: hda-gfx
value: onboard-2

key: model
value: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Desktop)

Finally, make sure that your Graphics section inside Clover Configurator is blank/unchecked (no populated fields).
IGPU Injection (Graphics Section).png

For reference, you can take a look here or set your headless platform ID to 0x3E980003 via hackintool according to this mini guide. If you let hackintool do the job, it will insert the code into your config.plist automatically.

Audio Layout 7 injection

Before​
Audio Injection before.png

After​
Audio Injection after.png

Preface
As my unit is running headless and the display is only connected to my discrete GPU, only changes to audio injection were made. Please note: If you plan to enable onboard HDMI port as well please take a look at here and scroll down to "Injecting Audio and Enabling On-Board HDMI", reveal the 2nd spoiler and follow the instructions.

Let's start and get this done.
Notice how layout ID 7 was injected before (Devices -> Audio -> Inject).
We now change the Audio -> Inject value from 7 to No.
We continue to the Properties section and add the device PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3).

We add the following properties to our audio device:

key: AAPL,slot-name
value: Built In

key: device_type
value: Audio Controller

key: layout-id
value: 07000000
value type: DATA

key: model
value: Realtek ALC1220-VB

If you want you can add the code for layout ID 7 directly into your config.plist just after <key>properties</key>.

XML:
<key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
                        // 1. Copy the lines shown below
                        // 2. Paste them into your config.plist under <key>Properties</key>

<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Built In</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Audio Controller</string>
                <key>layout-id</key>
                <data>
                BwAAAA==
                </data>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Realtek ALC1220-VB</string>
            </dict>

Customize device names and properties

Before​
PCI Section before.png

After​
PCI Section after.png

As stated in the beginning, this is purely cosmetic and not necessarily needed but since we're at it why not polish our config a little. Notice how System Information -> PCI is almost empty and none of our devices are showing up except the UHD630.

Now, if you want to change this I suggest you take a look at @CaseySJ's Mini guide on how to customize device names and properties – it's very understandable and easily done. I'm attaching my config.plist for reference but you should create your own custom entries according to the hardware you chose for your build and its PCI addresses.

Custom device names (only for reference)​
Custom device names and properties.png

Enable display brightness control via F1/F2 keys
If you want to control your display brightness with your apple keyboard or a number of third-party keyboards, go here and download the app NativeDisplayBrightness.

Unzip the file, move the app to your applications folder and run it.

Now follow these steps:

NativeDisplayBrightness_1 .png

NativeDisplayBrightness_2.png

NativeDisplayBrightness_3.png

NativeDisplayBrightness_4.png

Please note: the app will be added to your login items, see System Preferences -> Users & Groups.
This makes total sense since you might want to control your display brightness everytime you turn on your unit.

Before we reboot, we need to make some changes to our config.plist.
So mount your EFI folder, open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and head over to the Kernel and Kext Patches section.

We add the following entries:

Patch 1
  • Name: com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard
  • Find: 30783030 30373030 33622C30 78666630 31303032 30
  • Replace: 30783030 30373030 33622C30 78303030 37303033 62
  • Comment: Enable dim keys by Wern
  • MatchOS: empty
  • Disabled: disable checkbox
  • InfoPlistPatch: enable checkbox (scroll to the right if you don't see this checkbox)
Patch 2
  • Name: com.apple.driver.AppleHIDKeyboard
  • Find: 30783030 30373030 33612C30 78666630 31303032 31
  • Replace: 30783030 30373030 33612C30 78303030 37303033 61
  • Comment: Enable dim keys by Wern
  • MatchOS: empty
  • Disabled: disable checkbox
  • InfoPlistPatch: enable checkbox (scroll to the right if you don't see this checkbox)

Save your config.plist and reboot.

Patches added in Kernel and Kext Patches sections
F1:F2 Display brightness controll KextsToPatch.png

That's it for now, hope you can use some of this stuff!
If something is missing, unnecessary or wrong just let me know.

If I find some more time, I'll try to set up a config.plist for OpenCore. I took a look at @lanzaozijun's config here and it looks pretty good. Guess I'll be using OpenCoreconfigurator which has been uploaded here .

Attachments

• config-rramon.plist
    9.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited: