- Dec 21, 2016
b1's "Mac Mini Killer" macOS Mojave Coffee Lake Build:View attachment 368012
i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM
View attachment 351173 View attachment 351174 View attachment 351175 View attachment 351176
- Intel Core i7-8700 non K;
- GIGABYTE Z370N WIFI;
- G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200MHz;
- 250GB Samsung 970 EVO M.2;
- Noctua NH-L9I Cooler;
- WiFi adapter from MacBook Air (BCM94360CS2);
- Flex 4.5L case and SeaSonic 300W 80+ Gold PSU.
This is my current Geekbench score with overclocked memory to 3600 MHz.
View attachment 368016
Everything: WiFi, BT, LAN, Audio, iMessage, Wake & Sleep, Universal Clipboard, USB 3, USB-C, DP-audio, Hands-off, AirDrop, Hardware Acceleration, Shutdown, Unlock with Apple Watch, you name it.
What Doesn't Work
- PowerNap is turned off, so no apps update during sleep. Maybe it works, I just not tested it.
- If I enable XMP profile in BIOS for automatic RAM overclock or overclock RAM manually, I have a warning «Disk not ejected properly». after waking from sleep. You need to reconnect external drives to make it work again. It can be critical for people who use external drives on a daily basis. There is three solution for that:
- Prevent sleep with free Amphetamine app. I like it because it let monitor fall asleep and/or enable screensaver. It’s crucial if you want your Hackintosh to lock automatically.
- Disable XMP. Fixes the problem entirely, but harms general performance.
- Use Jettison app that unmount drives before sleep. I don’t test it personally.
How to ask for help
If you have troubles during migrating to my EFI and settings, please attach «problem reporting» files to your post. The easiest way is to install and run this script.
Download EFI, kexts and detailed instructions on Github
I remember you saying that you would eventually want to upgrade to a different graphics card, that had lower power consumption for your build, which one were you considering ?