Contribute
Register

[Success] b1's "Mac Mini Killer" with macOS Mojave: i7-8700 | Gigabyte Z370N | RX560 | 16GB RAM

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@b166ar thank you for this guide. It has been very helpful.

Can you confirm if you are able to hear audio from movie clips you are about to import into fcpx? I have footage recorded with my iPhone and when I open the import screen or when I scrub already imported footage (before dragging to the timeline), I cannot hear any audio on the footage. When I drag it down to the project timeline, I can hear the audio fine.

My thinking was it has something to do with how fcpx uses the dgpu and igpu (and the various settings we need to set up in a hackintosh), so I wanted to check if your build acted the same.

I can confirm it works properly on a real Mac.

Thanks
Jordy

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370N
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Can you confirm if you are able to hear audio from movie clips you are about to import into fcpx?

Yep, I have sound during Import, in Project section and in Timeline.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yep, I have sound during Import, in Project section and in Timeline.
Ok then...guess I’m back to the drawing board with troubleshooting.

You mentioned in a previous post to use the intel power tool to verify if the igpu is being used. I did this but honestly, I could not totally understand what I was seeing. In the first box, the core was being hit while the dram was next to nothing. The second box showed core being used while the gpu was little to none. Is that the expected output if I have dgpu and igpu setup correctly?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370N
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok then...guess I’m back to the drawing board with troubleshooting.

You mentioned in a previous post to use the intel power tool to verify if the igpu is being used. I did this but honestly, I could not totally understand what I was seeing. In the first box, the core was being hit while the dram was next to nothing. The second box showed core being used while the gpu was little to none. Is that the expected output if I have dgpu and igpu setup correctly?

You need to check the Frequency section. FGX line should be active while playing video with QuickTime. And CPU Utilization should be minimum.

If iGPU isn't working, it will be opposite: flat FGX and high Utilization.

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11-1.47.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 11.54.30 PM.png

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
You need to check the Frequency section. FGX line should be active while playing video with QuickTime. And CPU Utilization should be minimum.

View attachment 360672

View attachment 360677
Thank you for that explination. I can confirm my igpu is active and running as expected.

If you think of anything that might be causing my audio issue in fcpx, it would be greatly appreciated. My setup is similar to yours, but I have also tried using your exact setup from your latest github files...still having the same issue.

My setup is as follows:

MB: Gigabyte Z270
GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 580
CPU: i7 7700k
Bios: dgpu is primary, igpu is enabled, dvmt memory is 128 (all other bios settings are standard hackintosh)
EFI: same as you, located in L/E/...except fakeSMC in Clover/kext/other
Config.plist: mine is attached and is a little different from yours...but as I said, I did try your exact .plist with same results
Audio: I'm using a digidesign digi003 audio interface which uses firewire. no issues with sound that I have found (other than scrubbing clips in fcpx before dragging them to timeline)

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.5 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370N WiFi
CPU
i5-8400
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

View attachment 360672

View attachment 360677

I confirm that the iGPU frequency goes up and down as I play/stop the playback of a given HD video. That's cool to know that the iGPU is working, but I also find it a little bit confusing because I thought video acceleration would be provided by the dedicated card. I guess I'm just trying to understand the role of the iGPU when there is a dedicated card also installed on the system.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270XP-SLI
CPU
i7 7700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

Attachments

• EssentialsList-2018-10-26 17.04.01.zip
    139.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370N
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
RX 560
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I confirm that the iGPU frequency goes up and down as I play/stop the playback of a given HD video. That's cool to know that the iGPU is working, but I also find it a little bit confusing because I thought video acceleration would be provided by the dedicated card. I guess I'm just trying to understand the role of the iGPU when there is a dedicated card also installed on the system.

Basicly when you have eGPU macOS uses iGPU only for video encoding.

This article should help you to understand the role of iGPU https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video