Motherboard
ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
CPU
Dual E5-2680 v1
Graphics
GTX660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This build will allow you to keep SpeedStep and Turbo activated in the BIOS. And gives three turbo states 1200 2100 2400 which is the most the E5-2620 v2 will provide. Everything is pretty much Vanilla other than the USB3 which requires the CalDigit kexts. This hardware setup supports both Unibeast and Clover, but this write up will only cover Clover Boot-loader.

Purpose of build: Stable graphics platform for 2D/3D design work and Rendering.

Hardware
  • ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS.
  • 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 4x standalone 8Gb sticks.
  • Segate 500Gb SATA6 Install HDD plus Seagate 1Tb Storage SATA6 HDD.
  • 24x ATAPI Internal SATA DVD/RW Lite-On iHAS124 E.
  • 2 x E5-2620 v2 (6c 12t @ 2.1Ghz).
  • 1 x Cambridge Silicon Radio USB Bluetooth (Mounted on internal USB on the Motherboard).
  • 16TB ICY Box Connected via e-SATA.
  • C-Media USB Audio Device.
  • Logitec HD Pro C920 Webcam.
  • 2 x Onboard Intel 82574L GBit LAN.
  • GTX 660Ti Nvidia Graphics card DDR5 2Gb VRAM PCIe x16.
  • Wacom Intuos5 Pro USB/Wi-Fi Graphics Tablet.

Problems still to fix:
  • Onboard ALC898 7.1 Audio Controller.
  • Generic AHCI Controller (No Marvell SATA recognition).
  • TP-LinkWDN4800 Wireless Network.

This build will work 10.10.2 but is pretty much made fully defunct by the March 2015 security update.
This build is on hold until the release of 10.10.3 - My apologies for the waiting time for anybody that may be following.

For now there is an excellent build thread for this motherboard here ...
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...e-w8-ds-2x-xeon-e5-2660-gtx-590-3gb-64gb.html
This will get you all the way to Mavericks 10.9.5 with Default BIOS settings with vt-d disabled and on legacy boot CSM settings

Did you ever get your machine up and running with 10.10.3?
If so please lend a hand :)
i have the same parts except for GTX 780 Ti GPU

Not yet, but it's working fine on mavericks with no problems. I have some beta software testing to do over the next few weeks, once that's done I will be trying Yosemite again using tips from the thread mentioned in my OP.

The Wireless and ICY Box would not get recognised and the sound wouldn't work either, but a usb audio device soon fixes that :)

If you can wait for me to start the build again, then it would be good to have some company along the way. If not then follow the link from my first post and you can get it up and running.

Martin

Not yet, but it's working fine on mavericks with no problems. I have some beta software testing to do over the next few weeks, once that's done I will be trying Yosemite again using tips from the thread mentioned in my OP.

The Wireless and ICY Box would not get recognised and the sound wouldn't work either, but a usb audio device soon fixes that :)

If you can wait for me to start the build again, then it would be good to have some company along the way. If not then follow the link from my first post and you can get it up and running.

Martin

Hello!

Any luck with Yosemite/El Capitan? I just got this board with dual E5-2690s.

Yes it works well here with all versions of El-Capitan :)
Needs clover as the boot loader with very few kexts ... You will probably need these files too ... SSDT-1 is only for nvidia graphics cards that won't get past the black boot screen

Martin

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    52.5 KB · Views: 468
  • SSDT-1.aml
    186 bytes · Views: 466
  • ssdt.aml
    5 KB · Views: 466
Yes it works well here with all versions of El-Capitan :)
Needs clover as the boot loader with very few kexts ... You will probably need these files too ... SSDT-1 is only for nvidia graphics cards that won't get past the black boot screen

Martin

Hello TpwUK,
Could you help me with my problem?
http://tonymacx86.com/threads/blackscreen-with-gtx950-and-webdriver-in-10-11-6.199667/
i had also found that recently videlam is also working on this build,and he found that he can only boot with the gpu in pci plot 5.

but a servious problem:when i put the card in plot 5, not even blackscreen after osx boot, i get no output from poweron...Totally black. i can only use plot 1 to 3. Why? Have you some idea about this?
Thanks!

Hello TpwUK,
Could you help me with my problem?
http://tonymacx86.com/threads/blackscreen-with-gtx950-and-webdriver-in-10-11-6.199667/
i had also found that recently videlam is also working on this build,and he found that he can only boot with the gpu in pci plot 5.

but a servious problem:when i put the card in plot 5, not even blackscreen after osx boot, i get no output from poweron...Totally black. i can only use plot 1 to 3. Why? Have you some idea about this?
Thanks!

Are you using just 1 Xeon E5-2670, if so this would explain ports 1-3 only working. If you do have dual Xeons then it's possible one of the CPU's is faulty.

I also noticed on your above thread that you use MacPro 5,1 - This is highly unlikely to work, I tried 3,1 and 5,1 both complained about no SandyBridge Support with v1 CPU's and both would not play with v2 IvyBridge CPU's. The only Mac Pro that supports the LGA2011 socket is the Mac Pro 6,1.

So if you have V1 CPU's then you are on a hiding to nothing to be honest. If you have V2 CPU's then you are good to run with my DSDT and SSDT-1 with clover boot and using a SMBios for Mac Pro 6,1

The black screen on boot should be fixed with my SSDT-1 posted above, but again this was only tested with Dual CPU's and Graphics card in PCIe slot 5

Martin

Are you using just 1 Xeon E5-2670, if so this would explain ports 1-3 only working. If you do have dual Xeons then it's possible one of the CPU's is faulty.

I also noticed on your above thread that you use MacPro 5,1 - This is highly unlikely to work, I tried 3,1 and 5,1 both complained about no SandyBridge Support with v1 CPU's and both would not play with v2 IvyBridge CPU's. The only Mac Pro that supports the LGA2011 socket is the Mac Pro 6,1.

So if you have V1 CPU's then you are on a hiding to nothing to be honest. If you have V2 CPU's then you are good to run with my DSDT and SSDT-1 with clover boot and using a SMBios for Mac Pro 6,1

The black screen on boot should be fixed with my SSDT-1 posted above, but again this was only tested with Dual CPU's and Graphics card in PCIe slot 5

Martin
Many thanks to your reply.
Yes, because of my worry about the influence of dual cpus i test under one cpu.
Now i know why i get no output with pci slot 5.thanks!
i will try to edit the smbios and put the cpu2,but i can do it only tomorrow,now i must go to sleep,sorry.
i am using the v1 cpus,so can i use your ssdt and dsdt directly?Or should i create it myself?
Really appreciate it for your help!

Last edited:
I gave up with V1 cpu's as they are SandyBridge, the only macs i could find that supported SB CPU's were iMacs and they don't come with Dual CPU's. I would be very surprised if my SSDT would work. SSDT-1 should be fine as should the DSDT but no guarantees, sorry.

To be honest I would ditch the V1 CPU's or build two single CPU desktops and have two iMac 13,1's or 12,1 if i remember rightly.

Martin

I gave up with V1 cpu's as they are SandyBridge, the only macs i could find that supported SB CPU's were iMacs and they don't come with Dual CPU's. I would be very surprised if my SSDT would work. SSDT-1 should be fine as should the DSDT but no guarantees, sorry.

To be honest I would ditch the V1 CPU's or build two single CPU desktops and have two iMac 13,1's or 12,1 if i remember rightly.

Martin
Finally the gpu works.Thanks!
Now i'm trying to solve the memory problem.
the osx don't recognzie the memory for cpu2,it shows only 4 slots.
when i use 8g *2,the memory data in system monitor seems error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back