Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Asus Z370 Prime P + i7 8700 + Samsung 1TB 960 EVO NVMe + Nvidia GTX 1050

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a couple weeks in, and I'm seeing a problem with memory usage and Kernel Task. The system isn't using high CPU% but eating 20gb of RAM. Which is causing some audio streaming and performance issues. I've looked elsewhere for answers and have not found any resolution for the problems. @Middleman I'm basically using the EFI you posted above, is that still valid, or have you updated it for better performance.
thanks!

Thank you for the guide!
I will be building a similar system with same MB and CPU but with a sapphire pulse rx 580 8GB. I'm curious if there is any difference with the setup I should do with it. Thank in advance.
You will likely need to make adjustments for the AMD card, so you will need to ignore the parts that I've specified for my Nvidia card such as installation of the GEForce and CUDA drivers. You will need to also look for an AMD GPU High Sierra install guide which may show you what ACPI and graphics settings you need to make in Clover. As it goes High Sierra has native support for AMD cards so the steps should be less than my guide.

I'm a couple weeks in, and I'm seeing a problem with memory usage and Kernel Task. The system isn't using high CPU% but eating 20gb of RAM. Which is causing some audio streaming and performance issues. I've looked elsewhere for answers and have not found any resolution for the problems. @Middleman I'm basically using the EFI you posted above, is that still valid, or have you updated it for better performance.
thanks!

Colorplates, you could try and see if enabling 'Above 4G Decoding' in the BIOS helps with this. You should equip the system with at least 16GB of RAM and make sure it is in pairs of either 4, 8 or 16GB. Don't bother with using uneven numbers of total RAM such as 12GB, 20GB as that could cause the instability. Afaik the EFI is still valid.

SOLVED> So weirdly enough, I only changed one thing and it seems to have fixed the problem. I switched my screensaver from the color spider spaghetti to pictures, and presto, no ram overload. The reasoning behind this was that the system became sluggish after putting monitor to sleep. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm guessing this isn't the optimal fix, but system seems stable as of now.

Middleman: great guide, thanks for sharing!

I have a Prime Z370-A motherboard in a fresh machine with blank drives, including a 500 GB Samsung NVMe drive, so you are my hope to get this done properly...

[Edit] I got past the rebooting circles by swapping the memory banks to A1 and B1 instead of the ASUS recommended A2 and B2 slots. (...what??...)

Now I am stuck at a repeating
AppleUSBHostResources@: AppleUSBHostResources::allocateDownstreamBusCurrentGated: assuming successful wakeUnits 100 sleepUnits 0

Just before I have another line saying that
AppleUSBXHCI::createPorts: ports limit reached. Not creating the remaining 11 ports

Any suggestions what to do?

Last edited:
Hi Middleman thanks for the guide. I used it to set up the Prime A motherboard which required only minor alterations to your prescription. Cheers
@bitf, can you please clarify those minor alterations? Are you referring to the Asus z370-A mobo?

Hi middle man thanks for the great help.
I have two questions apologies if these are obvious as is my first time building.
After replacing the EFI files that you provided got my sound to work and usb ports but no luck with the video.
Whenever I try to sort it via multibeast or clover configurator cant make it work and my usb 30 stop working.
First question is if I am using an normal samsung evo ssd how necessary is tho instal windows as well?
If I had the same specs would I be able to make everything work just by using your EFI files??
I have the same specs except the Nvidia card and the SSD :
Asus z370p Prime
i7 8700k
16gb 3000MHZ

Also my processor and ram seem to appear something else.
Any help would be extremely appreciated

Major issue has surfaced: I have updated the BIOS to v 1406, because I thought maybe that's getting in the way of the Thunderbolt card working in Mac (it is fully functional under Windows, but what's not??).
So after restoring the BIOS settings as per guide now I cannot boot anymore into Mac (still can into Windows). I run into an error probably related to the NVidia driver, despite I have stopped it from running by using the nv_disable=1 boot argument: I get the dreaded "busy timeout[0], (60s): 'AppleACPICPU'" message and the system stalls. :banghead:

What should I do now?

I was thinking trying to run again from USB, but since today I cannot download the latest 10.13.6 installer, because Apple has just moved to Mojave and I have used the USB for file transfer and whatnot since I had a stable system for more than a week by now. :banghead::banghead:

[EDIT] Second crisis is overcome by looking for a clean install of High Sierra. After following the breadcrumbs, I have landed on the right page of the full installer on this page, at nr 4:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

Last edited:
I read through your guide as the system is quite similar. I just recently upgraded to a Asus Prime Z370-P with a i7-8700. I have previously managed to install hackintosh, but on my old system.

I can't seem through to the installer, after selecting USB drive in Clover the system shows the apple logo and restarts, both verbose and safe mode mentions something with hibernation before a long row of ++++++++ before rebooting. Seems to be a common issue but the common solutions doesn't really help.

(If this question belongs somewhere else please point me in the right direction, thanks!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back