Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Asus Z370 Prime P + i7 8700 + Samsung 1TB 960 EVO NVMe + Nvidia GTX 1050

Motherboard
Asus Z370-P Prime
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
EDIT:

Problem resolved

Last edited:
Motherboard
ASUS z370-p
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
MacBook Pro
For whatever it is worth, I had a lot of problems cleanly installing with Nvidia 1070 with the same board and chip, I just swapped in Middleman's EFI and it has been smooth sailing. Thanks for the guide Middleman! This will be my 3rd machine built for myself since 2010.

Motherboard
ASUS z370-p
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
MacBook Pro
I'm a couple weeks in, and I'm seeing a problem with memory usage and Kernel Task. The system isn't using high CPU% but eating 20gb of RAM. Which is causing some audio streaming and performance issues. I've looked elsewhere for answers and have not found any resolution for the problems. @Middleman I'm basically using the EFI you posted above, is that still valid, or have you updated it for better performance.
thanks!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
Graphics
Integrated HD
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you for the guide!
I will be building a similar system with same MB and CPU but with a sapphire pulse rx 580 8GB. I'm curious if there is any difference with the setup I should do with it. Thank in advance.
You will likely need to make adjustments for the AMD card, so you will need to ignore the parts that I've specified for my Nvidia card such as installation of the GEForce and CUDA drivers. You will need to also look for an AMD GPU High Sierra install guide which may show you what ACPI and graphics settings you need to make in Clover. As it goes High Sierra has native support for AMD cards so the steps should be less than my guide.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170N-WIFI
CPU
Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
Graphics
Integrated HD
Mac
iMac, MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
I'm a couple weeks in, and I'm seeing a problem with memory usage and Kernel Task. The system isn't using high CPU% but eating 20gb of RAM. Which is causing some audio streaming and performance issues. I've looked elsewhere for answers and have not found any resolution for the problems. @Middleman I'm basically using the EFI you posted above, is that still valid, or have you updated it for better performance.
thanks!
Colorplates, you could try and see if enabling 'Above 4G Decoding' in the BIOS helps with this. You should equip the system with at least 16GB of RAM and make sure it is in pairs of either 4, 8 or 16GB. Don't bother with using uneven numbers of total RAM such as 12GB, 20GB as that could cause the instability. Afaik the EFI is still valid.

Motherboard
ASUS z370-p
CPU
i7 8700k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
MacBook Pro
SOLVED> So weirdly enough, I only changed one thing and it seems to have fixed the problem. I switched my screensaver from the color spider spaghetti to pictures, and presto, no ram overload. The reasoning behind this was that the system became sluggish after putting monitor to sleep. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm guessing this isn't the optimal fix, but system seems stable as of now.

Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i7-8700K
Graphics
GTX 1050 Ti
Mac
Mac mini
Middleman: great guide, thanks for sharing!

I have a Prime Z370-A motherboard in a fresh machine with blank drives, including a 500 GB Samsung NVMe drive, so you are my hope to get this done properly...

[Edit] I got past the rebooting circles by swapping the memory banks to A1 and B1 instead of the ASUS recommended A2 and B2 slots. (...what??...)

Now I am stuck at a repeating
AppleUSBHostResources@: AppleUSBHostResources::allocateDownstreamBusCurrentGated: assuming successful wakeUnits 100 sleepUnits 0

Just before I have another line saying that
AppleUSBXHCI::createPorts: ports limit reached. Not creating the remaining 11 ports

Any suggestions what to do?

Last edited:
Motherboard
Asus Prime Z370-A
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
GTX 760
Mac
iMac, MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi Middleman thanks for the guide. I used it to set up the Prime A motherboard which required only minor alterations to your prescription. Cheers
@bitf, can you please clarify those minor alterations? Are you referring to the Asus z370-A mobo?

Motherboard
Asus z370P
CPU
i7 8700k
Hi middle man thanks for the great help.
I have two questions apologies if these are obvious as is my first time building.
After replacing the EFI files that you provided got my sound to work and usb ports but no luck with the video.
Whenever I try to sort it via multibeast or clover configurator cant make it work and my usb 30 stop working.
First question is if I am using an normal samsung evo ssd how necessary is tho instal windows as well?
If I had the same specs would I be able to make everything work just by using your EFI files??
I have the same specs except the Nvidia card and the SSD :
Asus z370p Prime
i7 8700k
16gb 3000MHZ

Also my processor and ram seem to appear something else.
Any help would be extremely appreciated