Contribute
Register
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent information.

As for why I also chose M.2: While comparing to an EVO 860, there aren't a lot of speed differences... However, when it comes to large amounts of data being transferred, (like video files in FCPX) they actually perform way better. Also it looks like either 10.12.6 or 10.13 should bring support to M.2, and thus I imagine the machine will finally have sleep support.

Excellent information.

As for why I also chose M.2: While comparing to an EVO 860, there aren't a lot of speed differences... However, when it comes to large amounts of data being transferred, (like video files in FCPX) they actually perform way better. Also it looks like either 10.12.6 or 10.13 should bring support to M.2, and thus I imagine the machine will finally have sleep support.

Thanks for the cool video,

Question:

On my Asus Z270 Prime A board there are 2 drives connected to my M.2 slots, one is running Win10 and the other is blank,

None of them are seen by my OS X install, I followed the video exactly and have the same settings.

Why are they not avail for format?

Thanks!

I sincerely ask myself why you bought an m.2 instead of just the Sata one. m.2 does NOT have noticable higher speed for normal/consumer use.
For a hackintosh it only brings that you can not put the hackintosh into sleepmode.

I was in a store last week an had the option to buy the 960 m.2 but went for the 960 sata because I knew the m.2 would bring disadvantages for my hackintosh.

-edit- the only advantage I can think of is that you save physical space in your build

This confuses me, because I explicitly asked in a thread a few weeks ago whether I'd see a noticeable speed increase with an M2 module over SATA, and I was told I would.

Awesome, Glad you got yours working! can I ask you about your bluetooth, is it working Fine? mine seems to be slow and laggy, and is your Microphone Audio clean? mine seems to have some noise.
worked OOB... didn't have to do anything

Last edited:
This confuses me, because I explicitly asked in a thread a few weeks ago whether I'd see a noticeable speed increase with an M2 module over SATA, and I was told I would.
Nope, you will definitely NOT.

Nope, you will definitely NOT.
xBrndnn, seems that you have a pretty set opinion on this... but It's not such a straight cut answer, is it?
Its more of your preference to see that the NVMe will not provide any speed improvements, when in reality it will, but in certain situations:

If you were to copy a file from one NVMe drive to another NVMe drive you will definitely see a speed difference.
If you copy the same file from an NVMe drive to a USB 2.0 drive... sure you will get bottlenecked to the USB2 speed.

But the reason why you wont see a huge difference in speed is because your processor simply wont be put into a situation where it will need to process/write files faster than 500MB/s which is a good speed for SATA SSD.
On the other hand, I've benchmarked my NVME to write at 1500 and read at 3000MB/s

So yes, doing every day stuff on your hackintosh you wont need to exceed 500MB/s write speed and therefore you wont see a speed difference, if you need to exceed that speed, you will.

p.s. You could put 2 SSD's into Raid 0 to get a higher speed without having to get an NVMe, that's an option.

Question:
On my Asus Z270 Prime A board there are 2 drives connected to my M.2 slots, one is running Win10 and the other is blank... none of them are seen by my OS X install, I followed the video exactly and have the same settings.
Why are they not avail for format?

Not too sure... I know there are other NVMe patches, not only the ones I used, could be that your m.2 drives require other patches? what drives do you have, and Can you see them in ( / About This Mac / System Report / NVMExpress)?

Excellent information.

And I am also curious to see what APFS is going to be like, because if the file system is faster, you can transfer the files faster ;)

xBrndnn, seems that you have a pretty set opinion on this... but It's not such a straight cut answer, is it?
Its more of your preference to see that the NVMe will not provide any speed improvements, when in reality it will, but in certain situations:

If you were to copy a file from one NVMe drive to another NVMe drive you will definitely see a speed difference.
If you copy the same file from an NVMe drive to a USB 2.0 drive... sure you will get bottlenecked to the USB2 speed.

But the reason why you wont see a huge difference in speed is because your processor simply wont be put into a situation where it will need to process/write files faster than 500MB/s which is a good speed for SATA SSD.
On the other hand, I've benchmarked my NVME to write at 1500 and read at 3000MB/s

So yes, doing every day stuff on your hackintosh you wont need to exceed 500MB/s write speed and therefore you wont see a speed difference, if you need to exceed that speed, you will.

p.s. You could put 2 SSD's into Raid 0 to get a higher speed without having to get an NVMe, that's an option.
thank you for your explanation! I was too tired to explain all that.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back