Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent some time yesterday post update to look into proceeding with Clover or moving to OpenCore. OpenCore, IMHO, is the way to move forward.

However, to do so, will mean "taking the plunge" and simply working to get it implemented - there is no "bridge" process it seems. Is this an accurate assessment?

Also, I didn't see anything yet on how to replace the Clover installation with OC, most everything seems to be from the standpoint of a fresh install. If anyone has any insight there, that would be appreciated.

In the end, it looks like I'm going to have to wait until I can get another SSD to clone my current one to so I can implement the OC version w/o affecting my "production" set up.

Once that's done though. looks like it will be pretty solid moving forward, until Apple stops supporting Kaby Lake chips.

Hi.
Nice, i really support your decision to change to OC. From my point of view OC does really work smooth.

Also, I didn't see anything yet on how to replace the Clover installation with OC, most everything seems to be from the standpoint of a fresh install. If anyone has any insight there, that would be appreciated.
Why don't you first try to make a bootable Usb-stick (thumb-drive) with a working OC Efi and config.plist? After you've managed this, you then can safely migrate from Clover to OpenCore, no need of a fresh install. But keep in mind, that you need to make a few changes before you convert your system. (here)
In the end, it looks like I'm going to have to wait until I can get another SSD to clone my current one to so I can implement the OC version w/o affecting my "production" set up.
This could be the most safe way to advance; recommended if you want avoid any possible troubles.

Hi.
Nice, i really support your decision to change to OC. From my point of view OC does really work smooth.

Thanks!

Why don't you first try to make a bootable Usb-stick (thumb-drive) with a working OC Efi and config.plist? After you've managed this, you then can safely migrate from Clover to OpenCore, no need of a fresh install. But keep in mind, that you need to make a few changes before you convert your system. (here)
I hadn't done this yet as converting to OC seems to require modifying certain aspects of the in situ system (namely the NVRAM stuff that Clover apparently inserts). At least according to OC dox. Is this incorrect?

I think you should be able to switch in-between, if you clean the nvram after reboot. On the other side, I've read that some persons had a mess after trying to do that. Maybe due to some bad configured clover and OpenCore.

I think you should be able to switch in-between, if you clean the nvram after reboot. On the other side, I've read that some persons had a mess after trying to do that. Maybe due to some bad configured clover and OpenCore.

It's that NVRAM mess I'm not wanting to "mess with" - especially on my production box... so I'll wait until I can get a spare drive to clone to first.

06/30/2021 10.15.7 Supplemental Update 19H1323 (2021-004)

Updated to 10.15.7 Supplemental 19H1323 (2021-004)

1. Back up your system. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. This is SOP when doing updates.
2. DO NOT update Clover past 5122! Clover versions 5123 and beyond utilize a bit of OpenCore - introducing a Quirks section, and I haven't sussed that out for this build.
3. Updated Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC.
4. Installed the update. System will reboot three to five times and then you should be good to go. If Clover does not automatically choose the "Installer Data via Preboot", you must choose that on reboots. You may get a black screen after the last reboot that lasts a little longer than usual, so just wait that out and the logon screen will appear.

Update installed without any issues.

Great! Thanks for sharing.

I have a very similar sistem, but I'm having trouble using iGPU. I have installed a GTX 1080 from day 1, but now that I want to update my system from HS, I haven't been able to make iGPU work. It boots, reaches Clover, and crashes/restarts on black Apple loading screen.

Do you have any thoughts on that? I know you are a much better 'hackintosher' than me.
Thanks in advance!
Are there any webdrivers for Nvidia-cards for Mojave? As far as i know they don't exist, but i'm not up to date on this topic.

@GrizzlyBR : Relative to the iGPU, you'll need through my guide from installation to upgrading to High Sierra and see where your system is different and adjust accordingly. I can't really provide much help beyond that as you have a different motherboard. My guess is you have something in the Clover file misconfigured. So, you'll need to post your own help thread in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back