Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am still using 18.3. I think Hackintosh tool is wrong. I notice itd as well.

This build is using an 18,3 as well, and I'm not noticing any issues.

Have a look here, this charts out the models.

This build is using an 18,3 as well, and I'm not noticing any issues.

Have a look here, this charts out the models.
Thanks for the charts! Really useful for an oversight.
They show that there are existing iMac 18,3 with i7 or i5 cpus.

In my case, I use an i7. But, as I described in my last post, Hackintool indicates me that my serial number is connected to an i5 iMac18,3. So i was curious, if this could lead to problems.

I am still using 18.3. I think Hackintosh tool is wrong. I notice itd as well.
So Hackintool leads in your case to a i5 as well?

Thanks for the charts! Really useful for an oversight.
They show that there are existing iMac 18,3 with i7 or i5 cpus.

In my case, I use an i7. But, as I described in my last post, Hackintool indicates me that my serial number is connected to an i5 iMac18,3. So i was curious, if this could lead to problems.

So Hackintool leads in your case to a i5 as well?
I don't think Apple cares about the S/N and whether it ties to actual hardware in our case. ;)

03/08/2021 10.15.7 Supplemental Update 19H524

Updated to 10.15.7 Supplemental 19H524

1. Back up your system. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. This is SOP when doing updates.
2. Still did NOT update Clover. Clover versions 5123 and beyond utilize a bit of OpenCore - introducing a Quirks section, and I haven't sussed that out for this build.
3. Updated Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC.
4. Installed the update. System will reboot three times (once to begin install, second time near the beginning of when the installation is in progress, and then a final time that brings you to the login screen) and then you should be good to go. If Clover does not automatically choose the "Installer Data via Preboot", you must choose that on reboots. You may get a black screen after the last reboot that lasts a little longer than usual, so just wait that out and the logon screen will appear.

Update installed without any issues.

JCMunsonII, thank you for your great instructions and sifting through a myriad of data to present us with your working build! I hope I can join you all here. My first build in (Dec'17), which followed your h/w - including migrating to Vega 64 - developed problems. I had supposed something became corrupted. After checking the Mobo, the memory, the M.2 NvME... I discovered it was an intermittent power supply. :( I am now ready to start building again.

Is there a way to begin with, say, Catalina if my drive no longer has Sierra or High Sierra installed? Or, do you recommend beginning as you did with Sierra and upgrading, step by step, to Catalina? I am concerned, for example, that I'd miss a myriad of fixes and tweaks along the way - such as when you changed from iMac 14,2 to 18,3, added Vega 64, etc, etc...

Thank you! StGeorge1

Last edited:
JCMunsonII, thank you for your great instructions and sifting through a myriad of data to present us with your working build! I hope I can join you all here. My first build in (Dec'17), which followed your h/w - including migrating to Vega 64 - developed problems. I had supposed something became corrupted. After checking the Mobo, the memory, the M.2 NvME... I discovered it was an intermittent power supply. :( I am now ready to start building again.

Is there a way to begin with, say, Catalina if my drive no longer has Sierra or High Sierra installed? Or, do you recommend beginning as you did with Sierra and upgrading, step by step, to Catalina? I am concerned, for example, that I'd miss a myriad of fixes and tweaks along the way - such as when you changed from iMac 14,2 to 18,3, added Vega 64, etc, etc...

Thank you! StGeorge1
Quite welcome!

With careful reading, and note taking, you should be able to arrive at what's needed for Catalina and thus start at Catalina given that I've documented the necessary changes I had to make going forward.

Thank you!

Is there a reference that might give me some basic background, even a tutorial? For example, do I make the various Nvidia tweaks even though I am using Vega64? Of course I would not, but this one's easy because I know what a GPU is and know Nvidia is replaced later. Please bear with my Freshman knowledge. But what are plists? What role do kexts play and where are they found? Does CPUID matter because later Multibeasts might overcome that? How does one operate Clover? Etc. Etc. I have some knowledge, but apparently just enough to get me into trouble!

If this information does not exist, perhaps I could make my list of changes by combing your work, then list those things I do not understand and post those here? I appreciate your mentoring.

Thank you!

Is there a reference that might give me some basic background, even a tutorial? For example, do I make the various Nvidia tweaks even though I am using Vega64? Of course I would not, but this one's easy because I know what a GPU is and know Nvidia is replaced later. Please bear with my Freshman knowledge. But what are plists? What role do kexts play and where are they found? Does CPUID matter because later Multibeasts might overcome that? How does one operate Clover? Etc. Etc. I have some knowledge, but apparently just enough to get me into trouble!

If this information does not exist, perhaps I could make my list of changes by combing your work, then list those things I do not understand and post those here? I appreciate your mentoring.
Since you are starting with a Vega64, you would obviously drop any NVidia-related items.

The easiest way to deal with Clover is through Clover Configurator, which provides a convenient front-end to edit the plist that Clover reads at boot time. Otherwise, you'll need a text editor that DOES NOT modify the EOL character, such as the XCode tool, or UltraEdit, etc. If you use the "text editor", you'll kill the plist and render it useless, bricking your machine until you can fix that file. A plist is a "Property List" - similar to an XML file.

I have been putting kexts in Clover\kexts\other. I don't put them in the system folder as I've had trouble with that in the past (unless otherwise noted in my build log notes). Kexts (Kernel Extensions) are required for certain I/O devices and other hardware to work properly, they're like (if not) device drivers.

I don't have a CPUID specified in Clover's plist, so I don't think it is necessary.

Yes, you may post your questions, that is what the board is for. As for a Clover tutorial, not sure. I certainly don't know everything there is to know about it - especially the "quirks" section (which has to do with Big Sur).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back