Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew! Now I can concentrate on finding a AMD video card to replace my GTX 1080Ti... any suggestions?
For Mojave, try RX Vega 64 or Radeon VII, both on the used market. For Catalina 10.15.3 or newer, try RX 5700 XT.

This is a screen shot from Tom's Hardware. What i worry about is that my two year old nVidia card is still ranked higher than a brand new AMD 5700 XT. I need BF V FPS!... Is it possible to keep my 1080 card and also have and AMD? Any thought on doing that? Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 11.42.00 AM.png

... Is it possible to keep my 1080 card and also have and AMD? Any thought on doing that?
I haven't tried that, but I've read others that have used two cards. You best post your question in the Graphics forum section.

See also:

02/05/2020 10.15.3 Update

Updated to 10.15.3.

1. Back up your system. I use Carbon Copy Cloner. This is SOP when doing updates.
2. Updated Clover Configurator.
3. Updated Clover to version 5103 (choose "Install anyway" if given the compatibility warning during that update).
4. Update, via Clover Configurator, Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC kexts.
5. Install the update. System will reboot twice and then you should be good to go. If Clover does not automatically choose the "Installer Preboot from Preboot", you must choose that on both reboots.

Update installed without any issues.

@Bob_the_Tomato : if you are moving to Catalina, then you must change your GFX card. If not, why switch? I don't know of any directly comparable AMD GFX cards to the 1080Ti. Don't Macs run games differently than Windows boxes anyway? If so, an AMD card may be just peachy. I haven't researched the matter, so am not knowledgeable relative to whether games perform equally well on a Mac.

@Bob_the_Tomato : if you are moving to Catalina, then you must change your GFX card. If not, why switch? I don't know of any directly comparable AMD GFX cards to the 1080Ti. Don't Macs run games differently than Windows boxes anyway? If so, an AMD card may be just peachy. I haven't researched the matter, so am not knowledgeable relative to whether games perform equally well on a Mac.
I need to update to Catalina because my current XCODE will not allow me to write code for IOS 12.2 and newer devices. I’m stuck at 12.1 or older. AND newer versions of XCODE demand Catalina... so I need to choose between my 32 bit apps and IOS13. Decisions, decisions...

Then either Vega 64 (I have the MSI "reference" edition - blower style fan), or 5700 XT. Best of affordable breed ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back