Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Those kexts should go in either EFI/Clover/kext/other, or /L/E, but not both. I have mine in the former.

2. CPU power management is necessary in Mojave. The guide is straightforward about its implementation.

3. I don't use Hackintool, instead opting for Clover Configurator. WhateverGreen should take care of the renames for you, so you can disable them in Clover Configurator and test.

4. I don't use Hackintool, so can't comment. My attempts to get the "headless" operation didn't work, despite Pastry Chef's best assistance, so, in the end I had to implement his EFI folder (which, on the surface was the same as mine), which he graciously shared.

5. I don't use Hackintool. I implemented the USB SSDT.

6. What kexts I have won't help you as I'm on Catalina now, and that's different from Mojave.

1. Those kexts should go in either EFI/Clover/kext/other, or /L/E, but not both. I have mine in the former.

2. CPU power management is necessary in Mojave. The guide is straightforward about its implementation.

3. I don't use Hackintool, instead opting for Clover Configurator. WhateverGreen should take care of the renames for you, so you can disable them in Clover Configurator and test.

4. I don't use Hackintool, so can't comment. My attempts to get the "headless" operation didn't work, despite Pastry Chef's best assistance, so, in the end I had to implement his EFI folder (which, on the surface was the same as mine), which he graciously shared.

5. I don't use Hackintool. I implemented the USB SSDT.

6. What kexts I have won't help you as I'm on Catalina now, and that's different from Mojave.

Thanks, man.

Updated to 10.15.2 today. First updated Clover to version 5100, Clover Configurator also had an update, then updated Lilu, WhateverGreen, and AppleALC to latest versions via Clover Configurator. Two reboots later and up on 10.15.2.

If Clover and OpenCore were cars, OpenCore would be the one with manual transmission, no power steering, and no power brakes. Everything has to be done manually. Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve to acquaint yourself with the terminologies used in the config.plist switches, but once you figure that out, it's not too bad.

Because Z170, Z270,. and Z370 are so extremely similar, most of my OpenCore EFI should work for you. Areas where you will probably need to make changes are:
  • config.plist > ACPI > Add
  • config.plist > ACPI > Patches
  • config.plist > DeviceProperties (delete everything I have in mine)
  • config.plist > PlatformInfo > Generic
I think you should be able to leave all the Quirks as-is.

I think the "learning curve" is a bit too steep for my knowledge right now. I've tried to setup a OpeCore bootloader on a stick, no success so far. Many Questions appear. What did you do for emulated NVRAM for example?
Anyway, here's my first attempt, maybe you can tell me if I'm on the right way. Greetings

Attachments

• EFI Opencore Fraxinus first try.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
I think the "learning curve" is a bit too steep for my knowledge right now. I've tried to setup a OpeCore bootloader on a stick, no success so far. Many Questions appear. What did you do for emulated NVRAM for example?
Anyway, here's my first attempt, maybe you can tell me if I'm on the right way. Greetings

Sorry. I'm nowhere near competent enough with OpenCore to diagnose issues without being in front of the computer itself. Even then, it would take me a long time...

Yes, I used the same drivers you did but thought that maybe you had different versions that worked but that didn't pan out... I even tried using the versions of kexts you had. Again, no success...

I stopped putting kexts in /Library/Extensions/ long ago, so kext cache definitely wasn't an issue for me.

All the kexts from Acidanthera were intended to be injected by the bootloader...
I'm getting ready to make another attempt to move from 10.14.6 to Catalina. My WEG, Lilu, etc. kexts are currently in /L/E and I've been keeping them updated with Hackintool.

Have things changed for Catalina whereas the kexts are now intended to in Clover's Other?

Is that just for Acidanthera's? Are there some that should be in /L/E?

Also, I know that you've moved to OpenCore (I've got to take baby steps, ha ha). Is there a logical way to determine which EFI drivers should be used with the latest Clover? Of all the necessary components of a successful boot, the EFI drivers confuse me the most (as far a choosing which ones to use).

I'm getting ready to make another attempt to move from 10.14.6 to Catalina. My WEG, Lilu, etc. kexts are currently in /L/E and I've been keeping them updated with Hackintool.

Have things changed for Catalina whereas the kexts are now intended to in Clover's Other?

Is that just for Acidanthera's? Are there some that should be in /L/E?

Also, I know that you've moved to OpenCore (I've got to take baby steps, ha ha). Is there a logical way to determine which EFI drivers should be used with the latest Clover? Of all the necessary components of a successful boot, the EFI drivers confuse me the most (as far a choosing which ones to use).

As far as I know, all the kexts from acidanthera are intended to be injected by the bootloader. Just about all the kexts I use are from acidanthera now.

As far as I know, all the kexts from acidanthera are intended to be injected by the bootloader. Just about all the kexts I use are from acidanthera now.
That's really useful to know!! Will certainly make things a bit 'cleaner'!

Any thoughts on the best links or sources to decipher which EFI drivers to use - and more importantly 'why'?

That's really useful to know!! Will certainly make things a bit 'cleaner'!

Any thoughts on the best links or sources to decipher which EFI drivers to use - and more importantly 'why'?

I don't know of any sources that lists the function of all the EFI drivers.

FYI - I decided to get up to speed on Lilu and WEG so I read and followed this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

Then I finally decided to fix my USB stuff. I did a deep dive on using @headkaze 's Hackintool. I read this entire thread:

then I followed this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

and this for High Sierra: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/new-usb-raise-port-limit-patch-for-high-sierra.226072/

But that last one was a little confusing because it was not made clear in the OP that those port limit patches were different for each version of High Sierra. Post 112 had the latest patch info but even THAT was not quite correct as that info used an Ampersand in the name and Clover goes nuts with it... so eventually I got to : Post 121 with the correct patch info for HS 10.13.6. For your reading pleasure here it is:

XML:
<key>KextsToPatch</key>
<array>
<dict>
<key>Comment</key>
<string>USB 10.13.4+ by PMHeart</string>
<key>Disabled</key>
<false/>
<key>Find</key>
<data>
g32UDw+DlwQAAA==
</data>
<key>InfoPlistPatch</key>
<false/>
<key>MatchOS</key>
<string>10.13.x</string>
<key>Name</key>
<string>com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCI</string>
<key>Replace</key>
<data>
g32UD5CQkJCQkA==
</data>
</dict>
<dict>

So now I could actually see all my ports and it was easy to follow the instructions to use Hackintool to reach the 15 port limit that Mac OS imposes.

Whew! Now I can concentrate on finding a AMD video card to replace my GTX 1080Ti... any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back