Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear JCMunsonII, I have the same CPU and motherboard than you, and the internal HD630 graphics. I am trying to install macOS Mojave. The installation is complete but when I use MultiBeast to configure the bootloader, even if I only select the bootloader, the UEFI mode, and the iMAC definition (18,3). When I boot I came stuck in and HDMI infinite loop and can not access to the Desktop. (Like the springboard of an iPhone screen in black and a rotating wheel but never give me image.)

I see a lot of comments and post about HDMI is a problem. Right now I will try High Sierra. (I can not stay in Sierra because I need office suite.) So the question is with connection did you use with your monitor? I only have an HDMI cable at the moment. My monitor have HDMI, DVI and DP. I bought a DP cable but is under way.

I need to make sure if that is the problem that better use DP. did you try DP - HDMI cable? Has to be the same at both ends.

I will buy in the future and AMD, card but today is not possible.

Thank you in advance.

@Ennio1985

I never used the onboard HDMI as I have a 4K screen, and, thus, I used the DP port. So, honestly, I'm not versed in how to answer your questions with the exception of the cable. From my experience, hybrid cabling won't work. Use a solid DP or solid HDMI cable (others may have different experiences).

Relative to the graphics boot, make sure you have Clover configured properly to support the onboard graphics card (that information can be found in the build guide).

I hear you on the graphics card - pricey hardware!

@Ennio1985

I never used the onboard HDMI as I have a 4k screen and thus used the DP port, so, honestly, I'm not versed in how to answer your questions, with the exception of the cable - from my experience, hybrid cabling won't work, use a solid DP or solid HDMI cable (others may have different experiences).

Relative to the graphics boot, make sure you have Clover configured properly to support the onboard graphics card (that information can be found in the build guide).

I hear you on the graphics card - pricey hardware!
Thanks man. Another question, did you test HDMI with the onboard graphics?

At some post I read that in Mojave when you boot, you have to unplug and plug again the HDMI cable to the image to show properly.

I 'm feel lost right know only Sierra has been a success.

Mojave: black screen with a rotating wheel in the login screen.
High Sierra: after installing MultiBeast, when boot the partitions dont show up! only can boot from the external USB.

I read and read a lot but it seem I'm lost. I go back to Sierra all the time.

Do you have any suggestion?

As stated, I've been using DP. That being said, I DID use the HDMI port on a particular update when I had a "black screen" after the update (it was a "live black", not dead black, so the screen was receiving output). The OS, for whatever reason, needed the HDMI input to determine monitor sequence. After I plugged that in, saw the login screen, etc., I was able to switch back to the DP port without any further issues and have been there ever since. I believe this happened under High Sierra.

I can't say that I've discreetly tested the HDMI port with the onboard graphics.

If you post your EFI folder, (and which OS you are actually running), minus any Clover themes, we may be able to be of further assistance. Be sure to remove serial numbers, etc., from the config file.

Has Someone already tried to setup a Maximus IX Z270 with OpenCore? I'm really interested in changing soon my bootloader and would like to compare with some other EFI folders.

Has Someone already tried to setup a Maximus IX Z270 with OpenCore? I'm really interested in changing soon my bootloader and would like to compare with some other EFI folders.
I won't be in a hurry if I was you, unless it's a hobby. OpenCore is in beta, and there are no helper applications like Uni/MultiBeast. @pastrychef is running OpenCore on his ASUS Z370, and it's been work for him.

OpenCore has been working extremely well for me. I've pretty much switched over completely.

If you want, you can grab my OpeCore EFI folder from my Z370 build thread and use it for reference. It's attached to post #1. Link is below in my signature.

I won't be in a hurry if I was you, unless it's a hobby. OpenCore is in beta, and there are no helper applications like Uni/MultiBeast. @pastrychef is running OpenCore on his ASUS Z370, and it's been work for him.
Yes, you definitely have a point on this. It's just because i'm already using a few opencore drivers for Filevault2 and i'm astonished how flawless it works. So i try to approximate to opencore with the goal to change in a few months. I don't use Uni/Multibeast anymore.

OpenCore has been working extremely well for me. I've pretty much switched over completely.

If you want, you can grab my OpeCore EFI folder from my Z370 build thread and use it for reference. It's attached to post #1. Link is below in my signature.
Yes, thank you for this. I've checked it out a few days ago and tried to build something similar, but got stuck on different places, seems like there are many things i don't understand yet. :)

Yes, thank you for this. I've checked it out a few days ago and tried to build something similar, but got stuck on different places, seems like there are many things i don't understand yet. :)

If Clover and OpenCore were cars, OpenCore would be the one with manual transmission, no power steering, and no power brakes. Everything has to be done manually. Yes, there's a bit of a learning curve to acquaint yourself with the terminologies used in the config.plist switches, but once you figure that out, it's not too bad.

Because Z170, Z270,. and Z370 are so extremely similar, most of my OpenCore EFI should work for you. Areas where you will probably need to make changes are:
  • config.plist > ACPI > Add
  • config.plist > ACPI > Patches
  • config.plist > DeviceProperties (delete everything I have in mine)
  • config.plist > PlatformInfo > Generic
I think you should be able to leave all the Quirks as-is.

As stated, I've been using DP. That being said, I DID use the HDMI port on a particular update when I had a "black screen" after the update (it was a "live black", not dead black, so the screen was receiving output). The OS, for whatever reason, needed the HDMI input to determine monitor sequence. After I plugged that in, saw the login screen, etc., I was able to switch back to the DP port without any further issues and have been there ever since. I believe this happened under High Sierra.

I can't say that I've discreetly tested the HDMI port with the onboard graphics.

If you post your EFI folder, (and which OS you are actually running), minus any Clover themes, we may be able to be of further assistance. Be sure to remove serial numbers, etc., from the config file.
Hey, men! Thanks for your response. At the end I manage to have image. But I have almost the same hardware that you have, and I ask for some guidance.

I just want to know if I manage to build an optimize build.

I have:
CPU: i7-7700k
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IX Hero
Drive: SATA
Graphics: Asus Rog Strix RX 580 8GB
Intel HD630 (internal)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz, via Display port (i buy the cable)
The macOS I want to optimize is Mojave 10.14.6.

I have a specific questions:

1. After Install, I use MultiBeast just to put the Bootloader, the correct SMB definitions, and the Ethernet Driver (Mausi), audio AppleALC. But, when I rebooted, instead (I have the DisplayPort connection) I got a black screen until I put lilu+whatevergreen in /L/E / and EFI/Clover/kext/other/. Then I got graphics with full acceleration. So how did you activate your graphic card?

2. I see in a post that you have that you manage to accomplish the CPU power management for this CPU. Did it make any difference to do it or not? Can you share how to do it? I read the guide but not try it yet.

3. I read in the lilu's plugins guide that supposedly whatevergreen fixs the renames like GFX0 to IGPU, HEC to IMEI automatically. But, when I open Hackintool, this app ask me what I want to make the fixes. (So did you rename this via Clover or Hackintool or don't do it?

4. The guide says that the way iMacs operate is using the internal HD630 as buffer or co-graphic processor. So does macOS depend on this for Finder and light tasks. The guides tell that configure the iGPU as headless is the way to go. We have to use Hackintool to patch the internal buffers for the HD630. But as I review the patch work, I don't have the exact output that the guide says. Can you share with me the output that hackintool give you in case you do this part?

5. I follow the processes for mapping the USB ports. But I see that have inconsistent results doing the Hackintool way instead of keep USBinjectALL and remove the patch-limit. What did you do?

6. What kexts do you have in EFI/clover/kext/other ?

Men, sorry for this big post, but this is my first time in the hachintosh world. I'm beginning to learn and love macOS.

I appreciate your help a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back