Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my monitor. I have no issues with it (and I do art/photography) in terms of typography, etc. I have it scaled and everything is very smooth. :D

As to how it compares to a 5K monitor - hard to say, I don't have one to do a side-by-side comparison.

As for the "PPI," I think dot size is the proper comparison. You'll have smaller dots at smaller screen sizes that support the same resolution and sometimes that can lead to eye strain. I did have a 24" 4K monitor, and the 28" is tons better for that very reason.
thanks for the information.

I have TWO 4K monitors attached to my system and have discovered that everything is too darn small. Even on a 27" screen. I am now wasting most of that 4K goodness by running them at 2560 x 1440

I also found 27" too small to use 4K native resolution comfortably. I switched to 32" and it made a huge difference.

I also have two 32” monitors for the same reason.

10/08/2019 Clover 5070, 10.14.6 Supplemental Update & Attempted Catalina Upgrade

The last addressed first: failed with prohibited symbol, still watching for a fix.

Clover 5070

This was a scary update. Why scary? Well, getting to the EFI partition to change things is a little rough, and, not knowing what may break is another. However, this process was made MUCH easier as a result of this excellent "How To" thread. The short of it is, Clover changed some structure, dropped some drivers, and that made things a little trickier.

Here is the short process:

1. Backup your system using your favorite tool, such as Carbon Copy Cloner.
2. Update Clover Configurator, "CC".
3. Using CC, or your favorite updating tool, update your kexts, or, if you prefer, make sure you have located the current kexts and copy them over manually to the proper places. I had to update Lilu, Whatevergreen, and AppleALC.
4. Copy your EFI folder to <your system drive>/EFI-Backups/<your chosen backup folder name> - so you can find this later as you'll need to do some copying.
5. Drag the CLOVER folder in your mounted EFI driver to the trash and empty the trash.
6. Using CC, download and *begin* the install process for the latest Clover.
7. When you get to Installation, click Customize.
8. Have your Finder view set to your EFI-Backups/../Clover folder and begin to match up your drivers to what's in the installer (refer to the thread previously linked) using your Finder view as the reference.
9. After matching everything, run the installation.
10. After installation, now you'll need to copy over the ACPI->Patched files, config.plist, Kexts->Other files, driver64UEFI files (to the drivers/UEFI folder in the new version) that are missing/needed, and your theme information.

Once that is done, you should be good to go for a reboot (after double-checking everything to ensure nothing is missing) and get back into MacOS.

10.14.6 Supplemental Update

I thought I had done this, but, apparently not. After updating Clover & kexts as above, this update proceeded without issue. Safari also updated at the same time. It did take a little while.

Installed Catalina today. As my system was up-to-date per yesterday's work, the only thing I had to do was use the Clover facility to rename EC0 to EC and the installation proceeded without issue.

Why: USB power, etc., must be critical to Catalina. I had EC0 in my ACPI segment and it was returning TRUE, so I had to use the rename facility in Clover (set that patch using Clover Configurator). No SSDT_EC.aml needed in this case.

For details, see this post. You will either need to rename EC0 (or H_EC), OR, use SSDT_EC.aml if neither EC0 or H_EC are present in IORegistryExplorer OR EC0 (or H_EC) _STA is set to FALSE (0).

To determine if _STA is set to TRUE, look for 0xfffffff as that is an unsigned INT for "true" (that part may not be clear to some people).

Once I renamed EC0 to EC, the installation took about 45 minutes to complete.

Installed the 10.15 Supplemental Update today.

1. Checked for Clover/kext updates. Clover, while at 5097 (I'm on 5070), was not compatible with my current macOS, and all the kexts were up to date, so there was nothing to do there.
2. Restarted to install the OS update.
3. Selected the Install macOS Preboot on Preboot. Interestingly, Clover did no auto-select this option, so I had to repeat step 2 and manually select it.
4. After Step 3 reboots, select the Preboot again - NOT the "Data". Installation/update will continue.
5. After Step 4 completes, reboot and proceed with normal startup.

the only thing I had to do was use the Clover facility to rename EC0 to EC and the installation proceeded without issue.

Thanks for this hint. I've added "change EC0 to EC" in CloverConfigurator. Before my hack stuck after the first reboot in the installing process. Now everything works smooth.

thanks for this hint. I've added "change EC0 to EC" in CloverConfigurator. Before my hack stuck after the first reboot in the installing process. Now everything works smooth.
Quite welcome! Glad I found something to pass along that was helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back