Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange thing happened this morning... system locked up on wake, rebooted, then, it seems, installed some sort of update. NVidia Web Drivers were also updated.

Everything seems OK, but I see nothing for a security update here in the forum. I'll have a look around.

Ah, found it - Apple issued a mandatory root user fix.

Updated to 10.13.2 yesterday.

If first replaced apfs.efi (as per guide), but forgot I am using Lilu + Shiki, so, after the update ran I ended up in a KP restart loop. Tracking that down was a pain - the system processes so quickly that verbose mode scrolled by too fast to catch so I had to video the process and hope I caught the problem. I noticed Lilu & Shiki were being loaded, and after a bit frustration, finally found them (I missed them a few times - consequence of being over tired), and replaced them.

So, replace apfs.efi, Lilu, and Shiki, and you should have no trouble with the update.

CUDA, however, remains an issue, I'll have to work on that...

Besides the built in Wifi on the "Code" version, would the "Hero" be the exact version minus the WiFi or could there be other subtle changes that would make it different enough that your guide may not work for the "Code" model?

Besides the built in Wifi on the "Code" version, would the "Hero" be the exact version minus the WiFi or could there be other subtle changes that would make it different enough that your guide may not work for the "Code" model?
Great question!

Unfortunately, I have no knowledge of the differences between the motherboards. Most likely, if the hardware/chipsets are the same, theoretically it should work the same.

This build by @JCMunsonII has inspired me to do one of my own. I'm coming off of a late 2009 iMac which I purchased for my music studio thinking that it would be quiet and powerful. It lasted 8 solid years, though I've done upgrades to it here and there. But the worst part of all was that the fans would constantly spin up and basically render my studio useless. Over the last year, I got really lazy about taking it apart and clearing out all of the dust, so my GPU finally gave out. After reading this forum and watching countless youtube videos since that fateful day in August, I'm finally ready to build. I'll try and document all of the steps, but here are the components that I purchased:

Case - Fractal Design Define R5
Mobo - ASUS Rog Maximus IX Hero
CPU - Core i7-7700k Delidded (per recommendation by @pastrychef) - I do plan on overclocking it to 5-5.2Ghz
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15
RAM - 64GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX DDR4 - CMK64GX4M2A2400C14 (2 ea)
Storage - 2 ea. 1TB Samsung 960 EVO
GPU - Sapphire R9 280x (I don't need much for Logic Pro X - just need this to drive an 34" Ultrawide monitor)
10GBps NIC - SolarFlare SFN5122F Dual Port (per recommendation by @pastrychef for fast backup transfers between my FreeNAS server in garage and my Hackintosh)
Firewire - Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card SD-PEX30009 (for my older Apogee Duet FW)
TH3 - ASUS ThunderboltEX 3 (at some point in future if and when I move to TH3 Audio Interface)

I'm debating on whether to install El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra. Going for ease of installation and compatibility because not all music apps are HS compatible yet.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions and critique my choices. Oh and wish me luck. I'll try and document the steps and post them here.

@luckyal - after you are done, you should create your own User Build thread if your installation differs from mine enough to help others.

JCMunsonII, Wow! Thanks for being so explicit! I am starting with nearly the same configuration: Maximus IX Hero, i7-7700k, Ballistix Elite DDR4 2 x 8 GB, GTX-1070 FTW, Samsung 960 Pro NVMe 512, planned water cooling.
I am several days into this and am totally flailing. Was I naive to think that the TonyMac guide would be enough, or was greater software programming knowledge needed as a first step? If the Guide or my experience was insufficient, where do I begin following your guide if I start with 10.13.2? Please don't send me back to El Cap!! Would not many of your steps be captured in the latest UniBeast and MultiBeast? Thanks very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back