Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z270 ROG Maximus IX Hero - i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - Intel HD 630

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not one thing, it's another. I got past the black screen and machine was stable, so I thought I'd implement an SSDT for USB port limit. Spent a solid 3 days reading and re-reading @RehabMan post, got USB working without issues. Went back into BIOS to enable Intel Virtualization and noticed that ALL of my BIOS settings are set to default. Hmm...I had never reset them, or hit clear CMOS button while testing my USB ports (don't even try :)). Anyway, I decided to go through and set all my settings to what they were one by one. I discovered that I'm getting the same error as I attached to this post. Funny thing is I implemented all of the suggestions made by @pastrychef and @manHands . If I disable Thunderbolt, boots no problem. But obviously there's no way I'm going to do that because I need to get Thunderbolt going. The card is in great working condition and my UAD Apollo Twin MKII is recognized in Windows 10 and previously in macOS. So I'm sitting here scratching my head....again.

Most posts like the one here by @P1LGRIM talk about ensuring that all the usual drivers are loaded in the drivers64UEFI. One that caught my attention is AptioMemoryFix.efi which is what I have in the folder now. Should it be AptioMemoryFix-64.efi instead?

This one here by @BreBo says that I need to make changes to my config.plist by ensuring that CsrActiveConfig is set to 0x67 not 0x03.

@CaseySJ on the other hand was able to solve similar issue by "by using OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi in combination with slide=0. All other memory fix drivers are ineffective" as he describes in his build. I am accounting for the fact that his system is different than mine but also a fairly recent build.

Any thoughts?

Sorry. I don't have any experience with Thunderbolt and have no idea how it behaves.

I know that AptioMemoryFix works for Z170, Z270, and Z370. From what I've read it doesn't work well with Z390. Reading about fixes that work for an entirely different chipset will probably not help you.

Sorry. I don't have any experience with Thunderbolt and have no idea how it behaves.

I know that AptioMemoryFix works for Z170, Z270, and Z370. From what I've read it doesn't work well with Z390. Reading about fixes that work for an entirely different chipset will probably not help you.
I've spent hours doing extensive tests. Tested every single scenario and option within BIOS to no avail. I have come to a conclusion, however, that this is NOT a BIOS issue at all. With Primary set to PEG and iGPU enabled I can boot into Windows 10 without an issue AND my Thunderbolt card works without any problems. Mac OS is a different story. I have 2 options there - disable iGPU completely or Disable Thunderbolt. This leads me to believe that the issue is somewhere between Clover specific adjustments I had to make for the GPU to as per instructions I received a few posts earlier, or the problem is somewhere in the AptioMemoryFix.efi

I removed AptioMemoryFix.efi and replaced it with AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, which did absolutely nothing for me. I'm exhausted now, so first thing tomorrow I'm going to try to remove both and replace with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi as per @CaseySJ suggestion, and see what happens. Weird part about this is that no matter where the Asus ThunderboltEX 3 card is placed (NB 8_2 slot or SB 4_3 slot) the issue remains.

Could you clarify whether it should be AptioMemeoryFix or AptioMemoryFix-64

Could you clarify whether it should be AptioMemeoryFix or AptioMemoryFix-64

I think they are the same. At some point the Clover installer changed the name. Just use whatever is installed by the Clover installer.

Still don
If you are using an APFSDriverLoader, you do not strictly need apfs.efi - the driver loader will fetch the appropriate version for you. You should be able to safely remove it.

Ignore this post - I hadn't seen the slew of conversation prior to posting it...
I removed my apfs.efi - should I put it back? lol

Because I used @JCMunsonII guide to build my own system, and everyone been extremely helpful - I'm looking at you @manHands @Stork and @pastrychef, I felt obligated to report back with some things I've discovered regarding the dreaded "Couldn't allocate runtime area." For those of you who have lots of PCIe cards installed, Clover, apparently, is unable to find memory space over 4G to use. So I was able to solve this with the help of @jb007 who suggested that I go into BIOS and enable "Above 4G decoding" (it may be worded differently for those with other type of motherboards. It sounds like there are other, perhaps more elegant, ways of achieving the same task, but I'm learning a lot and my priority is still to get my Thunderbolt device to work.

Because I used @JCMunsonII guide to build my own system, and everyone been extremely helpful - I'm looking at you @manHands @Stork and @pastrychef, I felt obligated to report back with some things I've discovered regarding the dreaded "Couldn't allocate runtime area." For those of you who have lots of PCIe cards installed, Clover, apparently, is unable to find memory space over 4G to use. So I was able to solve this with the help of @jb007 who suggested that I go into BIOS and enable "Above 4G decoding" (it may be worded differently for those with other type of motherboards. It sounds like there are other, perhaps more elegant, ways of achieving the same task, but I'm learning a lot and my priority is still to get my Thunderbolt device to work.
Just to throw a wrench into this, Above 4G decoding does not resolve the Couldn't Allocate Runtime Area errors on Designare Z390 with multiple PCIe cards installed. Only OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with slide=0 solves the problem for us. So there is no "one size fits all" solution even though I wish there was.

Just to throw a wrench into this, Above 4G decoding does not resolve the Couldn't Allocate Runtime Area errors on Designare Z390 with multiple PCIe cards installed. Only OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000 with slide=0 solves the problem for us. So there is no "one size fits all" solution even though I wish there was.
Agreed! I like this forum, but at times I find it a bit disorganized. Rather than fishing out some of these solutions from various, sometimes unrelated posts, some of these could be organized using common categories. Your suggestion as well as the one that worked for me should be part of the same post that is working to save the same problem.

When I enable VT-d in BIOS, I loose mouse and keyboard after Clover boot menu. Is this normal? @Stork @pastrychef ?

EDIT: I edited config and added dart=0 and was able to get my mouse and keyboard back but i'm not sure it's necessary to have that boot flag in place.

Last edited:
That isn't normal for that board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back