Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS Z170-Deluxe i7-6700K AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got what working?

So I had a similar set up to you, Z170 MB, GTX 1070 FTW running High Sierra. When I replaced my card with a Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC, all I got was a black screen after trying to install Catalina. I finally figured out that it did upgrade, by putting my Nvidia card back in, but I couldn't get the black screen to go away. Finally after about 10 reboots, and manually entering boot args in for agdpmod=pikera (at least 5 of those reboots), it loaded just fine. I don't know if there were residual kexts that were interfering or what. I posted for help on this thread, but decided to open my own on thread under the forums.

30 minutes after I did that, it came up on it's own.

The only thing I'm afraid to test...

It looks like the reason for the black screen has to do with the system definition I had chosen with my prior build (iMac 17,1). According to another forum, I could accomplish the same thing as agdpmod=pikera and WEG with a Kernel and Kext patch. Is that a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing? Will it cause me less headache in the future?

So I had a similar set up to you, Z170 MB, GTX 1070 FTW running High Sierra. When I replaced my card with a Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC, all I got was a black screen after trying to install Catalina. I finally figured out that it did upgrade, by putting my Nvidia card back in, but I couldn't get the black screen to go away. Finally after about 10 reboots, and manually entering boot args in for agdpmod=pikera (at least 5 of those reboots), it loaded just fine. I don't know if there were residual kexts that were interfering or what. I posted for help on this thread, but decided to open my own on thread under the forums.

It looks like the reason for the black screen has to do with the system definition I had chosen with my prior build (iMac 17,1). According to another forum, I could accomplish the same thing as agdpmod=pikera and WEG with a Kernel and Kext patch. Is that a cleaner way to accomplish the same thing? Will it cause me less headache in the future?
Not sure what is a "cleaner way". Latest lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext with agdpmod=pikera boot flag should be good enough with the 5700 XT. I suggest trying what I outlined at the beginning of my post as far as where to place kexts instead of /Library/Extensions with macOS Catalina.

Not sure what is a "cleaner way". Latest lilu.kext and whatevergreen.kext with agdpmod=pikera boot flag should be good enough with the 5700 XT. I suggest trying what I outlined at the beginning of my post as far as where to place kexts instead of /Library/Extensions with macOS Catalina.

I did much the same as you. I switched to VirtualSMC vs FakeSMC, and used AppleALC and Lilu for audio. Before I had been running PikerAlpha's script, but even with CodecCommander, it wouldn't restore audio after sleep.

By cleaner way, I mean that if there is an upgrade, which method is going to be more vanilla, as in, not having to update special kexts, such as WEG & Lilu.

Now the system is crashing on sleep. More fun to figure out.

I did much the same as you. I switched to VirtualSMC vs FakeSMC, and used AppleALC and Lilu for audio. Before I had been running PikerAlpha's script, but even with CodecCommander, it wouldn't restore audio after sleep.

By cleaner way, I mean that if there is an upgrade, which method is going to be more vanilla, as in, not having to update special kexts, such as WEG & Lilu.

Now the system is crashing on sleep. More fun to figure out.
Maybe with Open Core once it gets more mainstream.

Hi, I purchase the AMD Red Devil in tonymac description. My Previous GPU was a GTX 1080 running High Sierra. I upgraded to the latest version of Mojave 10.14.6. I also have the latest version of whatever green and lilu in my kext other folder. I'm also running the latest version of clover. My problem is my Graphic Display only 14 MB. How do I solve this? thanks in advance.

Hi, I purchase the AMD Red Devil in tonymac description. My Previous GPU was a GTX 1080 running High Sierra. I upgraded to the latest version of Mojave 10.14.6. I also have the latest version of whatever green and lilu in my kext other folder. I'm also running the latest version of clover. My problem is my Graphic Display only 14 MB. How do I solve this? thanks in advance.
RX 5700 XT isn't compatible with macOS Mojave. You have to upgrade to macOS Catalina.

There is no cleaner way, you also are required to use the iMacPro1,1 definition if you want H264/HEVC hardware decoding.

Hi thanks for detailed info. anyway is it possible to know if dual monitor works on both hdmi ports.and if it still works after a restart without unplugging/replugging either one.
TIA

Hi thanks for detailed info. anyway is it possible to know if dual monitor works on both hdmi ports.and if it still works after a restart without unplugging/replugging either one.
TIA
The RX 5700 XT RED DEVIL has only 1 HDMI port. Not sure what you're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back