Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING - i7 9700K - RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could use some assistance. I decided to build a second one of these machines. But this time without the RX 580, and I can't for the life of me get the Intel onboard to work post-install. I'm using a i9-9900K CPU. If I put the RX 580 in the machine, it works fine following all of the same steps. But, if I do IGPU only, it never gets past the 2nd reboot where it starts the process when you enter your name/etc at the start of OS X being run for the first time, it black screens right before the Apple logo normally appears with the bar going across the screen.

I get the black screen with "gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0" being the last visible line. Unlike others though, I'm not losing my port signal on DP or HDMI, I just get a black screen with a cursor in the top left corner indefinitely.

I've tried every possible suggestion on the forums, using platform-ids, injection, no injection, framebuffer patch, etc. And I get varying results, but in 99% of the case it's the same end result, just a black screen with a cursor. I've also tried the known Properties config for our motherboard and that too doesn't work.

I just can't figure out how to get past the post-install. Everything works great for the initial install, and the first reboot where the install continues, but the first time I try to boot into the OS, I have this black screen issue. I'm not sure where to go from a troubleshooting perspective any longer...

Any thoughts for anyone who is running IGPU ONLY with no discrete video card installed? Has anyone else gotten this system up and running with IGPU only?

-F
I'm right where you are, black screen with a mouse pointer. I can move the mouse, if I wiggle fast it gets larger, I can even do command-shift-4 and draw a box for a screen grab. Sometimes the pointer turns to a text insert cursor, which leads me to believe there's some text hidden somewhere. I'm at a loss of where to go from here. Attached config, at this point I don't even know where it all came from at this point as I've been hacking away at this for close to a week.
Config: ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming, 9900K, 32GB RAM, M2.1 NVME Samsung 970 Pro 512, AMD 5100MX GPU, though I'm not plugged into it right now. (removing the GPU is a last resort as this has a VERY complex cooling solution that would need full disassembly.

Booting with GPU gets stuck one screen sooner "gIOScreenLockState 3" but then goes black and the monitor turns off.

Attachments

• config.plist
    22.2 KB · Views: 163
Jay, you're actually in a better position than I am. If you have a GPU, the display turning off is likely related to the framebuffer or slot/port configuration which are solvable. With a GPU everything works great for me, it's when I have no GPU and only have the IGPU (Intel 630) I'm stuck in this scenario.

Try this solution to fix your GPU / Black screen issue.

I've been beating on this thing for a week and can't figure out what the solve is. It's more frustrating that I can get fully through the install just fine and only when I boot it for the first time it breaks. Makes no sense...

I don't have a solution for Mojave update 14.3, and had to restore my system back to 14.2 as the IGPU graphics caused a zombied desktop that wouldn't respond to mouse clicks except once every few minutes. This has happed to others too. (This is not a problem with graphic cards)
any ideas?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.2 MB · Views: 184
I'm right where you are, black screen with a mouse pointer. I can move the mouse, if I wiggle fast it gets larger, I can even do command-shift-4 and draw a box for a screen grab. Sometimes the pointer turns to a text insert cursor, which leads me to believe there's some text hidden somewhere. I'm at a loss of where to go from here. Attached config, at this point I don't even know where it all came from at this point as I've been hacking away at this for close to a week.
Config: ROG STRIX Z390-I Gaming, 9900K, 32GB RAM, M2.1 NVME Samsung 970 Pro 512, AMD 5100MX GPU, though I'm not plugged into it right now. (removing the GPU is a last resort as this has a VERY complex cooling solution that would need full disassembly.

Booting with GPU gets stuck one screen sooner "gIOScreenLockState 3" but then goes black and the monitor turns off.
That config.plist has many unnecessary "fixes", DSDT patches that are not relevant to this platfrom, more accurately used on X99 platform.
Boot section has no boot defined under "default loader" -boot.efi should be used-
Devices section: Audio inject on TUF Z390M should be 2, not 16.
Gui doesn't need all those scan entries
Kernel and kextpatches should not be filled with Apple RTC nor KernelPM if you have the right bios configuration, plus all the patches are useless unless you are working under High Sierra and have not make a USB.kext for your particular setup. There is a great guide made by @headkaze about USB plus his utility is awesome and easy to use. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/release-hackintool-v1-8-3.254559/
RT Variables needs to be correctly filled -if you have not already and your plist has deleted objects-
System Param has the nvidia option, but a 560 uses Apple's driver, so no need.

report back with changes and upload your EFI for further inspection.

I don't have a solution for Mojave update 14.3, and had to restore my system back to 14.2 as the IGPU graphics caused a zombied desktop that wouldn't respond to mouse clicks except once every few minutes. This has happed to others too. (This is not a problem with graphic cards)
any ideas?
Try with this EFI I edit from yours, do edit your ID's as you like since they where renewed due to SMBIOS change to iMac18,1.
You should also move critical .kext to /library/extensions/ as @jaymonkey detailed in his guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-el-capitan-sierra-high-sierra-mojave.268964/

Thanks to him

See how it goes and post back

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.3 MB · Views: 152
Try with this EFI I edit from yours, do edit your ID's as you like since they where renewed due to SMBIOS change to iMac18,1.
You should also move critical .kext to /library/extensions/ as @jaymonkey detailed in his guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-el-capitan-sierra-high-sierra-mojave.268964/

Thanks to him

See how it goes and post back

Thank You for your Suggestions. I implemented some of them and was successful in updating to Mojave 10.14.3
Heres what I changed:

1. Removed ALL the Clover ACPI "Default" fixes. Checked " Drop OEM DSM" and Generate Options "PluginType". Removed any SSDT generated tables from "Drop Tables" shows "DMAR" only.
Is this the best settings for power management? Too many "old" suggestions out there.
My power management works well, but always open to improvements.

2. Changed Drivers: Dropped AptioMemoryFix-64, Added AptioInputfix-64 and OSXAptioFixDrv-64.
Complete List for NON Firevault2 Drivers:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AudioDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

3. Kexts kept the same. I know its been suggested to put them in Library Extensions, but I have no issues with Kext loading, and the clover Kext folder has the advantages of easy simple drag and drop changes and kexts being available in SafeMode. (having ethernet is important). My List of Kexts in Clover:

AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext (and sensor kexts)
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBPorts.kext (Custom USB3 support for this MB made easy by HackTool)
WhateverGreen.kext

It would be great to have input from all those that have this motherboard to get some general consensus on clover/bios/Kexts to help new adopters have success faster. Just a thought....

Thanks again for your input!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 3.44.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-18 at 3.44.15 PM.png
    228.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 12.32.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-24 at 12.32.13 AM.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Hey guys first time hackintosh keep getting a kernel panic I followed the 6th post was wondering if someone could share their efi folder I've got the same motherboard and I've got the i5-500 and igpu thanks

Edit: I don't own a Mac I've been making my usb boot drive in an osx vm

See post #76 for a EFI folder.
Good luck, this takes time. Have patience

Have any of you managed to implement the Ethernet with a SSDT?? It's like usual, no fuss, but can't get it to work on PCI device list.. Weird...

Two improved changes I've noticed with Mojave 14.3 update:

1. Awaking from sleep responds normal now with one key press on my keyboard instead of two under 14.2
  2. Both DP and HDMI (IGPU) now work 100% at being hot pluggable at any time. 14.2 HDMI was not hot pluggable.

Thank You for your Suggestions. I implemented some of them and was successful in updating to Mojave 10.14.3
Heres what I changed:

1. Removed ALL the Clover ACPI "Default" fixes. Checked " Drop OEM DSM" and Generate Options "PluginType". Removed any SSDT generated tables from "Drop Tables" shows "DMAR" only.
Is this the best settings for power management? Too many "old" suggestions out there.
My power management works well, but always open to improvements.

2. Changed Drivers: Dropped AptioMemoryFix-64, Added AptioInputfix-64 and OSXAptioFixDrv-64.
Complete List for NON Firevault2 Drivers:

ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi
AptioInputFix-64.efi
AudioDxe-64.efi
DataHubDxe-64.efi
EmuVariableUefi-64.efi
FSInject-64.efi
HFSPlus-64.efi
OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
SMCHelper-64.efi

3. Kexts kept the same. I know its been suggested to put them in Library Extensions, but I have no issues with Kext loading, and the clover Kext folder has the advantages of easy simple drag and drop changes and kexts being available in SafeMode. (having ethernet is important). My List of Kexts in Clover:

AppleALC.kext
FakeSMC.kext (and sensor kexts)
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBPorts.kext (Custom USB3 support for this MB made easy by HackTool)
WhateverGreen.kext

It would be great to have input from all those that have this motherboard to get some general consensus on clover/bios/Kexts to help new adopters have success faster. Just a thought....

Thanks again for your input!
Is there any particular reason you are using SMBIOS MacMini8,1? I'm using iMac18,1 with no problems.

Using /Library/Extensions/ as location for your kext should be an option, not a necessity, but in some cases there is no choice.. Some kext won't load unless placed in that location. Take for instance you'd want to add a WF+BT card for wireless usage.

All available cards that support NGFF atm need kext from @RehabMan repository to work properly -besides the correct USB implementation through SSDT or kext creation due to Bluetooth using a internal USB-, credits to @RehabMan for his extended insight on building the SSDT and to @headkaze for his easy to use hackintool.

So, I would suggest moving kext there. You would only need Ethernet kext in case you'd want to reinstall system from apple server in recovery, which is weird nowadays..

It would certainly help new comers with a full guide, true!

Did you achieve dual monitor boot with Intel UHD 630? I managed to make them work if plugged after wards, but not on boot :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back