Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] ASUS TUF Z390M-PRO GAMING - i7 9700K - RX 580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Single monitor at the moment. If it would help you, I’ll test it with two.
Thank you for the offer - I think there's some more (great) work to be done with Intel HD/UHD 630 onboard patching before we get to that. What I'm most concerned about these days is being able to run dual monitors without having to do complex boot, reboot / plug, unplug routines just to get working dual monitors. I'd like to just be able to boot the system and have working dual monitors via onboard gfx. As a sidenote, I'd run an RX 580, but I'm also concerned about keeping the system as quiet as possible. This thread has been great & I'll continue to watch it!

Would love to know the exact steps you took to do the install. Did you UniBeast and then install the newer Clover over the one included with UniBeast onto the USB before installing?

I have identical hardware to you, and I had the same issue you had in your previous post: I get to the post-install and it just black screens. Would love to know what you did to do a vanilla install cleanly.

Thanks!

-F

The black screen is a video issue. (Your really close!)
Also the Z390 motherboards respond better to a newer version of Clover than MultiBeast provides. Use the latest version of Clover leaving the ACPI defaults. Also try a different video port if you can.
By default my HDMI port would shut my monitor off and go black, but the DisplayPort would stay on and work correctly. I’m using integrated graphics, but your video card maybe doing the same thing. You may have arrived at the OS setup and don’t know it.

Last edited:
..looks like it's going to finish and then just lands on a black screen indefinitely...

What happens if you remove the RX 580 and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics DP port?

Last edited:
What happens if you remove the RX 580 and connect the monitor to the onboard graphics DP port?
I have everything working now, except the audio ports. I have the Audio Kext installed, and the sound works fine through the displayport (monitor speakers), but none of the other ports show up at all in the sound prefs, so for example I can't use headphones.

Is there something special I need to do to enable those ports? I didn't see anything obvious in the other thread.

-F

I have everything working now, except the audio ports.

To recap: AppleALC 1.3.5 and Lilu kexts are installed in /Library/Extensions per post # 46 above, right?

To complete audio setup, need to inject audio layout = 1, 2 or 3 in config.plist:
1. Mount EFI on internal drive (using EFI Mounter v3 from Tonymacx86 Community Software Downloads)
2. Find and open config.plist file in EFI/Clover (Textedit is OK for this, just)
3. Edit Audio Inject - set to 1, 2 or 3:
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>1</string>
4. Delete any leading * before Audio (*Audio) - * hides key and prevents injection
5. Save edit in Textedit File|Save, close Textedit and restart system

Check Sys Prefs/Sound Output/Input for Internal Speakers, Microphone.

Last edited:
To recap: AppleALC 1.3.5 and Lilu kexts are installed in /Library/Extensions per post # 46 above, right?

To complete audio setup, need to inject audio layout = 1, 2 or 3 in config.plist:
1. Mount EFI on internal drive (using EFI Mounter v3 from Tonymacx86 Community Software Downloads)
2. Find and open config.plist file in EFI/Clover (Textedit is OK for this, just)
3. Edit Audio Inject - set to 1, 2 or 3:
<key>Audio</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<string>1</string>
4. Delete any leading * before Audio (*Audio) - * hides key and prevents injection
5. Save edit in Textedit File|Save, close Textedit and restart system

Check Sys Prefs/Sound Output/Input for Internal Speakers, Microphone.
Brilliant, this is what I was missing... everything is working perfectly now.

Thank you NZRichard and others for all of your assistance!

... everything is working perfectly now.

Great job! To help others with the TUF Z390M board could you please indicate if/how you solved these issues:

1. Multiple sticks of RAM - how many sticks, which RAM slots? Which slot for macOS installation?

2. Wi-Fi/BT using BCM94360CS2 card:
- is the new onboard Wi-Fi working now? ... Bluetooth ...?
- did you need an adapter to install the BCM94360CS2 card in the Wi-Fi Go slot? Which adapter (link to product)?
- if you use a Bluetooth (BT) mouse/keyboard - can you navigate Clover options (before macOS boots) using BT device?

3. RX 580 discrete graphics:
- does display work with graphics card now that installation/setup is complete?
- which brand and name of card - Sapphire Pulse, Sapphire Nitro, Gigabyte XXX, ASUS XXX...?

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Just so I'm clear, because I have the same hardware you do, even down to the WiFi card.

You pulled the metal housing and the coaxial antenna ports with the card out of the slot on the motherboard where the back expansion ports are, and dropped the Apple/BMC wifi/BT card directly in that same slot and then manually affixed the coaxial leads off the new WiFi card somewhere to your case. Is that correct?

So if that's the case, then that slot is a standard M2 comms slot and not an Intel CNVI slot.

Can you confirm? Thanks much!

-F

Yes, the on-board CNVI slot works with an M.2 Apple Wifi/Bluetooth card.

Would love to know the exact steps you took to do the install. Did you UniBeast and then install the newer Clover over the one included with UniBeast onto the USB before installing?

I have identical hardware to you, and I had the same issue you had in your previous post: I get to the post-install and it just black screens. Would love to know what you did to do a vanilla install cleanly.

Thanks!

-F

I did a Vanilla install, only using Clover. I did not use UniBeast or MultiBeast. I created a Mojave installer from the terminal to a USB 2.0 flash drive, installed Clover on the USB flash drive and added the KEXTs I'm using to Clover. As far as hardware present at install, I had my RX 580, 32GB RAM, and 1 of the 970 EVO M.2 SSD's. The ASUS WiFi module may have been present, I don't recall, but I didn't use the Apple WiFi/Bluetooth card at install, because I didn't have it yet.

I then booted from the USB drive, formatted the SSD and went through the installer. Once the installer was completed, I booted into Clover from the USB drive, then chose the SSD in clover to boot from. Now at the Mac Desktop, I installed Clover on the macOS SSD, installed the kexts to SSD EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other/ on the macOS SSD. Finally, I removed the USB drive and booted from the SSD.

Hello people, I'm on the verge of building my first Hackintosh and I have a very similar hardware as M.Arai's build. I've read this thread from start to finish but I'm not sure if I should go through the steps described in post #1 (High Sierra first) or try and install Mojave directly as in post #6. Could you point me in the right direction?

ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS GAMING (WI-FI)
i5-8600K
Radeon RX 570 4GB Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back